Are UK Mobile companies obligated to keep text messages?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are UK companies (specifically a Mobile Provider like O2, Voda) required to keep SMS/Texts for a period of time? I've looked on the IC website but can't find the detail.

I am requesting texts as part of a SAR / data protection request and been told the mobile provider doesn't keep them so any policy i can use to show them thats incorrect would be welcomed.. thanks in advance

formal data retention (including texts) is usually 'at best' 12 mths.

see for eg the Data Retention (ec directive) Regs 2009, and the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014

thankyou .... is that 12months compulsory?....

it wasn't prior to those regs i dont think (but double check). but now is if requested so by the govt (which i presume they've requested every provider to do so given current affairs).

some providers though may keep things anyway by their own accord.

its scary, not sure how i feel about it, but if you have nothing to hide .... it will always be a contentious thing i guess.

thanks for your help, i guess i am SOOL (let you work out the acronym!) in terms of getting what i need then...

cld try check then whether they have ever been formally requested to keep such data for 12 mths.

and also, if so, check whether it wld be subject to a dsar (the ico shld be able to answer that on the phone/email)