What type of Fly is this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not the best of pictures, but for something the size of a fruit fly it's the best I could get.

This fly has infested our chimney and they are actually coming out through the open brickwork. It's an old place 1860's and we opened up the fireplace in this ex bedroom and installed a log burner a year ago exposing the natural brickwork.

My first thought was there must be a dead bird or squirrel in the chimney, but I had the people who installed the log burner back and got them to check the chimney out and there are no bodies there.

As this room is on the top floor (2 story) it's under the attic but I have never ventured up there as the previous owners stuffed it to the gills with insualtion, left the old fibre-glass insulation up there and just opening up the door fills me with itchy shards of fine degrading padding. The chimney is way over the far side of the attic too so it's impossible to get to without the fear I have of sending my leg through the plaster ceiling having missed a beam under this padding.

So, having called the council Pest Control department and told they 'don't do' flies, I've called 2 Pest Control Companies who assured me someone would call me back and haven't (obviously got too much work to bother! - good ole English service!) I need to try and find out what these are, and how to get rid of them.

Thus far I have lit the burner and heated it to as much as I could bear three times now and it does seem to have cleared many of them, but still they come, not so many now, but they head for the windows for the light I guess but they crawl all over the carpet too.

I think they are too small to be flying ants and the short antenna make them differ from fruit flies, so I am relying on the combined knowledge of cag to establish exactly what these gremlins actually are.

I looked at sprays but most are highly inflammable and not something I want to introduce to a chimney although we don't use the fire a lot and it is summer so I could chance it. Just be nice to know what they are...

The photo is a X30 and was taken on my mobile phone through a kiddies 'bug' telescope

gadget, just getting the thing steady to photo was bad enough so sorry for the size.

Thoughts please?

A1[ATTACH=CONFIG]52807[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52808[/ATTACH]

google images for "cluster fly" andrew.. see if that is what you have ?

http://www.totalpestmanagement.net/flies-cluster-flies/

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks guys and gals, looking at these pictures (and I've looked at so many previously) this looks as though it is either a fruit fly or a fungus knat.

There are no food items in the chimney or in the attic other than a dead something or another acting as a host and as I said, the chimney appears clear so it has to be the attic and I can't get to see so the question now is how do so many get into such a place and could this be a nesting place?

Once I know how they breed (keep it clean please:wink:) then I can establish whether it's a nest or a dead something, then maybe I can find a solution as to how to get rid of them.

A1

Could it have been blown into the chimney?

Unlikely in such numbers, the chimney has a rain cover cowling and we are not close enough to trees or other nesting sites, it's pretty much open around the chimney pot.

The queen may have been blown in, but I have roasted that log burner until it's almost red-hot which should have seen any bar-b-que'd fairly well by now, yet still a few come. I fired it up yesterday and I have 3 or 4 this morning wandering around the window. I had 50 + at a time before and god knows how many over the carpet. The carpet is clear now and I'd spotted a tiny hole in seal of the safety plate insert in the chimney where they were filing out. I blocked that and they found their way into the brickwork and squeezed out between the concrete grouting, through tiny tiny cracks - they must go flat before getting out it was so tight a squeeze.

If it is in the loft/attic, it could be a dead mouse perhaps ! Or could a bird have somehow got into there ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

That will remain a mystery CB as I am past my sell-by date for climbing over rafters to get up there and I cannot stand the fibres in my skin from that insulation padding. One day, if it is a rotting animal, the thing will be devoid of anything to be host to and will in time therefore be gone (RIP!) Hopefully it will not attract more!

I just need to find a way of ridding ourselves of these little mites sooner rather than later. If they are like bees they'll be gone soon enough once the winter Oct/Nov time arrives.

Are we no taking this a wee bit too far :p

It's a wee beastie :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

That will remain a mystery CB as I am past my sell-by date for climbing over rafters to get up there and I cannot stand the fibres in my skin from that insulation padding. One day, if it is a rotting animal, the thing will be devoid of anything to be host to and will in time therefore be gone (RIP!) Hopefully it will not attract more!

I just need to find a way of ridding ourselves of these little mites sooner rather than later. If they are like bees they'll be gone soon enough once the winter Oct/Nov time arrives.

Raid Flying insect spray or crawling insect sprays are excellent we had a similar infestation in an outhouse all gone in a couple of days never to return.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Raid Flying insect spray or crawling insect sprays are excellent we had a similar infestation in an outhouse all gone in a couple of days never to return.

Don't think that'll work Brig, this is a special wee fly :)

Don't think that'll work Brig, this is a special wee fly :)

Perhaps it is the "Wee" they are attracted to or is this taking the ****?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I think andrew1 will need to get up that attick and have a good rummage around, maybe take a big stick for self defence !!

I can spray the chimney brest, that's easy, I can poke the tin up the flue and spray up there, that's relatively easy but as I mentioned, these sprays are generally flamable and the last thing I need is a chimney fire right now. To spray in the loft is a slightly different chore as it is a large loft with the chimney way over in the far corner and there's not a hope in hell I am climbing over to see what's there. Flies or no flies.

I'll need a few 'fine hairs' myself if I went up there :madgrin:

if the attic is hard to spray get some bug bombs (ebay em)

i got 6 for £20, ment to work on fleas flys spiders and all, just put in a room and press the button down, leave the room for a couple of hours, its about 35sqm per tin so 2/3 should easly do an attic

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Now that sounds like a good idea labrat, thank you - I can blow the feckers to kingdom come! :lol:

tick tock bugs you have 5 minutes to leave! :boom:

:madgrin:

Dont give em any warning !! :lol:

BCOBS

just had a look on the bay

a "jumbo fumer" treats about 4000 cubic metres and is less than £30 however on looking closer is listed as "proffesional use only" however in my opinion thats the sort of warning that no-one listens to

a smaller home use one to treat 1000 cubic metres is under £15

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I think this is an infestation of the Bumole Flea celebrated by the great composer Ripya Corsetzof in his piece the Bite of the Bumole Flea.

Could be anything. Image not good. Nearest I could see it looks like is a fever fly ( not harmful as they sound).

If you can light a fire in the fire place, perhaps smoke them out.

Might be worth having an inspection done, just in case there is a building problem you are not aware of. Sometimes insects are attracted by damp.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I've found that burning either citrus or lavender scented candles keeps flies away. They hate them but might not be a good idea with all that insulation!!

Some other natural repellents here too.

http://www.maids.com/blog/5-home-friendly-ways-to-get-rid-of-houseflies/

Love the sound of the bug bomb though!!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.