Restons sent a court claim

2hapennys
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3520 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I would like a bit of advice towards writing a defence please.

Let me fill you in with as much detail as I can.

My husband and I split up in 2008,

we were both in a mess financially and the arguments about money was one of the factors to our break up.

I opened a new bank account Sept 08, and

after many tough years of knuckling down working 60 hours a week plus the advice of this site,

I am finally debt free apart from a mortgage and an old default which drops of in the next two months.

In March this year out of the blue I received a letter from Arrow Global saying I owed them around £500 for an old personal loan

I discarded this letter because I wasn't aware of any outstanding debts,

although it was addressed to my ex husband and myself.

I had another letter from Restons saying that unless proposals to pay were made they would issue court proceedings.

I wrote back stating I was not aware of this debt nor acknowledge it,

they wrote back saying again I must pay or legal action will occur.

A few more letters went to and fro, eventually they sent a CCA for a loan dated October 97,

I immediately responded with a statute bared letter.

They claimed a £1 payment was made on this account Sept 08,

I asked them for details of the payment ie. how it was received from which account etc.

Earlier this month they asked me to prove to them that I had not made that payment,

and prove to them when the limitation period began,

I thought it was down to the DCA to prove I had made it.

They have not sent me any documentation proving this payment so far.

I ignored that letter because my last correspondence stated that unless they provided me with the proof of payment I would not reply any further.

this week I have had the court claim through,

I logged on to MCOL and said I wish to defend the claim in full.

I am out of my league now,

I have no idea what to put I am thinking of the SB defence

but according to their letters they claim the payment was made on the 13/9/08

obviously this period will lapse during the time I am allowed to file my defence,

does this make any difference?

Could someone please help me pen a defence,

I really don't want to mess my credit rating up for another 6 years,

do you think I have a good chance of winning,

or should I just pay to make them go away.

Any advice, would be appreciated. sorry for it being such I long post,

I just wanted you to have as much detail as possible to help me.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH x

Arrow and restons are notorious for inventing payments to try and get around the statute barred defence.

In your case they havent even proved a payment was made.

In my opinion, i would use the statute barred defence and put them to proof that a payment was made.

They almost always say that it was an admin error, or they try their hardest to settle out of court.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Youve already asked for proof. Theyve ignored you and decided to chance their arm with a claim. IMO i would check your bank statements and then issue the SB defence. OThers may have different ideas. Sit tight. Its the bank holiday weekend so the forums will be slow, but youll get more advice.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Hi sorry about the delay in replying my depression kicked in

and I couldn't handle this.

to answer the questions the oldrouge asked.

1. Notice of claimant is Arrow Global

2. Date of issue 15/8

3. Reason - The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the defendant under a contract between the defendant and hbos dated on or around 6/11/97 and assigned to the claimant on 8/10/10 in the sum of £500. Then it shows account number and a date of 3/3/14 default balance and value.

4. Value £500 plus costs

5. According to coca it was a loan.

6. Date of original agreement on or around 6/11/97

7. Via a debt purchaser

8. Note of assignment - not certain

9. Default - possibly I defaulted on lots but nothing on crf to do with this.

10. Default notices - no

11. Ceased payments - Husband lost job struggling to make ends meet.

12. No dispute although it shows ppi of £2752 & I interest on cca ?

13. I did enter into an agreement with most of the creditors at the time but it would have been early 2000

Is there anything else you require?

Because I have the Cca do I still need to request one?

Thank you all xx

Right, you have a timeline that you need to stick to.

Date of issue 15.08.2014 + 5 days for service = 19.08.2014 + 14 days to acknowledge claim = 02.09.2014 + 14 days to submit defence = 16.09.2014

It is up to the Claimant to prove that a payment was made and by whom.

Did you make a CCA request around that time ? The £1.00 could have been for the statutory fee. Unfortunately, the SB clock would have stopped ticking the minute they issued the claim.

I see there was PPI on the loan, was this of any value to your and your ex ? If not, then this could be reclaimed. Whether or not you could do this by way of a counterclaim, I don't know -

You have a few days in hand, as your defence is not due until 16th September. Is this account in your name only ?

I will ask someone to pop in and advise further.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

who was the original creditor

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can you please clarify the following..

You state you opened a new account in Sept 08... however, this claim is for a personal loan...

Restons state a payment was made in Sept 08 of £1.00.

Who is named on the claim ? Is it a P/L or an Overdraft ? What does the account number refer to?

• Confused 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi All

I did not request a CCA in or around sept 08.

The original creditor according to the claim was HBOS but the CCA shows The Bank of Wales.

I opened a new account Sept 08 due to my marriage breakdown, the payment they allege was not from that account. My old joint account was used by my ex husband for a while.

Who is named on the claim ? Is it a P/L or an overdraftlink3.gif ? What does the account number refer to? It is a P/L according to the paperwork. The claim is in my name only but the CCA is in both my ex and my name.

I see there was PPIlink3.gif on the loan, was this of any value to your and your ex ? If not, then this could be reclaimed. Whether or not you could do this by way of a counterclaim, I don't know - No it wasnt we were both employed by Royal Mail at the time who gave full sick pay, and death in service benefit. Is it not too old to claim it was taken out in 1997.

Anything else please ask. x

Do you recall roughly when you last made a payment to the account 2hapennys ? If it was in the region of June/July 08 then their claim is Statute Barred disregard the Reston phantom payment of £1 ...they try it with every SB claim.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Of course they are.......

Here is a form of limitation defence to the claim. There may be other grounds of defence in this particular case, but this defence alone will serve to defeat the claim assuming the facts stated in it are true.

1. The Claimant's claim was issued on (date).

2. The Defendant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years has elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.

3. The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £x or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

No point waiting may as well submit now on MCOL....get it out of the way.

It will be 3/4 weeks before allocation ...assuming they wish to proceed on a SB claim:roll:

Ignore what I said previously, looks like andyorch has looked in on you and sorted things out :)

BCOBS

Just a thought but before submitting defence would it be worth a CPR 18 request for specific info relating to the £1 payment they say was made Sep 08. They have 7 days to reply so if there's time before the defence has to be submitted I was just wondering if this might add extra weight if they fail to reply or provide proof of this payment.

You cant add any more weight to a statute barred defence...its an ultimate defence.You can simply clarify the above if they wish to proceed later in proceedings.