Akinika working behalf of DWP

Bambi eyes
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3482 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi hope someone can help or advise me

H

I'm receiving letters from Akinika

they said I owe DWP £1,384

they have already sent me 2 letters and

today's one said if I've not paid them this amount in 10 days

they will pass this to their solicitors Wright Hassall LLP,

but when Dwp first asked me to pay this back I called them and emailed requesting proof of this debt

as I do not have any recollection of this debt,

I was on income support for a year that was 13 years ago

they over paid me and it was all taken back or I presume as I heard no more

that's only thing I can think of,anyway

I received no proof and saved emails

I sent them I also called dwp and asked them what is was for :???:

so they passed this on to a Akinika and now threatening me with their solicitor to make legal proceedings.

Should I contact these people asking for proof of debt also??

if I owed the debt and had the proof I would pay it back and offer an amount each month

I'm not refusing I just want proof this is my debt.

Hope someone can help as I'm starting to worry only my husband works at present

as I've two boys to look after all I get is £100 pounds a week

and that's to pay of my other bills

I'm considering step change if I owe this debt to help me out :(

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scare tactics - even if you do owe the money an overpayment is not your fault if you claimed legitimately. Draw up an income and expenditure sheet and add everything from food, to utilities, to healthcare, clothing etc to it and bunce up some of the figures then offer them £1 a month. My Father owed £71,000 odd on loand and credit cards years ago, he was signed off ill and had to give up work, he pays £5p/m for all his debts. Do not be intimidated by them

You need to make any request for clarification of the debt - in writing - . Interesting that the minute you telephone the DWP and ask them how this came about and they offload it to a DCA ?

I am pretty certain that they will not be able to take legal action to recover this alleged debt .

Whilst they cant take legal action - if at some time in the future you apply for any type of benefit, they can recover the monies from that.. this is all based on the assumption that you DO actually owe them anything. They seem to be reluctant thus far to provide this proof.

So, I dont think you need to lose any sleep :)

I have alerted others on the site team with more knowledge to confirm.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you all,wasn't sure what to do as I said I'd happily pay it back if I do owe it, all I want was proof I do,and didn't want anything bad to come to my door cause id panic on the spot and don't want to go to court or anything.

Thank you I'm a born worrier :lol:

Thank you all,wasn't sure what to do as I said I'd happily pay it back if I do owe it, all I want was proof I do,and didn't want anything bad to come to my door cause id panic on the spot and don't want to go to court or anything.

Thank you I'm a born worrier :lol:

There will be nothing bad come to your door - whilst these DCAs would love to bring back debtors prisons and the sale of new borns, owing money is NOT a criminal offence. The behaviour of the DCAs however is bordering on harassment and is certainly misleading.

Do I call dwp to pay it if I get the proof I do owe or offer the payment to the debt agency?thanks essexmat

You must NOT call anyone - email or letter - you want everythign in writing,not least proof that you do actually owe this money.

Thank you citizenB :)

You are welcome :thumb:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

yes ignore the DCA

they cannot do ANYTHING for a Gov't debt.

they just think, as they always do..

they are onto a mug where gov't debts are concerned.

because they think you'll fall for their useless powerless threats.

if you owe any thing at all

pay and talk to DWP directly.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

email who?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Bambi, you can email or write to DWP asking for proof of their claim.. but you mustnt PHONE them :)

My post was a little ambiguous.. my point was that you need to keep everything in writing.. email or letter.. not phone.

BCOBS

Is there an email address for the DWP ??

BCOBS

Is there an email address for the DWP ??

Might be difficult to get to the right department.

I suggest you send a sar to dwp which should provide all the info you need. Normally these cost £10 but are free from dwp. :)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Bambi, this is the Subject Access Request you need to use.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?406188-DWP-Subject-Access-Request-From-(SAR)

You need to enclose either a cheque or postal order for £10.00 which is the statutory legal fee - they have 40 calendar days in which to supply all the data.. and as Caro has said.. this should provide all the information you require :)

:lol: I didnt realise caro had already linked it for you.

BCOBS

I thought DWP sar's were free?

dx

and they

Yes, they are dx.. I am not firing on all cylinders at the moment. Caro had actually pointed out that it was free as well :)

BCOBS

I will write all this down in the morning lol I'm getting all confused :D which isn't hard I'll click on the links and I'll let you all know how I get on if I get stuck I'll be sure to message you all 😄😄 bless you all,hate being a worrier..

OK, worrying is natural and these situations can be confusing, so let's see if we can summarise what's happening here.

• About 13 years ago you claimed IS for a year
  • There was an overpayment
  • Money was taken from your benefits to repay it
  • And as far as you understand, the matter was closed then
  • But now the DWP, via a debt collection agency, is demanding £1384
  • This is the first you have heard about the matter since your claim ended 13 years ago

If correct, then the following information has been offered by posters here:

• Deal with this matter only in writing (or by email if you must, but certainly not by phone)
  • DCAs cannot take court action for government debts, only the government itself can do that
  • So don't pay the DCA anything
  • The debt may be statute barred - that is, enough time has passed since last payment or acknowledgement of the debt that the DWP cannot take action through the courts in any case
  • But they could recover from any future benefits you claim, including any State Retirement Pension you may be entitled to
  • It is not your job to prove you don't owe money, it is their job to prove that you do

So you can do either or both of these things:

• Contact DWP Debt Management and ask them to show why you still owe money - including how the overpayment arose and any payments already made
  • Send a Subject Access Request for all information relating to this matter. The DWP does not charge a fee and you should receive a response within 40 days

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

:thumb:

BCOBS