Collectica Enforcement Service - Council Tax that doesn't belong to me?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2663 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A bit of background for this, 2 years a go I had a joint tenancy agreement that a friend of mine took the 'lead' for. With this, he took the bills in his name - This included the Council Tax.

Unknowingly to me, he moved out and I discovered that despite me sending him the money, the bills had not been paid. Most of them stopped chasing me because his name was solely on the accounts and had nothing to do with me.

Since he moved, I subsequently opened a new account with the Council that started a fresh payment plan for the property.

I was contacted a while after saying I had missed payments on my new plan - This confused me and it had turned out that my direct debit was incorrectly setup by the council to the OLD account that my friend was paying for (my name was not on this). I subsequently had all the payment from the last several months moved to the correct account and I haven't heard from anyone since.

Since then, I have heard nothing from the Council that would indicate I am in any danger of debt.

Today, I found a letter from a Collectica Enforcement agency stating they wanted to come into the property and take items that would pay for the 'Outstanding Council Tax' debt.

Since its a Saturday I am limited to who I can talk to in hopes of getting this sorted.

In preparation for this, can anyone help educate me on what can be done with this?

As far as I'm aware, I never signed or agreed to have my name on the council tax. My name would only ever be on the account from the moment the council set up the direct debit against the wrong account against this property.

Edited by AaronDebt

You need to contact the council first thing Monday morning to register a complaint. Just explain what you have said in your post above and that you have had no demand for any council tax other than what you are paying. They should stop the Collectica activity and look into it.

The council should have sent you a demand covering the relevant period they are chasing and then correspondence about going to Magistrates to get a liability order. As it sounds like you have not received these, you need to enter into a complaint with the council. Magistrates won't get involved, unless you pay the relevant fee and apply for a set aside of the liability order, the process of which I am not sure of. Magistrates probably won't be interested in looking at a set aside of the order, unless you have given the council the opportunity of resolving through you making a complaint.

The council are responsible for this and need to resolve for you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You need to contact the council first thing Monday morning to register a complaint. Just explain what you have said in your post above and that you have had no demand for any council tax other than what you are paying. They should stop the Collectica activity and look into it.

The council should have sent you a demand covering the relevant period they are chasing and then correspondence about going to Magistrates to get a liability order. As it sounds like you have not received these, you need to enter into a complaint with the council. Magistrates won't get involved, unless you pay the relevant fee and apply for a set aside of the liability order, the process of which I am not sure of. Magistrates probably won't be interested in looking at a set aside of the order, unless you have given the council the opportunity of resolving through you making a complaint.

The council are responsible for this and need to resolve for you.

Hello unclebulgaria,

Thanks for the response on this, first threat I've ever received for something like this so it's reassuring to have help from someone.

Just to confirm, even though Collectica are the ones contacting me, I can still do everything through the council to sort this out?

I'll be doing what I can with the council first thing Monday morning. Thank you for the advice.

Yes the council have to deal with this as Collectica are just acting for them to collect money or goods. They won't be interested in your complaint.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Today, I found a letter from a Collectica Enforcement agency stating they wanted to come into the property and take items that would pay for the 'Outstanding Council Tax' debt.

They have no right of entry

No entry by force

If they turn up before it is sorted keep them out

Deal with council

Copy in local MP and councillors

That should bring things to a rapid conclusion

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

What date is the letter from Collectica Ltd and is the letter entitled: Notice of Enforcement? What date was it dated and you should see on the front (or possibly on the reverse) that date and time by which payment must be made. Can you post back with details.

What date is the letter from Collectica Ltd and is the letter entitled: Notice of Enforcement? What date was it dated and you should see on the front (or possibly on the reverse) that date and time by which payment must be made. Can you post back with details.

Just says 'Removal Visit' in big red writing. No real evidence of court ordered information and this is specifically dated 13th August 2014. Nothing on the back.

I've attached a copy of it with the obvious information cut from it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52830[/ATTACH]

With the greatest respects, the writing is pretty big and is visible from the attachment. There is no small print on it. I'll try and make a PDF when I am back at home.

But to anyone that views it it is only the size of a postage stamp.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With the greatest respects, the writing is pretty big and is visible from the attachment. There is no small print on it. I'll try and make a PDF when I am back at home.

Please do. Here's what we see

Untitled-2.jpg

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

With the greatest respect I am not the only poster that has said this, lol this is why a pdf is the given format for attachment's, we will be able to see so much more and advise much more clearly, no harm no foul

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.