Called in for work related interview whilst in Support Group

Toni1980
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3477 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I just wondered whether anybody can help me with this.

I am in the Support Group of ESA and I am also in receipt of both the care component and mobility component of PIP. I received a letter today from my local job centre saying I have to attend a work-focused interview with a view to helping me back into employment.

I telephoned them to ask what it was for and why I was being called in for a work-focused interview whilst in the Support Group and they said it is because there is a new advisor at the job centre and she is calling people in “for a chat, just to get to know them”.

As far as I’m aware the DWP don’t call you in for a chat, just to get to know you.

I’m really worried now that they’re going to try to force me into work or sanction me because I’m not capable of working. They said on the phone I had to attend or it will affect my benefits.

Anybody any ideas why this might have happened and what I can do about it?

somebody will be along later with the regulations you can quote to the jobcentre, but I know that if you're in the support group you do not need to attend the jobcentre at all unless you do so voluntarily, so you can politely decline their invitation and they cannot sanction your benefits for not attending.

When you're given the right regulations to quote send them a letter saying what you were told on the phone and why it's wrong and you won't be attending.

• Confused 1

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thank you very much for that.

I'm worried sick at the minute about this and didn't know what to do. All the worse case scenarios run through your head and I was just working myself up over it all.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, you've put my mind at rest a little.

but I know that if you're in the support group you do not need to attend the jobcentre at all unless you do so voluntarily

I've tried to find the relevant section in the Welfare Reform Act (a nasty, convoluted piece of legislation, especially when you read the amendments) - Can not find anything specific about WFI and ESA.SG compliance.... The leaflet issued by the DWP regarding ESA has this to say:

Support Group

• If you have a condition that severely limits what you can do,

you’ll be in the Support Group. You’ll not be expected to look

for work and we won’t expect you to take part in any work-

focused interviews. But you can choose to take part in them

if you want.

Toni1980: Does the letter from the DWP say anything along the lines of "your benefits may be affected if you do not attend" or use the word "mandatory" ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Please don't take my word for it, especially if there is a threat of a sanction. I'd suggest ringing the DWP, quote the above text and insist that the matter is clarified in writing by a manager that is conversant with ESA and Support Group requirements.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

To my disgust, the DWP didn't advise me of my rights when I claimed ESA and was in the Support Group aged 60 and 7 months.

I simply received a letter telling me to report to the Work Provider to discuss how I was to get back into work and what actions I needed to take.

I had over 6 months of two weekly 1 hour sessions of aggravation and stress until I found out by accident that it was only voluntary for me to attend because of my age and ESA award.

I've tried to find the relevant section in the Welfare Reform Act (a nasty, convoluted piece of legislation, especially when you read the amendments) - Can not find anything specific about WFI and ESA.SG compliance.... The leaflet issued by the DWP regarding ESA has this to say:

Thanks for this. I will do as you suggest and ring the local office again and ask for clarification from a manager.

They've even used my old married name on the letter. I haven't had that name for 2 years and I changed it with the DWP immediately when I got divorced. I'm starting to believe that this might be an automatic letter based on an out-of-date record, maybe.

Toni1980: Does the letter from the DWP say anything along the lines of "your benefits may be affected if you do not attend" or use the word "mandatory" ?

The exact wording is:

"Do I need to come to the interview?

Yes, you must take part in the interview, unless you have a good reason not to. If you don't take part in the interview, your benefit could be affected."

To my disgust, the DWP didn't advise me of my rights when I claimed ESA and was in the Support Group aged 60 and 7 months.

I simply received a letter telling me to report to the Work Provider to discuss how I was to get back into work and what actions I needed to take.

I had over 6 months of two weekly 1 hour sessions of aggravation and stress until I found out by accident that it was only voluntary for me to attend because of my age and ESA award.

Wanton, that is shocking! I hope you managed to sort things in the end.

Thanks for this. I will do as you suggest and ring the local office again and ask for clarification from a manager.

They've even used my old married name on the letter. I haven't had that name for 2 years and I changed it with the DWP immediately when I got divorced. I'm starting to believe that this might be an automatic letter based on an out-of-date record, maybe.

The exact wording is:

"Do I need to come to the interview?

Yes, you must take part in the interview, unless you have a good reason not to. If you don't take part in the interview, your benefit could be affected."

Wanton, that is shocking! I hope you managed to sort things in the end.

Thanks, yes I did, but not after 28 weeks of hell, plus £5 of fuel per visit x 14 visits which I had to pay for!!

When I approached the provider (RBL) all they could say that EVERYONE that claims an off/out of work benefit MUST do all they can to find/get back into full time employment.

Eventually and after many fruitless telephone conversations/visits (effectively thrown out on each one as I didn't have an appointment) I managed to speak to a manager at the JCP. He told me that I was right, in that no one over 60 and/or in the Support Group of ESA is required to attend those meetings. I asked why then was I 'instructed' to do so? He said that the letter wasn't clearly written and I had probably misread it, but nevertheless most if not all ESA claimants of my age and those in the SG know that it is only voluntary - 'I could have asked the JCP when I received the letter but chose not to'.

Don't forget to follow up anything you are told on the phone by letter along the lines of 'as discussed with xxx on (date) at (time) I understand that ...

This gives them chance to disagree with your recollection, and if they don't, they must agree! Even better, record calls if you can. DWP are notorious for misrecording/failing to record information given on the phone.

This is not a criticism of DWP staff by the way - I suspect the call centre staff are under enormous pressure to get through calls as quickly as they can and so simply don't have time to record more than brief details.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

People in the SG are not required to take part in such things. I'd ask them to check LMS (one of the computer systems, Labour Market System) and explain why you've been called for a Work-Focused Interview.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• 2 weeks later...