CRS / Harlands (another Q)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive searched, found info, followed up and had a response from CRS telling me that due to the fact the have to pay for envelopes and lights etc, their £60 charges for chasing a "debt" are fair...

My Story - Signed up for a membership at X4L last August (I thought sooner but not apparently), cancelled my DD as I "thought" Id paid up my 12 months and have been contacted to say I had cancelled 3 months before the end of my contract.

I have contacted the gym directly who have told me they tried to contact me via telephone (no longer have the PAYG number) and that the issue had been passed onto CRS.

I have emailed the following to CRS / X4L Head Office and also my local X4L

Dear Sirs,

I will pay the final 3 month's fee of £29.97 due for the last 3 months of my contract, but I will not pay your unenforceable unlawful penalty charges.

Once you agree IN WRITING to accept the £29.97 in full settlement of all that I owe for the gym membership, I will pay it off within 2 weeks (14 days) of your acknowledgment.

My offer stands for 14 days only (from 4th August 2014) after which it will be withdrawn. If you fail to accept my offer or you demand any amounts in excess of £29.97, I will pay you nothing. - Thankyou to whoever it was who posted the above on CAG :)

They've replied and given me 7 days to pay a reduced payment of £96.47 and they'll bugger off and leave me alone.

Now, what would be the best thing to do... reply and insist I aren't paying the £60+ charges they say

"we concede that the cost of the paper, envelope and franking of the default letters does not make up the entirety of the rest of the sum, however, as a business they have to pay overheads for staff wages, whose employment would not otherwise be required if it were not for the missed or returned payments and furthermore pay overheads for office space and increased usage of utilities, equipment, furniture and stationary to accommodate these staff and the processes involved with the administration involved with missed or returned payments, costing hundreds of thousands of pounds every year."

Annoyingly, due to a "personal issue" (finding out a long lost family member uses the gym) I haven't even set foot into the place so they've had 9 months payments off me for begger'all :mad2::mad2:

Ignore CRS in their entirety, just pay the Gym direct..

You need to report CRS to the FCA regarding their extortion fees, corresponding with them simply encourages them and gets them excited.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The Gym wont discuss the account with me....

I've offered to pay the £29.97 direct with the possibility of reinstating the membership (even with the personal issue, which is "slowly" getting resolved) but they dont want to know unless I make the payment of £90+ (Im assuming they are all under the same umbrella? Harlands / CRS & X4L?)

The gym is solely responsible, they cannot wash their hands of it just because they think they have passed it on to the clueless CRS.

You would be correct that they are all under the same umbrella.

I can only stress that you deal direct with the gym, tell them that they are solely responsible, and you will not deal with anyone other than themselves, if needs be escalate it to the gym manager, if they are fruitless then continue escalating it up until you reach the top, the CEO.

Your not going to pay the extortion fees they demand, so they can forget that. Just pay them what you owe, the £30.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The DCA cannot touch you. Tell them to sod off and deal with the gym direct. If the gym wont deal with you, then write a very strong letter to harlands, restating what you said. If they refuse to back down, just ignore them, as your letter told them you would. It is extremely unlikely they will touch your credit file, or do court as they dont want their unenforceable charges to be paraded around in public.

• Confused 1

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Stokie,

Harlands and CRS are simply one and the same so the letter already sent to CRS would have reached and been read by Harlands.

Harlands have a reputation for arguing to justify their Admin Charges are fair, reasonable, etc. They've even gone so far as to suggest the charges are "approved" by The OFT, which is nonsense. We maintain their Admin Chgs are unlawful penalties and are therefore not enforceable. Even though they are mentioned in the gym T&C's, that does not make the chgs lawful or enforceable.

Because the problem was initially caused by you cancelling early, I would give Harlands one final chance to accept your off by writing to Harlands saying :-

I refer to my letter of xxdate and the reply from CRS of xxdate.

Despite your assertions, your Admin Fees are unlawful penalty charges and I will not pay them, in part or in full.

I realise it was my error to stop the DD mandate early so I will now give you one final chance to accept the following offer which is valid for 14 days only.

I offer to pay the final 3 months fees of £29.97 to settle the matter. If you confirm you'll accept this offer in full settlement of all that I owe you, I will pay you promptly.

If you make any other response, I reserve the right to ignore further communications from you Harlands/CRS but I may make formal complaints to Trading Standards.

See how they respond and let us know.

:-)

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Stokie,

Can you confirm, was the email reply you sent me an hour back their reply to your email as per post #6.

You can post this on the thread here, so folk see the lengths to which Harlands will go to justify their unlawful penalty charges.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 3 weeks later...

OK.... further update.

Heard nothing from anybody within the 14 day timescale, received an email from the gym on the 29th (see below)

Good morning,

It has come to our attention that there is a problem with your membership and it has been passed to Harlands/CRS. This means there is missed payments on your account and if its not sorted you could build a substantial amount of charges.

If you could give us a ring on XXXXXXXXXXX or come to the gym to see us we will resolve this for you.

I sent them a copy of the email I sent to CRS on the 14th August.

Then on the 3rd Sept I received a telephone call (message left) and promptly afterwards the following email...

Re: CRS Ref No: Xxxxx / Xercise 4 Less Ref No: xxxxxx

Further to your recent e-mail regarding your account balance.

Please contact CRS directly on 01444 449165 to discuss your account within the next 10 days. A suitable resolution can be organised.

Yours sincerely,

Do I ignore? Or Contact the gym to pay?

Contact the gym. None of their charges are enforceable, so dont worry about that. And completely ignore CRS.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Stokie,

You could go in to the gym and offer to pay the 3 months fees of £29.97 so that, regardless of what Harlands or CRS say, it is clear that you've paid off all that you owe.

However, I would expect that Harlands/CRS will continue to press for payment of their admin fees. So paying the gym may not stop Harlands/CRS bothering you.

Would you be willing to pay the gym now so it is clear that you've done all that you should.

Or would you rather not pay Harlands due to their failure to respond to you within the 14 days you gave them.

Let us know your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

slick,

Apologies in the delay in replying....

I'm extremely tempted to call into the gym and offer to pay the £29.97 but i have a feeling they will insist I go via CRS (as they did the previous time I contacted them)...

Just a quick question, CRS keep referring to me signing a contract, which I haven't... I'm assuming signatures happen on the first visit to the gym (I have never set foot in the building) with that in mind can I assume that I haven't signed any form of contract and if thats the case no written contract exists?

Again, cheers for your input :)

No idea? Only you will known how you agreed to their T&C's and whether you signed anything...

Contact the gym direct, ideally go in in person with the cash, and simply hand it over to them saying ''this is the last payment for my membership'' If they don't want it, then IMO you don't owe it, if they claim that you need pay CRS/Harlands tell them that is never going to happen, they cannot just wash their hands of this simply because they have passed it onto these clowns, they are ultimately responsible for the actions of their chosen 3rd party DCA.

Hi Stokie,

Go into the gym and give them £29.97 as the amount you owe. Tell them you need to pay this to them now to avoid further problems with Harlands, but don;t go into any further detail.

Tell them to take your money and give you a receipt.

If they refuse to accept it, that's their problem.

As B Boo says above, there are several way you may have agreed to the agreement T&C's but I doubt that's relevant now.

Let us know how you get on .............

• 2 months later...

Morning All,

Apologies in the delay in replying to the thread, my other half was taken ill a few weeks ago (with heart failure) so wasting my time on these imbeciles was last on my list.

I did ring the gym and ask about paying the £29.97 and explained I was not going to pay CRS, they didnt want to know.....

Ive had one or two letters of CRS and a couple of txts (which I have ignored), I now have a company called Zinc chasing me for the same "debt". They emailed me last Thursday, I replied explaining the situation and gave them 7 days to accept my £29.97. They rang me this morning to discuss the account.... told them that I WOULD NOT be paying unlawful charges, they advised they would pass back to their client.

I also advised Zinc that any further correspondence will be replied to and I will be charging for my time and stationary..... at £20 per letter (email)

Sorry to hear of your OH health problems, everything else most certainly does come last, especially dealing with clowns like this.

You have made your position perfectly clear to them now, if the Gym refuses to take responsibility for this, then there is nothing

else you can do, they don't want the money they claim you owe, therefore, any future parasites who try and demand payment off you

can be told that the account is firmly in dispute with the gym, and you will be paying nothing to anyone.

If possible, keep off the phone, and keep everything in writing/email.

I would ignore anyone except the gym from now on, give a dog a bone and it will keep coming back, DCA's are no different.

Hi SP,

As BB says, stay OFF the phone. If Harlands or CRS or Zinc call you, tell them to put anything they have to say in writing only, then hang up.

After Zinc, you may hear from Major & Co but you can ignore them for now as Zinc need no reply.

Keep us informed and I hope your OH is improving.

• 8 months later...
Heard nothing, apart from the gym contacting me asking if they could "Tempt me back" :)

Ha ha, like I told the 'Talk Talk' rep trying to flog me their phone package yesterday, ''I'd rather s##t in my hands and clap thank you!'' :clap2:

Hi SP and thanks for the update.

I hope that's the last you hear from but only time will tell.