Tax credit overpayment 2005/06

jonnyb1978
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Received a letter today from Equita dca asking for overpayment to be paid back.

The overpayment amount to £1200

£150 of this is from 2005 when my wife's employer stopped paying it through her wages.

They actually carries on for a short while and I have proof from a Sar request as a member of the HMRC

has hand written 'amended error with a reference number'... So not our fault.

The remainder is from 2005/6 award saying we never returned annual declaration when we did...

this was actually just in my wife's name.

Just as we got together.

My wife got a letter at the time stating overpayment so rang to query.

Hmrc said on the phone we owe them nothing and to ignore letter.

Fast forward a few years

a letter arrived for overpayment.

We disputed and asked for Sar.

Surprise surprise the telephone conversations was missing and they never answered my questions.

Later we had Advantis chasing us so

I informed we were still in dispute as they have not given me what I asked for a fair dispute.

I wrote to Hmrc again for telephone records again UT they replied they no longer have them.

Advantis disappeared.

Fast forward to today with Equita.

How should I approach this.

Ignore them or claim I'm still in dispute and mention it's statute barred..??

I know they can still try to recover but we do not claim now anything now.

For some very strange reason your thread disappeared. Hopefully it wont happen again :)

We are seeing this time and time again with DCAs pursuing alleged benefit payments.

The DCA cannot take any legal action to recover so any threats are simply just that threats. However, as you point out, HMRC can recover through any future benefits.

Did you not keep the original SAR paperwork ? It is a shame that all your communication was via the telephone and no records are now available.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Even if you don't claim tax credits now, they can still pursue you for the debt. They could deduct this from any future benefits or can change your tax code and recover it via your wages (if working, receiving pension, taxable benefits etc).

The only thing they cannot do is take you to court over the debt.

The dispute process has changed and you now need to dispute within 3 months of the final decision being made. It is unlikely they will accept any further dispute now.

Thanks. Yes a few strange things going on with my account lately.

Anyhow. Here have never really answered any of my questions. I do have the SAR but they take no notice. I have explained yet they just come back with they are happy with the outcome and that's that.

I've sent the dca a letter claiming it's still in dispute as they have failed to answer my questions and supplied the relevant phone calls when requested to allow a fair dispute, set out the harassment details and that's it's statute barred.

Also sent HMRC the same letter but explained the statute barred in more detail quoting the act.

HHopefully shut them up again for a while until next time.

Thanks

Well well.

This is another shafting to the poor.

I received a letter from these peeps some 6 weeks ago demanding £1700 for over payment from 8 years ago.

I sent them a return letter asking for a full breakdown of this bill and a detailed statement of payments and dates.

Did not hear nothing until today.

It was not from them.

It was from a debt recovery firm called SIGMA.

I,m sure I am entitled to what I asked for from HMRC.

In no way or form am I paying this SIGMA a penny.

And good luck to them if they come calling,

my assets are zero.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update after receiving a further letter.

I sent them the harassment letter and stated it was also statute barred.

II have now received a letter stating to pay immediately otherwise they will have no alternative but to recommend enforcement action.

They go on to remind me that this may result in fees and legal costs. An enforcement option where goods are taken into control a minimum of £310 will be added to debt, and that it will be deducted out of the proceeds of the sale of our goods...

Is this just typical scare mongering? Can they take goods without court action?

HMRC debts are not Statute barred. The limitations act doesnt apply.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

HMRC debts are not Statute barred. The limitations act doesnt apply.

Not quite correct as the DWP HMRC etc., can make "attachments of earnings " orders without the need for a court order.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Its called a direct earnings attachment and this process started as a pilot in April 2013 where money can be taken from wages without a court order. I think the amount they can take follows the same formulae as deductions from benefits for over payments.

However the limitation act does still apply to court action for benefits overpayments (CCJs etc).

Now I rang the DWP about an overpayment of WTC for a family member and was told because it was passed to a DCA they couldn't take it back and deduct from present WTC. Apparently they couldn't deduct it anyway if they took it back because the present WTC payment is classed as a new claim as its no longer a joint claim with a partner.

However from October I believe everything changes so the DWP can take WTC overpayment from new WTC claims. I'm trying to get the DWP to take it back so that the rules have to followed re percentage of salary deductions.

I hope the above helps.

Its called a direct earnings attachment and this process started as a pilot in April 2013 where money can be taken from wages without a court order. I think the amount they can take follows the same formulae as deductions from benefits for over payments.

However the limitation act does still apply to court action for benefits overpayments (CCJs etc).

Now I rang the DWP about an overpayment of WTC for a family member and was told because it was passed to a DCA they couldn't take it back and deduct from present WTC. Apparently they couldn't deduct it anyway if they took it back because the present WTC payment is classed as a new claim as its no longer a joint claim with a partner.

However from October I believe everything changes so the DWP can take WTC overpayment from new WTC claims. I'm trying to get the DWP to take it back so that the rules have to followed re percentage of salary deductions.

I hope the above helps.

Tax credits are dealt with by HMRC and not DWP.

Yes your quite right, must be having a senior moment. Checked my notes and it is HMRC that are chasing my family member and its them I rang. However, everything else I said is valid. I will try and find where it says from October they can take it from new claims.

If the debt is valid, even if statute barred, the HMRC can obtain payment at some point. Wouldn't it be better to get it back to the HMRC than pay a DCA?

Tax credits are dealt with by HMRC and not DWP.

Correct. Never deal with a DCA. No reason to.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Yes your quite right, must be having a senior moment. Checked my notes and it is HMRC that are chasing my family member and its them I rang. However, everything else I said is valid. I will try and find where it says from October they can take it from new claims.

If the debt is valid, even if statute barred, the HMRC can obtain payment at some point. Wouldn't it be better to get it back to the HMRC than pay a DCA?

Chnages from October 2014 are detailed here:

http://www.revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-to-deal-with-hmrc/dealing-with-debt/#ongoing_recovery_old_tax_credits_debt