nuisance call prevention service

rattters
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if I have posted in the right place! Just found a letter from this company that have charged my elderly mother £121 for nuisance call prevention (she bought a little box from a shop and couldn't get it to work-related so called the helpline) . It doesn't work!!! I have already added her to the free Service- is it TPS? Are they [problematic]? What rights do we have to get a refund? Funnily enough they aren't answering their phone!!!!

Many thanks

How did your Mother pay for the unit ?

I try and find if someone can help you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

When was it purchased?

You have the SOGA 1979, if it doesn't work, it's not fit for purpose.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Remember to cancel any direct debits.

She paid cash for the unit at a shop and rang the helpline and somehow ended up committing to pay them £29.99 a month for 4 months!!!!******s!!!!

Can you tell us the name of this company please ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Can you tell us the name of this company please ?

Nuisance Call Prevention Service

The problem is my mum suffers so badly with her memory - she didn't buy it in a shop!!! I've just been there and it's not one of their products!!! She bought her phone there!!! She seems to think now it was a magazine advert! She rang them and ordered it . Bank have been informed not to accept any demands for payment from them - it wasn't a direct debit- if was a card payment and they took £29.99 a month for 4 months!!

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/news1.html

If your Mother has already had payments taken out of her account, then you might want to speak to the bank about having them reversed. As you will see from the link above, TPS are aware that there is a bogus company trading on their name.

If you scroll down to the very bottom of the page linked above, you will see that there is a list of companies who the TPS say you should NOT pay any money to and the one you have mentioned above is on that list.

BCOBS

Hi Ratters,

I've had calls offering to help stop me getting unwanted calls, at a cost.

I wonder if a similar overseas call outfit got your mum to pay, and sent this useless box in response.

Instruct the bank in writing NOT to make any further payments, as well as seeking a reversal due to fraud.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Ratters,

I've had calls offering to help stop me getting unwanted calls, at a cost.

I wonder if a similar overseas call outfit got your mum to pay, and sent this useless box in response.

Instruct the bank in writing NOT to make any further payments, as well as seeking a reversal due to fraud.

On further investigation - my mum has now recalled that this is what happened! How unbelievable is this? Quite ironic too- there needs to be some major action from the government regarding these sort of things. I would get my mum a mobile phone but she would never be able to use it and has to have the landline for her SOS service!!!

On further investigation - my mum has now recalled that this is what happened! How unbelievable is this? Quite ironic too- there needs to be some major action from the government regarding these sort of things. I would get my mum a mobile phone but she would never be able to use it and has to have the landline for her SOS service!!!

We had two calls yesterday afternoon from a company offering to block all nuisance calls,

the sales man without and intro went into his pitch about how many such calls were made each day the type of calls etc.

Then asked Have you got your debit or card with you so we can start the service today for just £42.00.

At no time did he mention a company name, needless to say their number was with held.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Regulating calls from overseas will continue to be a problem as they use technology to display UK numbers and avoid detection.

Keep us updated please. :-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

It is just soul destroying! I sat and cried today having finished going through my mums finances and helping her sort all her stuff out. She physically jumps out of her skin when the phone rings :( . The bank are sending a claim form for a charge back.

I actually got through to them on the phone and requested a refund because the box doesn't work and that it was not made clear to my mum that they would be taking 4 payments etc etc. He said they could't as it has been 4 months and there is a 2 week cooling off period to cancel the contract!

I said that doesn't count if the goods are faulty and my mum isn't getting the service she has paid for! He wouldn't have it- he said they wont refund- they will only replace it. I said I was taking it further and requested their regitration number - he was typing on a computer and gave me a number- haven't checked it yet. I then asked for his name and the managing director/company owner (I have no business knwledge!!!) he was very hesitant and said- erm.....it's a gentleman called Bill.

I laughed so hard and said ok- does this gentleman have a surname and the pause was hilarious as he was either making one up or was worried about giving it to me- Bill Burey if anyone is good at detective work. I asked for the adress which he gave me- it differed slightly to the address on the paperwork - so I queried this and he said- oh yeah- that's our old address I just gave you- I laughed again and said when you turned up at work today- did you turn up at the right address!!!!

I will post the address tomorrow- paperwork is with my mum who is asleep :) .

In the 3 days I was at my mums there was a total of 26 calls- I am looking into the mobile phone Age Uk promote for the elderly that literally just makes and receives calls and unplug her land line phone.

Thankyou all so much for your help and input- this forum helps me maintain my sanity :/

Edited by citizenB

Contact CAB, see if they can pass on your complaint to Trading Standards, there will be lots of elderly people who have been left to the mercy of this company. This company has access to people's ages, so probably targets them.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_protection_for_the_consumer_e/protection_trading_standards_e/reporting_a_problem_to_trading_standards.htm

Hi. Just wanted to say that a truecall unit (there are other brands though) stopped all these types of calls. Over a certain age and you can be a real target- and the level of calls can be horrendous.

A call blocker is the easiest way to sort it out - worked a treat for an older relative who was getting 12 or more calls a day from overseas and within the UK. TPS registration made no difference except to ensure he got caught by the 'pay us £50 to stop nuisance calls' [problem] because it sounded familiar- but automatic call screening proved miraculous. Watch out for the solar panels, magic heating box, your computer has a virus, there has been fraud on your bank account, etc- your relative is on a list now and will be targeted by hard sell methods.

Also, register your relative with the mail preference service- the 'you've won a lottery' , cheap £10 shower gel, spend £50 to save 5p leaflets will be coming through the door too along with the miracle health cures. The mail version seems to work a bit better than the phone- maybe because the local postie takes extra personal care?

Edited by citizenB

Hi. Just wanted to say that a truecall unit (there are other brands though) stopped all these types of calls. Over a certain age and you can be a real target- and the level of calls can be horrendous.

A call blocker is the easiest way to sort it out - worked a treat for an older relative who was getting 12 or more calls a day from overseas and within the UK. TPS registration made no difference except to ensure he got caught by the 'pay us £50 to stop nuisance calls' [problem] because it sounded familiar- but automatic call screening proved miraculous. Watch out for the solar panels, magic heating box, your computer has a virus, there has been fraud on your bank account, etc- your relative is on a list now and will be targeted by hard sell methods.

Also, register your relative with the mail preference service- the 'you've won a lottery' , cheap £10 shower gel, spend £50 to save 5p leaflets will be coming through the door too along with the miracle health cures. The mail version seems to work a bit better than the phone- maybe because the local postie takes extra personal care?

And you are in no way affiliated with truecall ??? :suspicious:

ratters, CAG promotes True Call as well - it is by all accounts one of the best.

We did use to sell it ourselves, but Amazon gave a better deal :)

BCOBS

:thumb:

BCOBS

Hi Ratters,

Have you found a company name yet for this outfit ?

CAG has advocated the use of Trucall machines for years and they have helped many users be free of unwanted calls.