• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Illegal sublet now face being kicked out!

*RainbowTears*
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Mornin CAGgers,

Approx 3 weeks or so ago, a young man who I'll call Mr Z, moved out of a homeless unit (due to his age) & into private renting (PR). He is working & paid weekly.

This PR is actually a room in a 4 bed house & is 1 of 2 rooms that the LL rents out.

On the day Mr Z moved in, he had to pay £150 which was 1 weeks rent & 1 weeks rent in advance.

There is/was no contract & Mr Z was verbally told the £75 is to be paid in cash & weekly, there after.

Fast forward 2 weeks, Mr Z starts a 2nd job (which will be paid monthly) & a few days later, Mr Z loses his 1st job which paid weekly.

So Mr Z asked his LL could he pay his rent at end of the month when he gets his wages from his "new" job. LL verbally agreed.

1 week on, the other T in the other room moved out owing rent of £110. This had nothing to do with Mr Z.

LL then approaches Mr Z & says that due to the actions of the other T, he now wants his rent money weekly on a Thursday.

Mr Z cannot do this as he lost weekly paid job & his main job is paid monthly. (He's due to be paid at end September). So LL has said to Mr Z to get out as he was only paid up until last Thursday!

Rent payments made so far are;

14/8 - paid £150

21/8 - paid £75

28/8 - paid £75

04/9 - paid £0 (as LL agreed week before to monthly payments)

This is where it now gets truly bad. As Mr Z has unfortunately found out, the PR room is actually in a Council owned property that the LL rents & is in receipt of HB for!!

The LL does not actually live in this Council property at all, he is in fact living with his partner in her house!

So benefit fraud is being committed by the LL & he is also subletting 2 bedrooms out to youngsters for cash.

Mr Z now finds himself in a truly awful situation & is now facing being made homeless as LL has told him he has to leave tomorrow.

Mr Z has no other place to go too. He also made a threat to LL saying he will go to the Council & basically "grass him up".

Which obviously hasn't helped his situation!

What can Mr Z do in his situation. It is quite urgent due to the current situation. So I am asking on his behalf as I'm trying to help him do this the right way....

Thanks Ev1...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Sounds tricky.

I do not think he has much in the way of legal rights in regards to this tenancy. Sadly this is why noone should use verbal contracts when it comes to important things like renting etc.

Without being an expert I feel mr Z should speak to Shelter who would be able to guide him in the process of approaching the council to see if he is eligable for support and rehousing.

Without a doubt the LL is going to get caught out.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I would change the locks and contact the council asking for an officer to attend.

They would immediately terminate the "LL" tenancy as he's not living there and subletting, thus committing benefit fraud.

And if he comes at the door Mr Z could call the police as he would feel intimidated.

If I recollect a similar case, the council would give 7 days to evacuate the property or even get the tenants stay if they qualify for council accommodation, but I am not too sure of this.

Unless mr Z qualified to be at the top of the council waiting list, permanent stay to reside there is not going to happen.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Unless mr Z qualified to be at the top of the council waiting list, permanent stay to reside there is not going to happen.

Many thanks for all the replies so far..

Mr Z is a single young man, he has in the past approached the Council, as he was given his Eviction notice from the Homeless shelter, (at which he had lived in for past several years) as when you turn a certain age you have to leave there..

So Mr Z went to the Council with his Eviction notice & they were not interested as he's a young man on his own. The only thing they could suggest was for him to find a room & PR..

This he did in fact do just a little over 3 weeks ago & now finds himself in a right mess.

I did at the time warn him about getting a contract as without one he would have no rights. But as Mr Z had to leave the Homeless shelter by end of September, he jumped at the chance of this offered room.

As no other form of housing was offered anywhere else!

Which I get, he was in a fix as he had to leave & at that point any place would have done.

Mr Z is in a worse situation now though, as he is illegally sub letting in a LL unoccupied Council house & now faces being kicked out. (as per my OP).

So I will advise him to speak to the LA Housing office & Shelter but either way it's not looking good for him. He is looking at being out on the streets once again!!

Ive told Mr Z he needs to keep in his job as without one he is totally sunk, but he doesn't get paid until end of Sept!!

I know he's up sh*tcreek without a paddle,

I really wish I could do more for him, but he is miles away from me.

I find it so sad how a young man whose trying to get his life on track & as he's just finally found a good paying job & now is facing being Homeless & the Council won't help him as he is NOT a priority!!

I would change the locks and contact the council asking for an officer to attend.

They would immediately terminate the "LL" tenancy as he's not living there and subletting, thus committing benefit fraud.

And if he comes at the door Mr Z could call the police as he would feel intimidated.

If I recollect a similar case, the council would give 7 days to evacuate the property or even get the tenants stay if they qualify for council accommodation, but I am not too sure of this.

I agree with this post.

I agree with this post.

Thanks Conniff,

I still dont get what locks is Mr Z ment to change?

As he is renting a small bedroom within the house & not the house as a whole.

Mr Z room does not have a lock on it either as it seems "others" have been in there going through his personal belongings...

He also has no money right now to afford to buy food etc... I've had to lend him some for now.

I will talk to him in the morning about going to speak to the LA Housing office & see what they can/can't do for him..

Many thanks again to you all!!

• 4 months later...

Rainbow tears, is there an update on this ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Rainbow tears, is there an update on this ?

Thanks for asking CB.

I did speak with Mr Z & passed on the suggestions made on this thread.

Mr Z knew he was in a very bad situation without many choices & he did not want to end up homeless again.

So he spoke to the LL & basically used the fact that he was illegally subletting as a way of getting the LL to agree to accept him paying monthly & not evicting him.

I know this wasn't ideal but Mr Z felt so desperate as he had been back to the Council Housing & they didn't want to help him in anyway.

As he is now 22 & no longer a youngster at risk (he was in the Homeless unit from age 16 until he had to leave just after he turned 22 last year). He went from having so much support in there to absolutely nothing at all & the Council didn't want to know.

He has also since this time, been saving up what he can from his wages, to enable him to get out off there into the PR sector.

Hopefully in the near future this will become a reality for him...

I'm still helping him as & when I can, to make sure he is doing okay.

As you say, not ideal, but for the time being he has a roof over his head.

Has he contacted shelter? http://england.shelter.org.uk/?_ga=1.45334436.1495138208.1422644260

They might be able to put him in touch with an agency that would be able to help.

I am assuming you have contacted Housing Trusts/Associations ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D