• Tweets

• The Chinese-owned app is tying up with Shopify to create video ads and hiring thousands of engineers. View the full article
    • Hi Everyone, hope you are all keeping well in this strange new era.   On the 17th Sept, my friend booked a delivery to send a parcel to the USA, a vintage sewing machine. The collection and delivery was booked through MyParcelDeliver.Com, and UPS was the chosen courier. They collected it about four days later.   He paid for additional insurance along with the transportation of the item, to the tune of £128.75.   He packaged the parcel very well, packed with bubble wrap and paper and also styrofoam so that the sewing machine was safe in the box. He placed some plastic wrap over this, and he then sealed the box with tape. He videoed this for the buyer, so she could see how well he had packed the item because they were both concerned about the package being well protected.   The item arrived in the USA a few days later. The buyer instantly notified my friend that the parcel packaging was damaged, showing stress from water and general mishandling, and the item was also damaged in various parts, mainly the casing and the base.   He complained to MyParcelDelivery.Com on the1st October, they responded with 'You need to contact UPS...', which he did and also the buyer contacted them and got a response on the 2nd October.   UPS informed the buyer they would like to come and take a look at the packaging and the item, and this is the last she heard from them, she has called them several times, and always they say someone will call tomorrow and no one calls. She called my friend to ask if he could call them too and chase them up, he is Italian, and though he speaks English generally well, he asked me to talk with them on his behalf because he felt they were not listening to him or that he was missing something.   I spoke with them on the 26th October, they said they had sent my friend an email about this, we checked all of his emails, junk/spam too. There is nothing in there, I asked them to resend it, but nothing has appeared despite them saying they have sent it, we know they have the correct email address because they sent a message on the 2nd confirming they are looking into the claim of a damaged package, they also said they were planning on calling the seller 'again' on the 27th, which of course never happened, which she confirmed with me on the evening of the 27th.   Now it would seem to me that MyParcelDelivery is trying to say it has nothing to do with them, despite the booking being made through them, UPS US are pretending they are doing something but have so far done nothing, and we have heard Zilch from UPS UK.   I would like, if possible, some guidance on how to go about getting this resolved because this is just not right, the agent/courier have had their money, but the seller and buyer have been the victims of poor service and damaged goods.   If anyone could point us in the right direction on how to tackle this and get some redress for this, then I would be most grateful.   Thanks and kind regards   Mr B                 pox.pdf
    • From December, NS&I is phasing out posting warrants - a type of cheque - to winners. It instead wants bondholders to provide bank details so it can pay the money into their account. View the full article
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2154 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Good Morning All,

I appreciate you are all busy people but I need to pick peoples brains over my finance agreement with Moneybarn.

I have a Regulated Conditional Sale agreement with Moneybarn.

The details of which are as follows

I bought the car for £12,142.30.

I paid £1152.30 as a deposit.

Leaving he total to be financed as £10,990.

Not a problem so far.

I got into some financial trouble with an ex,

however despite paying late every month, I always paid.

They stuck a total of £275 for non payment by direct debit and notices sent to me, which I obviously paid.

before my payment in May 2014, I had paid a total of £5533,95 ( This is from my statement of account )

I then paid my payment for May, June and July, which means I have now paid £6679.40 of my total amount.

However I have not paid Augusts Payment due to financial problems again,

which will be 2 months payments come 3rd September.

The financial problems were caused by being dismissed from a well paid job due to some personal reasons.

I have since found another job, but needed a month to get back on my feet.

Now I can afford the car, once I have sorted myself out again,

but was wondering if Moneybarn will spread my outstanding payments over 3-4 months on top of my usual monthly payments?

Also am I protected by the 1/3 rule in relation to repossession of the vehicle?

It is causing me some issues as I don't want to lose the car.

I am worried about what Moneybarn will say, as I have read loads of horror stories.

Paying off the arrears over 3-4 months is not a problem at all,

and I may be able to clear it quicker,

but I just needed some advice and if possible a letter template,

as I am not very good at this kind of thing.

Thanks for your time

Sit tight and someone will be around. Its the weekend and this is a volunteer advice site so it will be slow today

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Your car is statutory protected goods.

You are well over the 1/3 mark and Moneybarn would need

to go to court for a return of goods order to repossess

Approach them to see whether they will agree to your proposals

To abide by FCA guidelines there is no reason why they shouldn't

If they do issue a default notice, consider a time order

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Hi there,

you should write to them (by recorded delivery - MB have a habit of "not receiving" letters!).

Advise them of your loss of job and that you have now found new employment but will not be paid till end September.

Work out what you can afford to pay extra each month to clear the arrears and offer them that.

I can draft a letter for you if you wish ?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I posted a while back about some potential problems with Moneybarn, but managed to keep going without any issues.

However I have had to change job to a much better paid job again recently,

and due to this finally for the first time, fell into 2 months arrears a few days ago.

I have messaged and sent by recorded delivery an offer to clear the arrears over a maximum of 6 months

( hopefully much quicker with this new job )

but have yet to hear from them.

My 2 months arrears fell on 2nd December and I have still not received my default notice, which surprises me somewhat.

My concern is this,

if the offer is rejected,

which I expect will be the case,

then I understand I will be sent a default notice requiring me to pay within 14 days.

It is my intention to apply for a time order as I know I can pay and comfortably so.

However is my car protected goods ( I.e will they need a court order to recover it )

The details of the agreement are

Car Price £10990

APR :29.3

Amount Payable : £18784

Initial Payment : £1152.30 - Balance £17632

Paid to Date: £7804.85

So based of those figures is my car protected?

Secondly

if they obtained a court order for recovery of my car,

how quick would that be issued?

Are we talking about days from now?

or the next day following the 14 default notice?

Sorry I am bothering you all, but just trying to be clear in me own head where I stand and how best to move forward.

Oh and If I felt I could no longer afford the car,

I would happily hand it over,

but I can and hope this mess can be sorted asap

Regards

It looks as if you have paid more than one third of the agreement so they would need a court order to legally recover the car - it should state in your agreement the amount you need to have paid which will require them to get a court order.

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

It could take a few weeks, they have to write to you advising that they will apply for a return of vehicle order via the court if you don't pay in a certain amount of days. Did you keep a copy of the letter you sent them?

Yeah and a copy of the email which I have sent twice now. They don't seem to be responding, which is unusual for them. I was just worried I would get a court order with in days thats all

old and new threads merged

please keep to one thread

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if you feel you cant pay later

ALWAYS VT

its cheaper

but YOU must do it via letter

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yeah I took that into consideration,

but realistically I can afford it so made a decision to try and sort it all out.

If things ever changed or I honestly felt I would be struggling

I would not bother and hand car back,

but right things will be ok.

ow much have they lumped on in fees?

dx

and they

Yeah and a copy of the email which I have sent twice now. They don't seem to be responding, which is unusual for them. I was just worried I would get a court order with in days thats all

You would have the opportunity to defend/apply for time order regardless

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.