Tax discs end in 6 days - and half of us have no idea.

Conniff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3491 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I read this on the site linked at the bottom.

"I thought I would put this on from today’s paper, for information, as I have not heard

about it neither, and even after reading it I still don’t know how we will be able to renew

our road tax.

Paper tax discs will vanish from cars in less than six weeks-but half of drivers are unaware.

The discs will be abolished from October 1st and replaced by electronic records.

Police cameras will check number plates to catch owners who have not paid.

However, a survey found that 50% of drivers are still in the dark about when the changes

kick in. Nearly a third of them said they will not even try to find out what the new rules are,

according to the poll by price comparison website money.co.uk.

And 6% of motorists believe that the changes are not coming into force until next year.

Almost a third of those polled said they will wait for instructions from the Driver and Vehicle

Licensing Agency. But the comparison website claims that the DVLA has not yet started adding

warnings to tax renewal reminders.

The move away from paper discs, after 93 years, is designed to offer motorists more flexible

payment options (you believe that you will believe anything, why don’t they give us the

truth it’s to do with saving money and not for you only for them) and make it harder for

people to drive untaxed.

Estimates show that the changes could save the taxpayer £10 million a year. Car owners will

still need to have paid vehicle tax to drive on the roads. But under the new system, the tax will

no longer be automatically transferred with the car when it is sold.

Sellers are expected to tell the DVLA straight away of the change of ownership or face £1.000 fines.

(see money money money)

Shane Teskey, from vehicle history check website hpicheck.com, said: ‘Those who fail to inform the

DVLA, could be fined and they will still be liable for any speeding or parking fines and vehicle tax for

a car they don’t even own anymore.’

Around 53% of drivers said they would use the new option of paying by direct debit, according to the

survey. Those choosing to spread the cost by paying twice a year or monthly will incur a 5% additional

charge.

However this is half of the 10% surcharge currently applied to six-month tax discs, used by 23% of

drivers. Motorists can also pay annually with no extra cost under the new system.

Hannah Maundrell, editor in chief of money.co.uk, said: ‘Changes to the vehicle tax system are no

bad thing and we fully welcome the introduction of direct debit payments, particularly for consumers

who may be struggling to keep up with the soaring cost of driving.

‘It will also help to eliminate the problem of people who genuinely forget to renew their tax and end

up being stung with a hefty fine. (load of rubbish)

‘However, I suspect the new system may experience some teething troubles (they hope more money)

so drivers really need to make sure they’re on top of their game.’

The death of the tax disc has been well documented, (really!) and the change was officially announced

in last year’s Autumn Statement.

Automatic number plate recognition cameras will spot motorists who have not paid the tax.

(but I thought these cameras could spot out of date discs any way).

More than 1.7 billion tax discs have been issued since 1921. Last year, the DVLA issued 42.2 million of them.

Link

I had no idea that any leftover time on the tax would no longer transfer over. That's just downright disgraceful.

I bet the DVLA wont be forthcoming with a refund of that outstanding amount when you do tell them about a change of ownership either.

I had no idea that any leftover time on the tax would no longer transfer over. That's just downright disgraceful.

I bet the DVLA wont be forthcoming with a refund of that outstanding amount when you do tell them about a change of ownership either.

Any tax left over after selling vehicle and dvla informed they will do it automatically instead of us having to fill forms in and send the tax disc back but the tax has to be a month or more from what ive read. Anything under no refund is given.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-08-26/car-tax-discs-scrapped-in-october-how-the-changes-will-affect-you/

It does seem to be widely published.

From October 1, paper tax discs on cars will become obsolete and will be replaced with an electronic register.

How should motorists pay their vehicle tax?

Motorists will be required to pay for their vehicle excise duty (VED) by direct debit.

Payments can be made monthly or six-monthly - both at an overall additional annual cost of 5% - or annually.

How do motorists check when they need to pay their vehicle tax?

The tax status of any vehicle can be found at the DVLA website by entering the car's registration and make.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

and of course there is the £1,000 fine if you forget to notify change of ownership immediately.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/vehicle-tax-changes-make-sure-you-know-the-new-rules-from-1-october-or-risk-1000-fine-9690815.html

People selling their car are expected to tell the DVLA straight away of the change of ownership or face fines of up to £1,000.

and of course paying monthly will cost more..

Among the more welcome changes is the ability to pay via direct debit instead of the year or six-month options currently available.

But drivers selecting monthly payments will pay 5 per cent extra each year on top of the average annual cost of tax and the millions of people who pay with a credit card will be hit with a £2.50 surcharge.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

BCOBS

and of course paying monthly will cost more..

It will actually work out 5% cheaper for those people that currently buy a 6 monthly disc.

Based on my car as an example.

6 Months VEL = £79.75

12 Months VEL = £145.00

So it works out £14.50 dearer to buy 2 x 6 month discs.

Under the new system

12 Months VEL paid monthly (or 6 monthly) by direct debit will be £152.25, or £7.25 dearer than paying for a 12 month disc in one lump. (which is £7.25 cheaper than the current system)

They've charged the extra £2.50 for credit cards for a long time, but there's no 'fee' for using a debit card thumbup.gif

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

MEGA inconvenience for people changing cars especially a long distance from home------or is DVLA going to be open 24/7/365???

I'm sure their website will be wink.png

You also have to bear in mind that *nothing* is instant, not even in this day and age. Let's say (once the new scheme takes effect) you buy a car at 7pm and you want to dive it home. As long as it's insured for you to drive and MOT'd, drive it. It will be shown as taxed on any system that anyone cares to check. Then you tax it in your own name the next day.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the tax not being transferred (even if they only transferred the current month it would be better than what they're going to do), but people are rather reading between the lines, seeing 2+2 written there, and coming up with the answer 5.

I think the best advice from now on is going to be make sure you buy your cars at the beginning or end of the month so that you're not both (the seller and the buyer) throwing money away to the DVLA.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Question ???? Because I'm confused :???: :???: :???:

So the "crime" of "Failing to display" is "Dead meat".

Is there still the 14 days "grace" period ???

Nagggggh !!!!! "BIG" (Vast, Huge, Enormous ) money making exercise !!!

My bet the "DVLA" forum goes White Hot in the next 6 months

Question ???? Because I'm confused :???: :???: :???:

So the "crime" of "Failing to display" is "Dead meat".

As of 1st October, yes. It'll probably stay on the statute books until they update the whole act, but it won't/can't be enforced.

Is there still the 14 days "grace" period ???

As far as I'm aware there's never been a grace period of 14 days (officially at least), though it would've been very doubtful that anyone would have taken any notice of a VEL that was less than 14 days out of date. Officially there's been a grace period of 5 days for failing to display a valid VEL providing that you applied online before the end of the month in which your current VEL expired.

So for example, if your VEL expired on 31st August, providing you applied online by say 30th August, you'd have a statutory defence for failing to display until 5th September.

Nagggggh !!!!! "BIG" (Vast, Huge, Enormous ) money making exercise !!!
Can't argue with that.

My bet the "DVLA" forum goes White Hot in the next 6 months
I'm not taking that bet spiteful.gif

I thought the 14 days grace was derived from displaying VED on brand new vehicles ?

I'm picking up my motabilitiy vehicle next week and am told that due to it being disabled taxation I will be sent tax disc in post. So don't have to display for 14 days to allow for it to be processed.

I thought the 14 days grace was derived from displaying VED on brand new vehicles ?

I'm picking up my motabilitiy vehicle next week and am told that due to it being disabled taxation I will be sent tax disc in post. So don't have to display for 14 days to allow for it to be processed.

I know the new rules don't start until 1st Oct, but I really can't see too many 'officials' being all that bothered from here on as to whether or not a car is displaying a valid VEL. It's all on the database these days, so the information is only a radio call (or ANPR scan) away.

Don't quote me on that mind it's only a personal opinion but I know that I wouldn't bat an eyelid, it's not worth the paperwork as long as the vehicle is taxed.

That is correct, there is 14 days grace for the display of the licence - s.33A, Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994, as amended by s.188, Finance Act 2013.

That is correct, there is 14 days grace for the display of the licence - s.33A, Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994, as amended by s.188, Finance Act 2013.

Every day's a school day :) I never knew that one. Though it only applies to newly registered vehicles. Perhaps I didn't know because I've never had enough spare cash to buy a new car biggrin.png

Every day's a school day :) I never knew that one. Though it only applies to newly registered vehicles. Perhaps I didn't know because I've never had enough spare cash to buy a new car biggrin.png

The 14 days grace also applies to renewals and replacements - but only needed for another month!!

The Dealer that you have leased your Motability Vehicle through will give you a DVLA letter with your Vehicle's registration and date at the bottom, this states that you can legally drive your vehicle for 14 calender days, just keep a copy with you when you drive just in-case.

The DVLA mainly posts the tax disc to you directly, sometimes they have been known to post to the dealership for you to collect.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

How do the DVLA still get away with charging 5/10% extra for those not taxing for a full year in advance? I could perhaps understand a small charge for 2 paper discs instead of 1 (lol) but now there is no disc how do they justify it. Where is the cost? Admin fees should be spread across the whole system not a minority, as it's difficult to calculate the real cost. Just another tax on the poor or those that try to spend wisely.

Also losing the remainder of the current month when selling a car. Refunds should be to the day, it's not hard to work out after-all, especially for a computer! Where is the logic?

I wonder how it would play out in court if someone decided to challenge this. I.e. seller sells car mid month, he wont get a refund for the remainder of the month, so it is still paid for. Buyer doesn't tax car till start of next month, but in the mean time gets snapped by ANPR and prosecuted. Is there a defence here given that the month has been paid for on the car, regardless by who.

For a government agency they are appalling in the way they conduct business, imo. :violin:

Also, does anyone know what happens in the cross-over period? If you have a paper disc can it still be transferred or not?

• 3 weeks later...

So remember you will see no cars advertised as 12 months MoT and 12 months Tax after 1st October. In fact you won't see them advertised with any tax at all as it can't be carried over.

By the way, you can legally remove your tax disc from the windscreen on 1st October.

At least it will stop what happened to me some years ago

I bought a car privately and had it parked outside my house, three days later woken at 7am by a Bobbie knocking on the door, He asked me if it was my car and why no tax disc on display? I told him just purchased and "tax applied for" as the note on the screen, I was told that I had to remove it from the highway until it had a current tax disc to display as I was commiting an offence of failure to display. He then went on to tell me there were three different offences could be committed with road tax. Failure to display, not having the vehicle tax and...not having the tax disc in a waterproof holder. Thank goodness those silly days will be gone soon.

Sorry if this has ben answered and I have just missed it, but it is only full months that are to be refunded to the seller, will that not mean that the car will still show as being taxed for the remainder of any un refunded, incomplete month ?

Sorry if this has ben answered and I have just missed it, but it is only full months that are to be refunded to the seller, will that not mean that the car will still show as being taxed for the remainder of any un refunded, incomplete month ?

It will show on the database as 'taxed' until the seller notifies the DVLA that they have sold/transferred/disposed of the vehicle, at which point the VEL will be cancelled and any full months refunded.

It will show on the database as 'taxed' until the seller notifies the DVLA that they have sold/transferred/disposed of the vehicle, at which point the VEL will be cancelled and any full months refunded.

Yes, so surely this kind of defeats the purpose and the idea.

Seller sells car mid month.

V5 posted off a day or two later.

Arrives at DVLA around a week after sale.

DVLA takes an unknown time to process.

Database takes takes an other unknown length of time to update.

All this time the car is still taxed and will show as such.

As far as I can see it, the buyer will have at least week or two to organise and tax the vehicle.

There will be no need to tax on the day of purchase.

Am I wrong ?