Accident Compensation

Alesha
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Since being involved in a very minor, no fault accident, where no one was injured, I have been harassed by numerous companies encouraging me to claim for compensation which could be up to £3000. It was suggested that I might suffer twinges due to tightening of the seat belt or possibly getting a headache in the next few weeks which could be attributed to the accident. I was even informed that the other party had claimed even though I know she was not injured - she was very apologetic. Apparently this money has to be set aside, by law and if not claimed goes into the insurer's pocket so I might as well have it!!(I was told). I believe that the only way these companies could have acquired the details would have been from the Insurance companies involved - Aegeas in our case and Halifax in the case of the third party. This practice surely needs to be stopped and must be in breach of data protection. I cannot believe that this practice is legal and if it is then the law needs to be changed.

I imagine the actual callers will be at arms length from anyone the ICO could/would do anything about - either overseas or little companies set up for this purpose to make initial contact and then disappear before any complaints get acted on. Ageas/Halifax may also not be the responsible parties - you need to consider recovery firms, repair firms, hire companies etc - there's a lot of different companies involved in even a light accident.

Sadly this sort of thing is very tempting for people who aren't hurt but are prepared to lie for 2-3K tax free.

I hear all the time about accidents that have happened where it was just a small bump, not even any damage in some cases, then a few weeks later, one of them have opened a claim for whiplash. I'd assume most have been persuaded by these cold calls.

How do they even get hold of the details of those involved?

My son was contacted about a year after a "bump" - a lady he knew ran in to him and immediately accepted blame - the car was repaired by her insurers very quickly and all was well. However, after telling these claims people he wasn't interested - they still wrote to his insurers, Hastings, and he got letter from them asking for details of his "claim". He phoned them and he told them he'd never made a claim .... Unbelievebly Hastings told him he needed to pay £25 to "close the claim down" - for a claim he never made!

We will be contacting the claims company with a view to recovering the £25 plus compensation.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

If these NWNF companies text then forward their message to 7726, (spam) on your keypad.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If these NWNF companies text then forward their message to 7726, (spam) on your keypad.

Even better idea!

Although I feel I should point out that it's unlawful for a firm of solicitors to cold call or cold text so it is probably a CMC or other dodgey non regulated company.

• 3 months later...