returning a sub £500 car?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2461 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi due to circumstances I won't bore people with I have had to purchase a car from a dealer for £495. the intention was to run this car for a year then replace. Before purchasing the car I asked if there werenany problems with it I should know about. I was told there wasn't.

I took the car for a test drive during which no problems were apparent I was unable to take it for a long test drive due to the amount of diesel in it. Anyhow I left the car outside the gates and went home as I was unable to pick it up later until later on.

I have just driven the 20 miles back home and had to drive it straight to my local garage as there is steam coming from under the bonnet. if it's a cheap fix then it doesn't matter so much, however if it's the head gasket or a leaky radiator then there's no way I'm gonna have it fixed when the price for repair is more than the car is worth.

On the receipt it does say "sold as seen, no warranties implied" my question is do I have any come back from this or do I write it off as a bad decision in life. I get that no car is gonna be perfect at £500 but if I had known about the issue from the outset I wouldn't have bought it. I will ring the garage if it turns out to be a head gasket as my garage man is ready to service it tomorrow. chances are they'll say tough titty. I'm just wandering if I'm covered by SOGA or I'll write it off as a bad experience. Thanks for any replies.

no it should last longer than 20 miles and unless the receipt says sold for scrap purposes or similar then you have a case to return it.

however I think a year may be ambitious for 495 but good luck anyway, hopefully it wont be the head gasket and you can prob get a 2nd hand rad quite cheaply or even stick some k seal in it.

thanks for both your replies, it would seem I am covered in the event of a disaster. luckily I have temporary use of another vehicle therefore there is no need for the car to move a muscle before it's resolved. I hope it's a cheap fix and I can move on I just want to be prepared for worst case scenario. I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks again.