More problems with car from dealer

zx6r
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon,

We bought a 2 year old car from a car dealer 12 days ago. While having a test run there was grinding from the wheels but the salesman said that was probably due to it sitting in their forecourt for weeks and I agreed.

The morning after we took delivery the grinding was still there so called them back and the car was taken into the workshop and the pads were cleaned. They had stated that some dirt and rust had got in.

Still no change though and I noticed that one side of the rear brake discs had scores and the other side was smooth. Called them back up and got the usual fob off that brakes are not supposed to be silent and the scores will go away once the car is being used. I did use the car but again no change.

Not happy with their response I had a brake inspection done on the car and the fault was a damaged brake pad. Somehow there is a chip out of one of them causing the grinding and the scores.

Back to dealer with the brake report but they have said as long as the brakes function there is no problem and that they was no damage when their mechanic cleaned the brakes, but they are fully booked up till next week and they will test drive it.

Told them id prefer them to look at the pads rather than do a test drive rather than do any more damage to the discs, plus id want it checked before next week. Next weeks the best they can do and they wont allow me to take it to any of their other branches.

The salesman has said its now out of his hands and its back to the service supervisor but they are basically saying that they wont be fixing as the grinding on the test drive was due to the car sitting for a few weeks.

Ive had a quote from another dealer for £109 plus vat using oem parts but don't see why I should be paying for something they should have fixed before selling to me.

I do intend to complain to their head office but looking at any other advice.

Cheers

SOGA? Car is not fit for purpose or was sold even though it was dangerous.

• Confused 1

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for your post.

The brake inspection that was carried out did state that the brakes were defective.

Im just at the stage as to whether I get the brakes repaired to limit any more damage or hold off and wait for a response from my complaint. Only thing the latter means I wont be able to use the car.

either way im still going to letter them.

thanks once again

Well, i think you still have the right to return the car and demand a full refund. However, if you want the dealer to rectify the problem, you have to give them the opportunity to do so before you do anything else. You have an independent report stating that the dealer is 100% wrong and the brakes are defective. So it should be a straightfoward issue.

If you want to reject it, i think the law states that you can do so within 14 days and recieve a full refund.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Here's some info:-

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/tradingstandards/documents/Checklistforsecondhandcardealers.pdf

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/tradingstandards/documents/Guidanceforsecondhandcardealers.pdf

The best thing is to communicate via email or record the calls, so you have an actual record of what they say.

Thanks folks,

I really like the car and would prefer to keep it

I actually have all the emails between myself and the salesman. I also have the email with the salesman agreeing there was a grinding noise on the test drive.

Would it count as giving them a chance to rectify, as ive already taken the car to them and they diagnosed dirt in the pads.

Thanks

If theyve said they can take a look at it again, then demand it sooner, as the car would be dangerous to drive as you are risking the discs and pads failing. Now you have the report about the breaks, they cant worm their way out of it. They have to replace them at THEIR expense.

a defective pad like that is very dodgy, you at least need the pad(s) replaced free of charge.

disc wear is another point entirely, a secondhand car would be expected to have some wear to the discs, as long as they are within recommended tolerances that's ok.

Hi,

yes the report said that the discs are fine and the grooves will wear away when the new pads are fitted.

Ive just called the dealers and had a moan at them and they still say cant get it booked in till next week. Said its no good and want it done sooner but they are not budging.

Because we have youngsters I think we are going to have to get the repair done elsewhere. Cant take the risk

TBH I think ive miffed them off even more now :-o

Edited by zx6r

Sit tight and wait for more advice. You MIGHT be able to get them replaced and invoice the dealer for them, as they said they already checked the pads before. Wait for confirmation first though.

The grooves in the disc will not go away even with new pads. The pic you have sent indicates that the pad has overheated so possibly the caliper piston has seized at some point. Pads are designed to cope with this.

It's an easy thing to put right so if I were you then give the dealer the option of fitting a new pad set within 24 hours or get the repair done yourself and bill the dealer.

From an engineering perspective this would not be considered dangerous but the braking performance is compromised to a certain extent so be careful in quoting "the brakes are dangerous" if you decide to take any action as this could easily be challenged.

Brakes do make a noise but the key is how much and what is acceptable. You'll also probably find that your wheels get dirty very quickly as well.

Thanks for your advice. Im going to pester them once again in the morning. I have a report that states defective so will keep to that wording.

Ill keep the forum updated.

thanks