Asda online won't substitute cheap alcohol!

silverlady
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In my usual weekly online order from asda, I ordered their cheapest vodka. When the order arrived there was no vodka and when I telephoned the store to ask why no substitute had been offered, I was informed that under new government guidelines, they are unable to substitute more expensive alcohol. I contacted Tesco and asked if this was the case with them too and they told me that they hadn't heard anything about this, and they would have substituted.

I'm still waiting for a phone call from Asda to quote the legislation on this as I can't find it anywhere and surely, if it's EU law, as was suggested, all the online supermarkets would be aware?

I've been given a number to call, 0800 9526060, by Beth on Twitter to discuss this, but I suspect that this is the SA call centre who knew nothing about it when I spoke to them yesterday. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me and I have always had good service from them in the past but, if this is true, I'm considering changing to Tesco.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Government guidelines, or store guidelines are different than EU law. Why would you bring up EU law if its just general guidelines?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The person I spoke to at the store, when I phoned to ask why they hadn't substituted, told me that it was "new EU guidance", and "government" was also mentioned, which is why I am asking. Does anyone know the legislation referred to here?

If it is just new store policy why didn't they say so?

I'm asking if anyone else has had any experience of this or knows about any new laws etc. Sorry if I was unclear. Thank you.

Chances are you spoke to a staff memeber that just wanted you to go away. Did you speak to a manager? Perhaps go back and speak to the duty manager and get the stores official reason.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

No I spoke to the online shopping manager, and their Twitter feed also confirms that it's legislation as she told me to "go to the government website". I intend to speak to someone else about it but in the meantime was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

Write a letter of complaint to

SDA UK

5fa04704b46ab9904cb64c4f40ff21ce_normal.jpegMr Andy ClarkeChief Executive Email[email protected]Telephone0113 243 5435Fax0113 241 8666Websitehttp://www.asda.co.ukSocial Mediafavicon.icofavicon.icofavicon.icofavicon.icofavicon.ico Postal AddressGreat Wilson Street, Leeds, LS11 5AD, UKfavicon.icoCompany Number01396513favicon.ico See alsoCustomer Services Companies House data for UK companies from 01396510 to 01396519

• Confused 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Thanks all. I don't mind paying a bit more for my tipple, whatever it is, I just need to know that if I order it, it will be delivered and I also don't like not being told up front when these things are going to happen. I can't find anything on Asda's website informing customers of this new rule/policy/legislation...wherever it originates. I'm going to phone tomorrow, as no one got back to me today, and see if they can give me any evidence at all, then I may email Mr Andy Clarke.....or just change to Tesco for my online shop (only I have already paid for 3 months deliveries in advance with Asda and, despite this, I'd prefer to stay with them!)

I'm surevasdas executive team will. Come to a resolution. I mean its just a bottle of alcohol and as you say there seems to be no law despite what they say.

I telephoned the store to speak to the manager but was cut off. The second time I tried, I was put through to the team in South Africa and, after keeping me on hold, I was told that this isn't legislation, it's merely the store policy. She even agreed that I was lied to, in writing, on Twitter, and seemed to find the whole thing quite amusing.

I didn't say in my OP, but I had been overcharged £56 in this order where they didn't deliver the alcohol. They did refund it but they cannot assure me that if I order alcohol, it will be delivered. I'm a senior citizen, not an underage drinker and I have come to the conclusion that this was done to get rid of me as a customer! I have always had great customer service but I do complain if goods are not as good as they should be or items are missing, so I can only assume that I have complained once too often.

So be it! I have now ordered from Tesco. Asda happily told me that they could not refund the £15 delivery charge I paid because I have used it twice. I don't care. I feel badly treated and a little paranoid but I have sent an email to Andy Clarke. We will see.

Well done, please keep us updated.

UPDATE: I'm amazed to say that I have had a reply from the office of Andy Clarke already. They are investigating and hope to report back to me by next Thursday and, in the meantime, have refunded the £15 delivery charge as a gesture of goodwill!

Good to see asda doing the right thing, even if they used the "gesture of goodwill" phrase.

I telephoned the store to speak to the manager but was cut off. The second time I tried, I was put through to the team in South Africa and, after keeping me on hold, I was told that this isn't legislation, it's merely the store policy. She even agreed that I was lied to, in writing, on Twitter, and seemed to find the whole thing quite amusing.

I didn't say in my OP, but I had been overcharged £56 in this order where they didn't deliver the alcohol. They did refund it but they cannot assure me that if I order alcohol, it will be delivered. I'm a senior citizen, not an underage drinker and I have come to the conclusion that this was done to get rid of me as a customer! I have always had great customer service but I do complain if goods are not as good as they should be or items are missing, so I can only assume that I have complained once too often.

So be it! I have now ordered from Tesco. Asda happily told me that they could not refund the £15 delivery charge I paid because I have used it twice. I don't care. I feel badly treated and a little paranoid but I have sent an email to Andy Clarke. We will see.

If its the case where you have made to many complaint then the amount l have made re rude staff, items missing, out of date items, being over charged etc in regards to tesco over the past 4 yrs means l should be ditched soon.

I did use to have a perfect customer service from them till they dropped the double points for alleged price cuts.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Just an update if anyone is interested to say that I have heard nothing more from Asda, neither have I had the promised refund yet! In their email they said they hoped to have gathered information by 28th and they'd telephone me, so I'll give them until next week then I'll contact Andy Clarke again. It was one of his subordinates who emailed me so maybe they need a reminder!

I'm sure they're working on it, but do update us.

Just an update if anyone is interested to say that I have heard nothing more from Asda, neither have I had the promised refund yet! In their email they said they hoped to have gathered information by 28th and they'd telephone me, so I'll give them until next week then I'll contact Andy Clarke again. It was one of his subordinates who emailed me so maybe they need a reminder!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally received a phone call. I was informed that the government had given supermarkets new rules preventing them selling alcohol below cost price and that Asda took a "belt and braces" stance on this meaning that they could not sell a more expensive alcohol at a cheaper price as this would be them selling "below cost price". I suppose it makes some sort of sense, though I doubt that all Asda stores are doing the same thing and Tesco certainly aren't! He told me that he was going to check with their legal team and, to get me to come back to Asda, my next bottle of vodka would be on them. I've also had the £15 refund. I'm quite happy with Tesco at the moment, so I'm staying with them, though I don't think I'll ever be loyal to one particular store again.