County Court claim Welsh water

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just recieved a county court claim dated 01/09/14 from Welsh Water for water charges and sewerage charges for the period 01/04/14 to 31/03/15.

The amount being claimed is £558.12 plus court fee £60 and solicitors costs £70.

I made a payment of £288.12 on the date the county court claim was issued not knowing that Welsh Water had issued the claim. This payment represents more then the 5 months charges I actually owe Welsh Water.

My question is are Welsh Water legally allowed to issue a county court claim for water and services I have not yet recieved and if not how do I formulate a defence ?

Thank you in advance for your invaluable help and advice.

Hi Black Snake

Indeed they are allowed to charge the full year...it clearly states this on their statement should you default in payment.The fact that you have since made payment and now the debt stands at £270.00 plus court fee £60 and solicitors costs £70.(£400.00)

So you dont have a valid defence...best to try and pay the balance or speak to them to request a payment plan (although they may decline now as you have defaulted)

With regards to the claim form you can amend the amount now outstanding and either continue to defend or admit.Should they proceed and you do get a CCJ you have a month to pay it in full anyway therefore avoiding the CCJ being registered.

You will not be offered monthly payment plans in the future by Welsh water as they will look at this and decline.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi Andy

Thank you for your quick replay even though it was not the reply I was hoping for as it appears there is little point in submitting a defence. Is there a way you can suggest of contacting Welsh Water and paying the balance early and avoiding the court and solicitor fees ?

You see that's the problem once the claim is issued...the costs.. the sting in the tail.You could ring them and try to negotiate a plan....or ask for settlement by way of a Consent Order if they are prepared to drop their costs and sol fees and discontinue the claim.

Can you offer a valid reason for defaulting on the monthly payment arrangement?

A Consent Order or A Tomlin Order can be agreed between parties to stay the current litigation and will contain a schedule(agreement) that both parties are bound to adhere to.You would agree payment by x or monthly payments of £ by X to settle the balance they could agree to stay the claim and each party bear its own costs but should you fail to follow and abide by this order they will request judgment...no second chances.

If they refuse or state that the costs remain then personally I would just admit the claim and pay the new amount by the stated date...no CCJ no trace of the claim.

No I dont really have a valid reason other I have been preoccupied with other personal events going on in my life.

Can you explain Consent Order please ?

Always safer to arrange a Direct Debit or Standing Order...then being preoccupied has no relevance and safeguards the monthly payment facility.

Thank you how would I go about applying for a Consent order ?

Just mention it when you ring them with your proposals...you cant apply for it ...its agreed between both parties if the claimant shows interest in the first place.