Am I looking like I am going to be dismissed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a final written warning due to an incident that happened while I was working away. I was told to be on my best behaviour which I have been. At the weekend I was late to work twice due to me unplugging my phone. Where my phone is on charge it rests on my bed and I must of had 2 restless nights and pulled it off charge meaning my phone didn't wake me up in the morning. One day I was 1/2 hour late and the other day an 1hour late. This isn't an usual thing and was so unlucky to manage to do it 2 days in a row. I am now facing another disciplinary which i have been told there is a good chance I will get sacked. Being punctual had nothing to do with my final written warning. It was a genuine mistake that I have said is now corrected as I charge my phone on the other side of my room but it doesn't look good! What are peoples opinion? Thanks in advance

I think it unlikely. Most companies have separate policies on timekeeping and disciplinary , the timekeeping would normally be incorporated under the attendance at work. It would be extremely unusual to use that in conjunction with the final written as they are in effect 2 different policies unless of course they have deemed the poor time keeping as gross misconduct.

I think it unlikely. Most companies have separate policies on timekeeping and disciplinary , the timekeeping would normally be incorporated under the attendance at work. It would be extremely unusual to use that in conjunction with the final written as they are in effect 2 different policies unless of course they have deemed the poor time keeping as gross misconduct.

I don't think this is right. The law only really distinguishes between capability based warnings (based on either illness or poor work performance) or misconduct warnings (which would cover anything else that would be deemed to be a disciplinary offence). Timekeeping is a disciplinary offence where a warning could be issued and so it is possible that if the final warning is still live, it could end in dismissal.

If I was the person conducting the disciplinary process though, I would be taking into account the conduct which led to the final warning when taking the decision whether to dismiss. It's still possible a warning may not even be issued but it would depend on the severity of the prior conduct.

This sort of thing really angers me to be honest. There are those who wouldn't even bother to turn up to work. I used to work with a layabout who would use all the excuses under the sun to get out of working.... I could understand it if you were consistently late. Also, when you are on a first written warning (I am on a first, too, so you have my sympathies), it says if any more incidents occur during the 12 month period, you could face further punishment etc.

However, from what you are saying, its not like you were deliberately late for work, though work will turn around and say you need to ensure you take better use of your phone (whatever!). If its something out of the ordinary and you apologized, I can't see why they would want to pursue it, unless they're THAT keen to get rid of you. At least, as I say, you turned up to work. Sometimes I wonder what's the point - you still get treated poorly for it, I know I have, since I've been through an investigation and medical issues.

I think being late can come under the category of gross misconduct, but for that to happen, there would need to be, at least from a reasonable point of view, a consistent pattern of this happening and two times, for me, is not consistent enough. For me, looking at this objectively, it sounds harsh. Also, they might be trying to find a way, as I said, to get rid of you.

If I were you, I'd start looking elsewhere - you're worth more than this - just showing the enthusiasm (or lack of) for turning up to work, shows you want to be professional but even then, you get the idiots in the workplace who want to make your life difficult so its a double-edged sword - you can't win! Good luck to you!

Best,

Robin

When escalating the disciplinary measures it does not have to be that the evnts are of the same nature so yes, your employer could dismiss you as you have received a final written warning already. however, they can do other things and what they do will depend on many factors but the main one will the liklihodd of you changing your ways as a result of being placed under a warning. So, to help your cause you need to show that you have changed your behavious so that the events will not occur again. If they believe you and there is some evidence to support this then you will be OK. If there has been an improvement or change since you final written warning that is directly linked to that episode then you will be safe for the time being. You can always get a colleague to speak on your behalf and I would recommend having someone present as a note taker or friend anyway, just in case your employer decides to take further action. That way there is always a witness to the events.