TK Maxx RLP? Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3508 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was in TK Maxx a few months ago and a button came off a shirt that I was looking at.

I kept the button with me forgetting that I had it.

On my way out the security guy stopped me and took me into another room.

He said I'd done it on purpose and that I'd be banned from the store (on paper, but he said that I wasn't 'really' banned).

I offered to pay for the shirt which was 15 but he said no.

The guy never took my ID just asked for my name and address and banned me from the store (even though I had just spent over 100 on products),

no police were involved.

Now, I keep getting letters from RLP saying that I owe them 69.99 for damages and that it was criminal damage.

On the letters they have spelled my first name wrong.

Question - what do I do about these letters?

I feel like it is completely out of order as I didn't actually do anything wrong apart from pick up a fault shirt.

Hi smc2

Welcome to CAG

The RLP letters are just that, they are not fines. The police weren't called, if there had been criminal damage and TK Maxx were that concerned, they would have called the police etc. A button costs approx 15p max so what they are demanding is ridculous as they got the button back. They will continue to send letters, you might get letters from debt collectors as well etc.

Ignore the letters, you could consider sending a 'one line letter' denying any debt to them, but that is upto you. As for the letters just file them.

Yep. Just ignore them totally. They wont do anything apart from send a few letters out over the next few months in an attempt to scare you into paying. Theyll even try to get a DCA involved who has less power than your next door neighbours cat.

Forget about it, bin every letter you get and move on with your life.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Sorry but how pathetic can RLP get. Sending demands for the cost of a button.

I would love to see this in court where they would be soundly slapped down (TKMaxx as RLP can't take any action). How on earth can they prove criminal damage. Any CCTV would show the button coming off in your hand, not you ripping it off. No case to answer-simple.

We could have great fun with this one, getting a full breakdown of the 'costs' involved in this alleged 'criminal activity'

My opinion, ignore everything that comes to you from RLP and their pet DCA of the week

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks for the replies. I find the whole thing absolutely ridiculous, the security guard must not have had anything better to do on a quiet sunday afternoon. Needless to say we won't be shopping at tkmaxx again

I have been thinking of this over the past few hours.

If this was me, I would be taking the bull by the horns and writing to TKMaxx and demanding they call off their dogs as ultimately they are responsible for RLPs actions.

I would demand footage of the CCTV showing you deliberately ripping the button off. They won't be able to.

At the same time, write to RLP and demand a full breakdown of their costs (obviously denying any responsibility) explaining that this issue is over a button and should they choose to pursue this, you would be sure the press would be interested.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE