Shedstore - "Weather proof" storage that leaks *** Resolved ***

Leicester_H
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

We recently bought a plastic garden storage unit from shedstore. (can't post link as too few posts)

They desribed it as

" suitable for both indoor or outdoor use, garage or patio."

The box it came it stated "Weather proof for outdoor use"

However, the doors only touch at the top and bottom and there is a 4mm gap in the middle that lets rain in (the doors would need to overlap to be rainproof)

We contacted shedstore (by email) who then contacted their supplier.

They suggested that we add some additional door seals and they stated that the product is not waterproof!

We do not think that we should have to make adjustments and that the cabinet should be fit-for-purpose as supplied.

Also, the box clearly states "Weather proof for outdoor use".

Shedstore are now ignoring our emails.

Can anyone suggest how we should proceed please ?

Many thanks in advance, H

Hi Leicester_H

How did you purchase it? Internet/Instore,

How did you pay for it? Credit Card/Debit Card

Sale of Goods Act 1979 - http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

It's clearly 'not as described' or 'fit for purpose'. You clearly want to reject the shed.

You could consider complaining to the ASA regarding the 'waterproof claim' on the packaging. http://www.asa.org.uk/

Also complaing to Trading Standards - http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

Hi

WOW - that was a quick reply - thanks.

We purchased it via their web site.

We paid using Paypal (which,in turn, is paid for by a credit card). - £114.99

We bought it on 19 July and it was delivered on 24th July.

We assembled it and emailed them about the problem on 25 July (ie immediately)

We had to wait for replies as a few emails went back and forth (but they are now not replying).

The cabinet 'clicked' together and would be very difficult to disassemble to get back into box.

Thanks, H

Hi Leicester_H

Provided your Paypal balance was zero, when you made payment via Credit Card, then contact your card provider and ask to carry out a Section 75 claim. The fact that the shed is built shouldn't be an issue. See what your card provider advise. Maybe use WD40 to aid the dismantling of the shed.

Send emails from the company to support your claim, take a pic of the box, where it says it's waterproof, send the pic's too.

The Consumer Contract Regulations 2013 apply.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

Keep all communication in writing, cuts out any misunderstandings.

Thanks for replies - I will draft some emails today.

(My husband has just been diagnosed with cancer, so we have had frequent hospital visits - hence delay in replying to your helpful messages - so the shed problem is something we could do without!)

Thanks all, H

No need to apologise, wish him our best and a full recovery , if further advice is required just ask.

Thanks for replies - I will draft some emails today.

(My husband has just been diagnosed with cancer, so we have had frequent hospital visits - hence delay in replying to your helpful messages - so the shed problem is something we could do without!)

Thanks all, H

• 1 month later...

Hi

We emailed the company using one of the templates from the site suggested above.

--------------------------------------

Dear Customer Care at Shedstore

On 19 July 2014 I placed an order for a Cabinet with divider 3x2 Garden Storage unit and received it on 24 July 2014. I have discovered that the unit has the following problem: it is NOT suitable for outdoor use as it lets in water when it rains. I notified you of this problem on 25th July 2014.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 makes it an implied term of the contract that goods be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. I attach a photograph of the label which states the unit is “Weather proof for outdoor use”. Since it allows rain in, it is not Weather proof for outdoor use and so not fit for purpose.

As you are in breach of contract I am entitled to reject the shed and request a refund and I would request that you confirm that you will do this within the next seven days.

I also require you to confirm whether you will arrange for the storage unit to be collected or will reimburse me for the cost of returning it.

I look forward to receiving your satisfactory proposals for settlement of my claim within seven days of the date of this email.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

They telephoned within a few days to arrange collection of the shed. The shed was collected within a week. They took a while to refund the money (we had to email them again) but we now have a full refund.

So thanks for the advice. I am about to make a small donation so that you can carry on your good work.

Thanks again for speedy and excellent advice, H