Amazon uk & product liability claim issue

tractorgirl79
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3506 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Please accept my apologies if this is in the wrong section but I am after some assistance with a product liability issue that I believe is subject to compensation.

2 weeks ago, I bought some BN nail polish from Amazon UK (not a market place seller) and upon opening the bottle to use, the base of the glass bottle exploded and the polish colour went over my duvet cover, seeped through to the actual duvet, splattered over my jeans and iPhone screen.

I have complained to amazon and they had initially offered 10.00 pounds compensation then a few hours later upped it to 15.00....Both insulting offers have been declined by me.

I believe that I have full rights to a product liability claim with amazon for full reimbursement of the damages caused - 200.00 plus the iPhone repair or a full replacement as there was clearly a chemical reaction within the ingredients that made the glass bottle explode.

I have highlighted the fact that it could of caused bodily injury but they are being quite ignorant about the whole situation and have not responded to my complaint after I rejected the 15.00 comp.

Am I within my rights to submit a LBA to Chris North at Amazon (the MD) advising of a MCOL within the next 14 days unless I am reimbursed for the damages that I am claiming for ?

I have taken numerous pictures of the damages but at no point have they asked for evidence.

Help needed please

Emma

Hi tractorgirl70

Welcome to CAG

The first thing to do is call your local Trading Standards, you might have to go through CAB. There is a Health & Safety issue if you've purchased a bottle that has exploded.

You should keep what's left over of the product for inspection by Trading Standards. You should take photographs of the bottle and the damage it has caused.

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (purchased nail polish - bottle exploded), how they have let you down (won't compensate fully for damage caused) and what you want them to do (fully compensate). Send the photographs you have with the letter.

Sent it to:-

Mr Christopher North

Amazon UK

Chief Executive

[email protected]

How did you purchase the product?

Also do an internet check to see if others have experienced the same thing.

Hi,

Purchase was made with amazon directly using my master card, they have refunded the 3.99 for the polish even though I didn't say yes to that either.

They have no removed (although may be temporary) from the website as a direct sale, it is still available on amazon via a marketplace seller.

I will send a formal complaint email tomorrow to Chris North email address and will CC in the managing director email address too.

Shall i give them 14 days to respond and then issue a lba ?

I do still have all of the bottle bits.

My main issue is the iPhone repair or replacement and also that our duvet set is no longer available on John lewis so it means buying a new duvet cover & matching pillows - which i assume they also include as it is a matching set

Thanks

Haven't contacted trading standards as yet - Amazon have removed the product too so they are now being responsible for future customers.

I don't think section 75 applies as the cost of actual item was only 3.99, but has caused anything from 250 - 800 pounds worth of damage. Doesn't the item need to have cost over 100.00 to start with ?

Yep it needs to be over £100, trying to multi-task, isn't working. It would be nice to get 'snapshot' of the Amazon webpage.

Haven't contacted trading standards as yet - Amazon have removed the product too so they are now being responsible for future customers.

I don't think section 75 applies as the cost of actual item was only 3.99, but has caused anything from 250 - 800 pounds worth of damage. Doesn't the item need to have cost over 100.00 to start with ?

Yep, send Amazon a letter of complaint, give them an opportunity to reslove the matter first, a court will need to see that you've tired everything to resolve the situation before going to court. Yep a screenshot of the nail polish on Amazon, you can show they were selling it and then stopped selling it.

Ok, so shall I just send a letter of complaint to Amazon UK then with a 14 day deadline before I submit a LBA ?

Screenshot of the nail polish on Amazon ?