• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wanting to do the right thing

eskimoman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3530 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Firstly thanks to the Cag team & people involved, you guys/gals do a great job.

I am a single father with MS (multiple sclelrosis) on DLA and living at home.

My ex, her mum is also on benefit (ESA) & receives child benefit for both my daughter & her stepsister. I have no idea how much the child benefit give her (any idea's on that?)

We have both been separated a good long time, time in which I've always tried to provide nice things for my daughter (I'll just say Bec from here out, its easier) whom I see on a fairly regular basis.

With her starting high school this year (she's 11) I got a visit from my mum (becs nan) saying that Becs mum had been stressed at the cost of school clothing & that I should step in and do the right thing.

Now here, I made a point of stating what seems to me to be wholly logical by explaining to my mum that child benefit is for these things & what, for examples sake, if in same situation I had four kids by her mum, would myself as a single Dad on benefits be expected to cover this cost four times over?

Anyway, we had quite an argument about this though I since went and told Becs mum that rather than haranguing my mum for these things that I would simply offer up 100 pounds a month towards my daughters upkeep (anything for a quiet life plus my daughters happiness) I had been actually putting money aside into savings for my daughter for when she reaches certain age, which I will still try to do though I am not certain if I can keep that up so well in the face of this new 'situation'.

So what I would like to know please is am I doing the right thing?

I ask this because I do not think her mum would use this money wisely and solely for my daughter, in fact I would rather take Bec out (difficult with my health probs) & sort the things personally.

Also, am I right in saying that her child benefit money should cover the school clothes costs?

Whether child benefit covers it or not, as her father I will do the right thing one way or the other, I am just seeking some much needed intel on the situation.

Look forward to some clarification on these things, thank you.

Oh, and for the record, Becs mum never put me or anyone on the birth certificate as Becs father though I do not want to start getting into a big legal thing about that, she's my daughter, I'm her Dad, we already know this.

I just want to do the right thing with the money.

I should correct the mistake above i think.

She is receiving child benefit (I thought CSA was child benefit).

So replace CSA>CB in the above. Thank you.

[edited the posts myself so ignore this reply]

Also sorry for the double posting of thread, was by accident when first amending.

I've notified the cag team=)

Please all replys, perhaps to the other thread, thank you.

The last time I checked (my own children are now grown up) child benefit was about £20 a week, though your ex is also undoubtedly receiving child tax credits as well. Even so, no one with any sense would think that benefits alone are sufficient for any more than basic living costs and an entire school uniform can be a huge expense, way beyond the means of the average claimant.

The majority of 'absent parents' would already be paying child maintenance to the 'parent with care', even for someone on benefits that (at least used to be, could have gone up) would be £5 a week - not much, but a token acceptance that they have some responsibility to support their children. I'm surprised the DWP/CSA haven't already been chasing after you, even if you don't appear on the birth certificate.

How you approach this is of course entirely up to you, but so far as I can see the options are that:-

1. You pay something toward Bec's upkeep on a regular basis. Your ex will be obliged to declare this to DWP as income and they may or may not allow her to keep some or all of it without it affecting her benefits. You will have no control over what the money is actually spent on, be it uniform, food, the gas bill or going down the pub.

2. You take Bec out and buy the stuff she needs when she needs it - not just uniform, but clothing in general as well as all the stuff all her friends will have and she will desperately need in the next 5 years, ranging from stupidly expensive trainers to the latest mobile. This latter, as well as being potentially very expensive, has the disadvantage that Bec's mum may stop buying her anything if she thinks you will pay for it instead, plus if Bec has siblings there could be considerable friction at home if they don't get the latest mobile or whatever.

You might also consider trying to sort out the legal situation with regard to parental responsibility. If you're not legally Bec's father, what would happen if (heaven forbid) something happened to her Mum? You would have no rights at all.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

The DWP would not get involved. They won't chase you for maintenance and whilst your ex would have to declare any money you give her for Bec it won't affect her benefits.

Child benefit for two children is about £130 a month. It is to be spent on the child/children but it would not cover food, clothing, school uniform, shoes etc throughout each month. She should be getting Tax Credits as well (wouldn't like to guess at how much) but again it won't fully cover the expenses of the children. The absent parent (mum or dad) should be paying an amount each month towards the upkeep of their child. How you do it is up to you. To me your offer of £100 a month seems reasonable but you would have to accept you have no control on how it is spent which is the same for all absent parents. Again taking Bec out to buy what she needs also sounds reasonable but could get very expensive unless you agree a limit beforehand. There is also the potential problem of Bec's mum then assuming you will buy what she needs etc

I am a single mum with two children. Both my children are disabled so I do not work as I am classed as their Carer. I have a CSA case with my ex husband and he pays his money each month. Even with getting Child Benefit, Tax Credits and CSA with my daughter starting school this year so two lots of uniform to buy etc I had to ask him for a contribution towards the cost of their uniform and shoes. Benefits just does not cover it

Both parents should be covering the cost. Not just one.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Child benefit is a tax-free payment that is aimed at helping parents cope with the cost of bringing up children.

The information on the link below should help you work out what your ex is entitled to.

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/overview

The information is on several pages, so you have to keep hitting the "Next" button at the end of each page.

I am assuming that you have no financial responsibility for the step sister ?

If you are contributing a fair sum, then I think your Mum, IMHO, should keep her nose out of this - it will only end in grief.

If your ex requires extra funding for your daughter, perhaps she could let you know what is required and you can then come to a mutually acceptable arrangement. School uniforms can be expensive, especially the shoes - kids also have a wicked habit of growing fairly quickly :lol:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

you had two threads on the same issue - these have now been merged into just one :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for merging those citizen B, not quite sure how I managed to create two of the same topic, I think perhaps was when editing my initial first post.

Cheers for the very sound advice all.

reallymadwoman:-

Yup, the trend for electric gadgets I know well! She is into computers big time now, always on it at home and when she comes to stay, takes after her old man! Anything like that she knows I got it covered for her.

RE the birth certificate, yes she should have put me on it from the word go & this is something that will be put right at somepoint and if something did happen to Becs mum then I would clarify it with a dna test anyway though trying to be in the right place at the right time with her mum to sort this with the legal people is another matter entirely, but if the need was to arise say of urgency like you mentioned then it would be sorted immediately for any legalistic purposes, I'd stop at nothing till that was indeed clarified.

I have read through all the replys & it has helped tremendously with how I should manage this. I appreciate you all taking the time out to reply and the advice given, thank you.

I'll be talking to her mum hopefully later today and we'll get this in motion so Bec has what she needs covered for her school equip/clothes and pocket money.

Cheers for all your help!