Caught shoplifting in IKEA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3515 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I did a really stupid thing and shoplifted some items from IKEA.

I was caught and the security guard, after checking my receipt, said that he would not call the police

and proceeded to issue me with a lifetime ban from all UK IKEA stores.

He told me that my picture (which was taken with the security camera in the questioning room)

would be posted to all the IKEAs and I would be recognised if I entered any IKEA stores in the UK.

This is my first offence and I was very lucky he did not call the police and I missed a criminal record (as this would have prevented me working),

but I still felt the consequence was very harsh.

I was made to sign the letter banning me and in it, it quotes that I am unable to access any UK IKEA governed space

(including carparks and grounds for ever).

I am so gutted and can not believe that I was so stupid as to try and steal such rubbish.

The problem is that I like IKEA and it is really useful for work things etc..

...I wondered if IKEA would recognise me if I entered another store?

Surely they would not have face-recognition cameras and surely their security guards would not be checking facial images

of every person that enters a store?

Do you think it would be safe to enter a store?

Or could I write to IKEA head office and ask if they could reconsider there ban as I have learnt my lesson?

Am I being crazy even considering this or being worried that I can no longer visit an IKEA store.

Should I just cut my losses and thank my lucky stars that it was not more serious consequence?

Please help me or share your experience if this has happened to you

Thanks

theres no evidence that any uk stores/centre actually run that software.

quite honestly I'd not be worried

and just use the store as usual

all they'd do is ask you to leave under trespass laws anyway.

I'd be a bit more concerned [but NOT] about RLP

you'll prob get a series of threat-o-grams to pay anything upto £147.50

totally IGNORE them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Stay away from ikea for a few weeks and they won't remember you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Had a "security" guard ban me from PC World - Still go in there from time to time and have yet to have the ban enforced.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I don't think Ikea use RLP, or any other civil recovery operator.

I think you may be right. Having looked across the entire internet (NOT) I found a company called Kingdom who provide security for Ikea but they also use civil recovery within their company profile. Whether they actually do this is unclear as this is a first for me.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Its legal but the costs and legalities involved make it very silly for a retailer to use it.

More often than not they tell the min wage security guys to tell the shoplifter that theyre being watched everywhere. Even though ots an outright lie.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I think you may be right. Having looked across the entire internet (NOT) I found a company called Kingdom who provide security for Ikea but they also use civil recovery within their company profile. Whether they actually do this is unclear as this is a first for me.

If it's the same Kingdom that also has some local authority contracts to provide dog poo polizei and litter wardens, I don't think they'd risk RLP-style tactics.

It's worth saying, I think, that in principle there's nothing wrong with a retailer seeking to recover their actual losses from a shoplifter, once convicted - it's the way RLP and others have gone about it that has brought it into disrepute, and probably made it much more difficult for legitimate claims to be brought.