DVLA Court appearance

jj69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3482 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all can anybody give me some pointers in relation to a letter from DVLA taking me to court for failing to tax car for six months ?

Due to financial restraints,loss of job , mortgage arrears etc I could not afford to tax vehicle end of March although was insured and MOT'd.

I was pushing it and sure enough got caught in June, ironically on my way to work.

It was catch 22 and I had to drive to work an hour away after securing a new contract but could just about afford fuel ( my agency screwed up my weekly payments for the first 2-3 months which is why I ended up with mortgage arrears etc..)

So on the form I can attend or not attend.

I intend to plead guilty with mitigating circumstances ( financial) with a breakdown of outgoings to my creditors.

So will I get points on license ?

Will I have to pay the full fine or can this be done over so many months ?

Is it better to attend court and plead case ?

Can I be sent to court for other instances of being caught by DVLA camera from June onwards ?

Attached to the letter is a photo dated June with the front of my car and registration.The letter claims I was sent reminders over the last few months but I received none.

Anybody who has been through the process can they let me know how it went ?

Thanks JJ

You will not get points for no car tax.

You will be much better placed when it gets heard in court if you can pay the tax back to when it was previously taxed. You will probably need to call DVLA to arrange this. You will then get to court with only an offence of not having tax instead of an additional one for the back tax.

In my experience, they add somewhere between the amount owed and double that to the fine if you owe them.

Back in the day, if you caught it before they issued a summons and paid them up they wouldn't proceed to court.

You will not get points for no car tax.

You will be much better placed when it gets heard in court if you can pay the tax back to when it was previously taxed. You will probably need to call DVLA to arrange this. You will then get to court with only an offence of not having tax instead of an additional one for the back tax.

In my experience, they add somewhere between the amount owed and double that to the fine if you owe them.

Back in the day, if you caught it before they issued a summons and paid them up they wouldn't proceed to court.

Cheers Bandit that is great advice , did not realise this could be done. Will certainly help if I pay this off which I can now afford to do .