inheritance

wanton

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2791 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

[...] we need a ground floor bedroom due to my wife's disabilities. We have always had the intention to build a single storey extension to provide a double bedroom and a walk in shower room

In case you are not aware of it - You may well find you can claim VAT exemption for any building works that are for the benefit of a disabled occupant. For some adaptations, grants are also available, but these usually have qualifying conditions attached (usually a savings ceiling).

As an example, once my mother was registered blind, we could get a new bathroom built and not pay any VAT. Financial assistance was also available in the form of grants as long as her savings were below £23,000 and she remained in the property for a minimum of (I think) five years.

• Confused 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Some info about VAT from HMRC: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/builders/disabled.htm (side note: You may also qualify for VAT relief when it comes to purchasing a car).

As for grants, you'd need to talk to the Adult Social Services department at the county council. Failing that, check to see if you have a local Age Uk office and have a chat with them. There is quite a bit of help and support out there, but it isn't always easy to find or access until you know who to ask. The level of support also depends on the disability and savings/income.

I only scratched the surface when I had to look into this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.