nuisance call prevention service

rattters
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Just wanted to say that a truecall unit (there are other brands though) stopped all these types of calls. Over a certain age and you can be a real target- and the level of calls can be horrendous.

A call blocker is the easiest way to sort it out - worked a treat for an older relative who was getting 12 or more calls a day from overseas and within the UK. TPS registration made no difference except to ensure he got caught by the 'pay us £50 to stop nuisance calls' [problem] because it sounded familiar- but automatic call screening proved miraculous. Watch out for the solar panels, magic heating box, your computer has a virus, there has been fraud on your bank account, etc- your relative is on a list now and will be targeted by hard sell methods.

Also, register your relative with the mail preference service- the 'you've won a lottery' , cheap £10 shower gel, spend £50 to save 5p leaflets will be coming through the door too along with the miracle health cures. The mail version seems to work a bit better than the phone- maybe because the local postie takes extra personal care?

Hi, Catherine I seem to remember you gave evidence to the Inquiry in to Nuisance Calls??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

And you are in no way affiliated with truecall ??? :suspicious:

Hi

No- just pushed to desperation with older relative whose life was being made a misery by [problem] callers. It was expensive- but worth it. I used the unit myself at home for a week or so and you set them up online with varying levels of screening. This meant it just worked when plugged in at relative's house. No doubt other blockers do the same thing- but this is the one we chose and it has worked. The main issue of course being not what your mother has already spent- but what she might be induced to spend in the future and the sheer stress of dealing with all the calls. Strangely, that one week seems to have reduced our calls as well- some regular offenders crossed us off their list I suspect. Sounds too good to be true? No- it is just that it actually does the job you need it to do.

Hi, Catherine I seem to remember you gave evidence to the Inquiry in to Nuisance Calls??

not me- or at least not intentionally (I might have put something in along the lines of 'something must be done' if there was a consultation- I can't remember doing so though. Our unit was bought a while ago now.

not me- or at least not intentionally (I might have put something in along the lines of 'something must be done' if there was a consultation- I can't remember doing so though. Our unit was bought a while ago now.

I just recalled what was some " unwritten " evidence given and your name seemed familiar, took a look in my archive and there it was!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I'd just like to say I am in no way associated with Truecall other than having one of their units. I bought one about eighteen months ago and I wouldn't be without it - I'd go hungry or cold first. I was plagued with calls offering to reclaim PPI etc. despite being registered with the TPS and since installing Truecall only one call centre call has got through. They gave up fast enough too because they knew full well they were being recorded.

Thank you everyone for all your input. I must just say I was suspicious of Catherine as she had no posts and that seemed to be her first post about Trucall.

I am going to order one most definitely - if it goes anyway near reducing her cold calls it will be a blessing.

I used to watch programs on TV and think how can anyone be so silly as to fall for [problem] callers and sign up for charities- and then my mum - who is very independant, fit- she power walks 8 miles everyday, intelligent - but now is a nervous wreck and has signed up to so many charities and engages in conversation with people like this or someone selling her diamonds, even a **** bag door to door salesman who sold her a pack of jay cloths for £10!!! It is heartbreaking. It is my turn to look after her and protect her from harm as she did for me as a child :-(

Sounds like a good plan to me, ratters :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I do wonder where these [lowlifes] harvest the information from.... I suspect some of it is from these online quotation sites.

If a website requires a telephone number, I enter the number garnered from the last cold calling hell desk. In the past, the number used has been for DLG (home style surveys), thehearingclinic.co, and several solar panel reseller outfits. Does it work ? I don't know, but if we can get these call centres to waste their time and money calling each other, they will have less time to [problem] the rest of us.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

yep, get a quote for anything from a comparison site and you give your details to anyone who buys their lists.

However, the government has a worse scheme and that is the monthly reporting from your doctors surgery. All of your details are uploaded and passed on to a central computer who then sells it to anyone who is interested, and it includes your NI number, NHS number etc so you can be easily identified as a target.