style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3480 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was caught shoplifting nail varnish from tesco today,

to be honest I have been stealing nail varnish for awhile now I don't no why, my Nana passed away last year and my relationship of 5 year broke down, not that this is any excuse only reason I can think of its really not like me to steal,

normally I shop at sainsburys and I haven't been caught, but when shopping at tesco today I got caught, I paid for my shopping (not the varnish) and went to walk out the shop, when I got stopped and taken to a room out the back,

I can hardly remember anything that was said, I think they said there was cctv, I had previously been to pets at home before going to tesco, they took out everything from my bags and went through the receipts, they asked why the nail varnish wasn't on there

i lied saying i don't know it was a mistake, they said because it was under £10 (£9.50) they wouldn't call the police but they would pass my information to rlp, they took my address and asked for Id so I gave my passport they did not take a copy of it.

My main question is will i now have a criminal record?

If I don't pay the bill will i get a criminal record?

should i pay the bill?

I feel very ashamed not just for being caught but for every other time I done it i don't no why I do it, it doesn't make me feel good so I don't know why I do it, it is probably a good thing I got caught hopefully it will be a wake up call.

Thank you for any help.

You'll soon receive a letter from RLP, the letter will ask for a stupid amount of approx. £175.00

You are more than safe to ignore not only the first letter but also the next series of letters that follow, the letters try to sound tough and each one varies in threats from pulling your finger nails out (no pun intended) to public flogging.

The letters will be written with personal details included within the paragraphs to give it a personal to you touch unlike the normal template DCA letters.

RLP have tried twice before in Court & have failed.

The goods were returned and could be sold immediately, you did not divert any staff from their duties because that is what Security Staff do!

Therefore, no loss, no money to RLP.

Hopefully has you said this is a wakeup call, put it behind you, rebuild your life, do not be afraid of seeking help if needed & have a fantastic life.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Hiya thank you for you reply,

Yeah I read alot on them not stopped since I got in 4hours ago!

My work do an enhanced disclosure every year so just want to know if it's going to appear on it?

Also does anyone know why if rlp are not a legally bound company and people can get away with not paying there best, then why do the companys people steal from not hand out there own fine rather then go to rlp?

:-) thank you for your reply.

Because the Police were not involved, no Criminal action has been recorded & therefore your Record is still clean.

The Companies will not go after people who shoplift directly because, the main part of shoplifters do so through drug/alcohol addiction or a necessity to survive.

This will not be a good Business model, the Media/Social Networks will pick up on only certain cases that involve people with mental health issues or a single mum/pensioner shoplifting for a meal.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

In a nutshell, all lettersvfrom rlp can be binned.

You can then have a laugh at jackie and co.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for all your replys. So nothing happens if you get caught shoplifting...

Do you know if I will be banded from all tesco shops or just the one I was in?

And sorry for sounding like a broken record, but can the police not get involved if I don't pay what rlp tell me to pay? Or can rlp get the courts or even get tesco back involved if payment isn't made? (sorry again for the probably stupid questions)

Youve read the threads. Rlp wont do anything. Neither will tesco.

Ignore the letters. Stayvaway from tesco for a few weeks. Stop shoplifting and get on with your life.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

If you get caught by Tesco's again they will undoubtedly take a harder line and you will be interviewed by the police, who will decide if you are going to be prosecuted.

Even the police interview will get you on the criminal intelligence computer and that will find its way into an advanced CRB chack so give up your criminal activities while nothing yet has happened to draw attention to yourself.

As i said before. Ignore everything from RLP, stay away from tesco for a good month or two, and for the love of god. STOP SHOPLIFTING. You WILL end up on much more serious trouble.

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Hopefully now that you have been caught, you will try and understand the reasoning behind your behavior and address it. It may be that a visit to your doctor may be in order to rule out depression.

With Tesco, as they chose not to get the police involved then there will be nothing on any criminal database. Security at Tesco are not stupid. They know that the police tend not to get involved with minor shoplifting and that even if they did, a caution or a fixed penalty would be dished out. Therefore, they are more than happy to pass on your details to RLP.

RLP prey on your ignorance. They fill their letters with all sorts of legal language that try and make you believe that they have some legal power over you- They don't!

Only Tesco can take any action and they cannot be bothered as they costs to take you to court would outweigh what they would get in damages. You see, what RLP demand in 'compensation' would never stand up as there are many of the things stated in their letters which are false.

As advised, you can safely ignore them. The only time to be concerned is if (and it is a BIG IF) court papers pooped through your letterbox. there hasn't been any court cases by any store that RLP act for that have gone to court for over 2 years. If they were so certain they would win, why are they no longer doing so?

I will leave you to work out the reason.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thank you all for your replys they have helped alot! I have been wanting to go to the doctors for a good while now but always chicken out as I feel I'm being silly.

If they send court letters out is it easily noticeable they are court letters and not just letters threatening to take you to court? Sorry if that is a really stupid question :-S

Hi sh088

Court documents will have a 'court stamp'.

As the guys have said you need to stop taking 'nail varnish', shop around look for deals etc. It sounds like it's a recent thing which could be down to the recent events that you stated, 'my Nana pass away last year and my relationship of 5 year broke down'.

Ok thanks I haven't yet received a letter from rlp, but I will look out for a court letter, how long would i be wanting if I were to get a court letter do you know?

Yes it a fairly recently thing I don't particularly use or ware nail polish so don't know why I would steal it:-/.

Thank you.

The chances of getting court papers are slim to none so don't even let that cross your mind. I just mentioned it as it is something that might happen. I seriously doubt any such papers will ever emerge. Just wait for the RLP tripe to arrive, come back here and we will be able to dissect the letters into their various 'mistruths'

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Thank you to everyone that has replied to me. I will come back on once I get the letter to let you all know what it says just to make sure it's the same as all the others, if that's ok.

• 2 weeks later...

[ATTACH]53331[/ATTACH]

Hiya, I have just received my letter, I am not sure how to upload it onto here so I am just going to copy what it says.

We act on behalf of tesco, we are instructed that on the 2nd of September 2014 at our clients premises in edinburgh you committed a wonderful act causing loss to our client.

In legal terms, your wrongful interference with our clients property give rise to a claim in delict, which is a civil wrongdoing. The law of delict provides a legal remedy for our client, to be compensated by you for all reasonably foreseeable, consequential losses, caused by you.

In addition to the cost of any goods not recover or fit for resale your wrongful actions diverted our clients staff from their normal duties for a significant period of time causing disruption to its business, for which our client is legally entitled to be compensated for. This excludes the time taken by personal involved such as, security, management, administrative and shop floor staff.

Collectively a substantial amount of time was taken up in vigilantly observing your actions and apprehending, detaining and interviewing you in relation to the incident therefore our client had to follow all recording, reporting and back office procedures in relation to the incident for the detection and prevention of crime. The incident also gives rise to administration costs and maintain systems to deal with this incident.

Although the cost our client is entitled to recover are considerable, our client seeks only a contribution towards those losses from you by way of a fixed amount of £89.50, a figure which our client considers is proportionate, but sufficient to act as a deterrent to a future incident. Provided our client does not seek to recover in excess of its losses, such losses are recoverable in law.

This matter is in relation to civil proceedings, the purpose of criminal proceedings is to convict, punish and rehabilitate. The purpose of our clients civil action is to be compensated for its losses, and to serve as a deterrent to further incidents.

Civil law encourages early exchange of information to promote settlement of claims. Accordingly, you now have these options

- You can pay the amount in full of £89.50 (payment methods are detailed in the enclosed sheet)

- if you cannot pay the amount in full, we may be able to offer instalments payments (see enclosed sheet)

- negotiate settlement by contacting out collections department (see enclosed sheet)

- Submit a written defence to the claim with a full account of your version of events.

You should take independent legal advice about your position if in doubt. You may be entitled to free legal advice from a law firm who hold a public funding franchises or a law center or other advice agency.

We require payment or a response from you within 21 days from the date of this letter. Our offices can be contacted by telephone on 01159 706 231 Monday to friday 8:30am to 5:30pm and Saturday 9:00am to 2:00pm.

Yours sincerely

Retail loss prevention limited

Is this the normal letter they send? and should i just forget about it?

Yep, another standard letter. I have seen this one many, many times before. I do have to mention the amazing typo you did but I think it represents the real brain behind RLP.

We act on behalf of tesco, we are instructed that on the 2nd of September 2014 at our clients premises in edinburgh you committed a wonderful act causing loss to our client.

That did make me smile :lol:

RLP have many template letters to send, all slightly different from the last in a few details. The thing to understand is that they have no basis in law and as such can be ignored.