TV in local tip - should have returned to store

veganite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here is what has happened:

1. I purchased TV for my parents.

2. TV was delivered, looked like it had been thrown together and also smashed screen.

3. Contacted store who said they would arrange replacement and collection of smashed TV.

3. As parents elderly and mum stresses for no reason, I put smashed TV somewhere in house where she doesnt go.

4. Replacement TV delivered, but courier would not take the original smashed TV despite me pleading with him and explaining that I do not want it in house and it should be returned to retailer.

5. Contacted retailer again to ask them about collection of original smashed TV.

6. Sent email to retailer asking them to collect the original TV.

7. Retailer replied saying that I should let them know when it would be convenient to collect TV. They also said that they would process a refund for me.

8. I took smashed TV downstairs ready to be collected.

9. Day later, I writing email to retailer (now saved in draft email) explaining that they could collect anytime and also explaining that I do not want a refund as not entitled to a refund since they are only collecting a damaged product as it was replaced.

10. Parents wrongly assumed that the TV box I took downstairs was full of polystyrene and cardboard and put it in car and took it to the local rubbish tip. Someone from the tip took it from my dad (my dad is elderly and I guess they were helping).

So, my parents assumed that the box was full of rubbish and have taken this to the local tip.... and now I do not have the smashed TV to return to the retailer!!!!

Since contacting and emailing the retailer to make arrangements for collection of the faulty TV, there is now not a faulty TV to return to them since it is in the local rubbish tip.

My problem is this: I work 6 months each year abroad and the other 6 months in UK.

I am not entitled to claim DWP benefits in UK and have a weekly budget of money. If i were to pay the retailer now for the return which is not possible, then this would cause my weekly budget to go down a lot!

Is it possible for me to tell the retailer that I will pay them in approx 5 months time, explaining that I am not working until that date?

Also, would it be possible for me to ask the retailer whether they would be willing to provide me with a discount for this since the value of a smashed TV is probably next to nothing?

The TV is at my parents house and I do not want them to receive phone calls / letters / visits about this. Infact I do not want them to even know that they had thrown out a TV that should have been returned to a retailer.

Since the retailer does not seem to be at all concerned about a missing TV and I have had to contact them about it, even so much as explaining that I am not entitled to a refund, then - I am not going to contact them again until I have started work again in a few months and can afford to pay them. But they may contact before then..

Any help / advice appreciated, thanks!

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

maybe a stupid question - perhaps the retailer is not interested in collecting the TV (which is now in the tip) because having a smashed screen as well as looking as if it had been just thrown together would be of very little value? it this possible? since i had to chase them up to collect the smashed TV, maybe they are not interested in collecting it? especially when they said they would process the refund for me - and i am not entitled to a refund? or am i just clutching at straws and false hope?

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

why worry about it?

many retailer don't bother to ever collect them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks DX

If this was not linked to my parents address i wouldnt worry about it and would just pay them when I could afford it, but am worrying because it is linked to parents address and i do not want to cause them and worry or stress.

So it is possible that retailer is not interested in collection (especially as I had to chase them up about it) and that it is in its rightful place, the rubbish tip?

most of the time they don't bother at all

its pretty much std practice to just let 'you' dispose of it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I went to the council tip and managed to get the broken TV back. The staff there also said they doubt if the retailer would want it back.

I just find it strange that the retailer does not want it returned so they can claim on their insurances.