Weird neighbour, harassment.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a weird neighbour that lives underneath me. Three months ago my shower was leaking into his flat ( has been "fixed" by landlord 35 times), I was In the shower and he came up and tried to boot my door in. He also used various expletives. The next day other neighbours told me he had posted notes under everyone's door saying "because number x shower is leaking I'm leaving music on all night, sorry about that" ?!

A while later I come out the flat at 11pm to find him on my door step smelling like an alcoholic tramp wearing a dressing gown and slippers asking me to go the pub! In

said no and swiftly locked my door.

Then this Sunday I've got up and found a note under my door from the previous night. He's complaining about being woken up my another neighbour, asking me to his flat for a drink "I can hear your prowling around..." And telling me what to wear. This one has me really freaked out, it's the behaviour of an unhinged person!!

The first time I spoke to my landlord and his only reply was "I'll keep an ear out". This time I've sent a copy of the letter and have been completely ignored, not even an acknowledgment. I want big locks putting on my door and don't think it's fair I should have to bare the expenses if being harassed by a weirdo! Should I go the police? Is there much point?!

As he is dropping in notes, this amounts to harassment.

Unless it's threatening, the first course of action wouldn't be the police (unless you feel intimidated, as it can lead to further problems). Get in touch with your local council ASB Team and report it directly to them, they will investigate the issue including talking to neighbours (it does take some time to complete, so keep on at them about it). Your landlord also has a duty of care whilst your their tenant and should also investigate the ASB, especially if they are also a tenant of your landlord.

You can get advice from CAB (Citizen Advice) & Shelter about your rights.

One of the things that will be asked of you, is to record every incident by Date, Time and what's happening even the slightest thing needs to be recorded.

You could consider putting discrete cameras (audio and video), just inside and outside your flat, so his threatening behaviour can be captured and used as evidence. As to whether it's threatening depends on the indvidual that feels threatened, you are clearly finding it very threatening because it shouldn't be happening period.

It IS threatening the letter is very very strange. I've also been told by neighbours he's been calling me all sorts.
Are you able to provide a copy of the letter?

This is why you need to involve the council, as they will investigate the issue fully.

If you are feeling threatened, then contact the police and make a harassment claim. However don't expect miracles from the police, as all they will do is visit the person in question and speak to them about the situation and if they deem it necessary warn that person about further incidents. The police will also always advise you to contact the ASB Team within the council.

presume yourLL owns the other flats in the building. If so getting the shower fixed properly may help your neighbour calm down a bit. Get the coplaint to LL in writing and demand to have a date for getting the problem sorted once and for all. Tell LL about tenant downstairs' behaviour is related to shower problem and that LL has a responsibility to not only do repairs but to ensure as far as possible that the peace is kept.

presume yourLL owns the other flats in the building. If so getting the shower fixed properly may help your neighbour calm down a bit. Get the coplaint to LL in writing and demand to have a date for getting the problem sorted once and for all. Tell LL about tenant downstairs' behaviour is related to shower problem and that LL has a responsibility to not only do repairs but to ensure as far as possible that the peace is kept.

I've previously been into enviromental health about all the repairs that needed doing when the bathroom floor collapsed, and the roof that has been leaking for five years into the light fixture and damp etc etc. They came out to check everything and did a report. Months later I asked for an update and was told "the file is closed". Eh came out and "checked the communal area and I am satisfied" I then sent photos of the holes in walls etc. they did nothing.

Have a read of the 1957 Housing Act with regard to LL responsibilities. I agree that it is difficult to get council to do much as they may be forced to rehouse you and that is the last thing they want. Get your local councillor involved, that often works as there would then be a bit of political mileage in it for them. Election coming up next year and many local councillors have ambitions or local party wallahs to impress so they like a project.

The local Police should be able to offer some advice on this situation. There will be a local neighbourhood team that deals with anti-social behaviour.

Sounds like you have a problem with the landlord as well, so you should have records of informing them of all problems.

If you can move, this may be a sensible thing to do, as you don't know how much longer this situation will go on for and whether it will get worse.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I'm assuming you are a female living alone. No buggering about, straight to the police station. He's kicked your door whilst you are in the shower, he's telling you he can hear you moving about, he's been suggestive, and also downright odd. Never mind what the landlord says he can or cannot do, what you can do is protect yourself as best you can. Please go to the local cop shop and ask to speak to someone and take all the evidence you have. Goodluck.

• 3 weeks later...