HMRC £5k dept & Debt Collectorschasing

KellyG1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3502 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Please help

I received a couple of demand letters from HRMC which I called them and disputed verbally and asked them to send me a break down .

I got nothing from them.

Suddenly I got a letter last week from DCA saying I owe 5k and have to pay.

I am a singly parent with 2 kids and struggling to make ends meet.

Can you please help advise me how to dispute and ask for the breakdown and

also advice me on the best way forward on this.

I am currently unable to pay them anything as I do not even have any funds to my name.

once all my monthly bills are paid.

I am really confused and feel I am being bullied by the HMRC & DCA.

Edited by KellyG1
Amendments

Yes,

It is a tax credit overpayment and I do not remember clearly when I got the letter about the overpayment.

I remember it is more than 3 months ago now.

When I got it I rang them and asked them to provide me with the records and evidence that I was overpaid and how this arose and

to date I have received nothing for records and evidence of overpayment and how. nothing at all.

I received application letters from the HMRC asking me to put in another application for more tax credit which to me didn't add up and

I just then did not complete the application form.

As I was already stressed with what was given to me.

I didn't want anymore grieve from the HRM and less confusion & stress for me.

everything went quite and suddenly last week.

I just then received a letter from a DCA.. and so I am very confused.. please help.

well forget the DCA

they have no powers in this and most 'debt' instances.

they ARE NOT BAILIFFS

and have

NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS.

I'd send HMRC a letter a indicated above.

then await their reply.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The helpline don't have the ability to send you records or send a letter explaining the overpayment other than copies of your awards notices that would have already been sent to you. They can however tell you the reason on the phone.

If you want to see records you need to submit a written subject access request.

Without knowing exact details of what has happened in your case it's hard to give much advice.

Call the normal tax credit helpline. Ask them to confirm over the phone the reason for the overpayment. If you agree the reason, ask to arrange repayments. If not, ask for your options as you are now outwith the timescale.

Many thanks site dx100uk, I will try ignore the DCA.

What type of letter should I send the HMRC please?

Can you please point me in the right direction of a template letter or SAR to send them .

Many thanks

Edited by KellyG1
wrong name

Hello Blundbubbles.

Thanks for your help. But I find that the helpline are so unhelpful sometimes. And they are very abrupt and bullish when you ask them questions and or are trying to dispute their claim.

I think I will prefer to send them the SAR to which they have to respond and respond in writing to my query and request for info. So please advice along the lines of which template letter or SAR I should send them. In order to get clarification and resolve my worries about this.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It's your choice, not all of the helpline staff are like that (there are literally hundreds of them).

A DWP SAR will be of no help, tax credits are administered by HMRC.

Don't have any letter templates, have you tried to google?

There is a form here - https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/DPU_SAR

A SAR in itself won't give you the answer, tax credits are quite complex, you'll need to know the reason for the overpayment to then know what records to look for.

• Haha 1

Many thanks Site team. But looking at the DWP SAR form it doesn't list Tax credit as an item.

Can I not just send them a normal SAR Letter and say this relates mainly to my Tax credit overpayment claim from them?

Or is there one for HMRC that relates specifically to Tax Credit ?.

Many thanks

Kelly G1

I have just had a similar issue with tax credits. They said I didn't declare living with my partner when I had proof I had. Regardless of this they have been chasing me for £3500 for 3 years I sent 2 appeals to them but no one would listen to my argument.

I then decided to go to citizens advice, they were amazing and spoke to hmrc for me, 6 months after I went to see them I received a letter saying I owed them nothing.

If you can gather all the letters you can and take them to the cab, they will also ask tax credits to stop the debt collector letters until the matter is resolved

Many thanks Lennon 204.

I will also approach the CAB. Unfortunately I am currently immobile as I had a foot injury and fracture.

So I am in a foot Cast & Crutches and can't bear weight on my foot.

I am anticipating I will be out of it by the end of this month and I will call them to book an appointment.

Many thanks