Jump to content

Southern water meter....burst water pipe...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2664 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



As above;


Southern water fitted a meter to my 76yr Mother's house a few months ago, after 2 leaks at the meter point, the last one a few weeks ago, repaired all seemed well.


Firstly; it looks like the yearly water will now rise from £290 to around £440 per yr.

Secondly; she's now told the meter cannot be removed after being told if she didn't like it in a year's time, it could be removed.

Thirdly; the last straw, because they increased the water pressure a few weeks ago for some reason, it appears this has burst a water pipe under the kitchen floor, and flooded the kitchen. They say they are not responsible for water damage inside the property.


Questions; Are they responsible? Is they any action that can be taken? Can she get the water meter removed?


Thankfully she has insurance, but how much work and £££ they cover is yet to be found out.


Please, any help/answers will be gratefully received,


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello there, and my sympathies to your mum.


Having had a burst water main under our house last year, I can tell you that any leak that happens within the boundaries of your land is likely to be down to you, or your mum in this case. As soon as the pipe crosses into your property, it stops being the water company's problem.


Our house insurance covered it and it wasn't a problem.


I hope your mum is as fortunate.



Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites



"HBee" Is correct.

This will be down to your Mums insurance.


They will cover the cost of damage "caused" by the water leak.

Kitchen base units, flooring, plaster work, skirting, door linings, architraves etc.


They will not cover the "Repair" to the pipe work. (Which will require a new water main pipe from the meter to the stopcock. ....

(For those wishing to be "politically correct) ... Shut Off Valve. .....

Don't start me on the PC bit. That was like "relearning my trade". .....


Anyway I digress.

They (insurance) will pay for "seek and find" (the leak).


They will also play "Hard Ball" with regards to "costs and estimates".

So you will need to "Fight".


If the property requires drying out with dehumidifiers .... Remember to claim for the electricity used.

That is something often "over looked" but VERY "costly"


Who is the Insurer ???

Have they appointed a Loss Adjuster ??? If so who ?



Link to post
Share on other sites



Thank you both for your helpful comments and "honeybee13" sorry to hear about your burst water pipe.


"F16" (gotta love flying Falcons) She has household insurance through the co-op and homeserve cover, who've (a contractor) been out yesterday, saw the damage, took a few photos and will report back to homeserve who have been very helpful so far.


Will be phoning both companies today to see what the next step is.

Thanks again.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...