• Tweets

• Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mistaken Parkingeye Charge **Won at POPLA**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I pay for my parking at a ParkingEye carpark which I park in every working day. The payment is made by me via my salary and was taken from me during the relevant month by my employer.

ParkingEye have sent me a £100 parking charge notice for one of the days I was there last month. I have appealed (and reminded them one week later since I hadn't had a response) and have had this rejected (together with a POPLA code) with the reason being given as, "no parking was purchased on the date of the parking event".

I know I've paid the monthly charge and have parked there every working day ever since without charge - and for about two years previously actually!

Soooo, I think I have a pretty solid case and also think I should be able to get some recompense for the hassle of the three letters and two replies I have had to compose to respond to their 'threats'. How should I go about this?

Clearly, a court would throw this out but I would like to make a rather costly point of how ParkingEye treat people who are in the complete right.

Any interesting ways of making this gradually expensive for ParkingEye would be welcome :)

All the costs are fairly 'set in stone' unfortunately. Despite the fact that PE will try to claim £ lots for solicitors costs should this ever get anywhere near a court, the general consensus of opinion is that they have their own 'in house' solicitors to "solicit" for them, so claiming solicitors costs on a court case would be, in actual fact, double charging. If that could be proven, PE would be in very hot water indeed!

It's already cost PE £27+VAT to issue you with a POPLA code, so you could just play along with that. You would win at POPLA on the grounds of GPEOL alone, then you've got your added defence of having already paid, from your salary, for parking.

This would however, limit their losses to £27.

If you really wanted to have some fun with them and cost them some real money, you'd have to wait and see if they took you to County Court. This would probably be issued through the Northampton BCC, and once you receive those papers, you can apply to have it transferred to your local county court. If they decided to press ahead with it, PE will then be landed with a listing fee, hearing fee and whatever travel costs and expenses they incur to get their 'team' to your local county court.

When they lose, you can also claim your expenses and any loss of earnings for having to take a day off work to attend.

You'd win either way, so its just a case of how badly you want to play them, and how much you want to cost them ;)

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

To be honest, the POPLA appeal would be the best route, to avoid all of the aggravation of having to go to court and deal with these people.

Appeal to POPLA stating you already paid, and you want to see a full breakdown of the £100, as well as the contract which allows them to claim parking charges on behalf of the land owner.

You will win it there.

Edited by honeybee13

To be honest, the POPLA appeal would be the best route, to avoid all of the aggravation of having to go to court and deal with these people.

Appeal to POPLA stating you already paid, and you want to see a full breakdown of the £100, as well as the contract which allows them to claim parking charges on behalf of the land owner.

You will win it there.

I agree, but not so much fun!

Edited by honeybee13

I wouldnt ask for the breakdown of their loss as it is completely irrelevant to your case as there has been no breach of contract by you.

Your appeal should just state clearly that you pay a monthly fee via your salary and that Parking Eye's claim is a systemic error and that their claim has no basis of fact to support it.

By appealing you cost PE the £27 POPLA fee and hopefully tech them a lesson. A complaint to the BPA should also be made, point out how you pay your monthy charge and that PE have been utterly idiotic in failing to accept your appeal to them as your claim is easily proven and that PE are either deliberately misrepresnting the facts or are incompetent and demond what the BPA are going to do about this as you dont want a repeat.

POPLA is the route to take I believe.

Appeal as ericsbrother has written above and include the proof that you pay monthly in the appeal.

Now obviously that should win at POPLA but you never know...

If it didn't then it is not binding on you and PE would spend money chasing you to pay up.

But this ultimately may lead to PE issuing court papers and leading you to put in some effort defending (costing PE money).

You would surely win any court hearing based on what you have told us and have cost PE hundreds...

But if you want a guaranteed win at POPLA then you have to include not a Genuine Pre Estimate Of Loss among other things in the appeal.

Thanks for all the valuable replies; very interesting.

I agree that POPLA is the route to take since taking it to County Court would be far too much inconvenience for the possible benefit. What evidence would I have to submit with my POPLA appeal? I only have my payslips which show a monthly amount being deducted for "Car Parking" since it's my employer that actually pays the bill to the hotel/Parking Eye. Obviously, I'll mention that I park there every working day and haven't received any parking charges before or since the date of the notice (21st July). In addition, many of my colleagues are provided the same parking facility and none that I know of have received a similar parking charge.

What would constitute a GPEOL?

Thanks in advance,

John

You only have to say you want a breakdown of the genuine pre estimate of loss that the charge must represent.

PE then have to show how they have arrived at the figure and how your parking has cost them this ' loss '.

Of course they can't.

PE will offer no evidence to POPLA when they see the words genuine pre estimate of loss.

Your employer must be able to provide some form of proof that you pay for parking surely?

( although that won't be looked at if you use gpeol. )

The evidence you need is a letter from your employer saying you pay the prescribed fee by way of salary deduction. As it is a PE screw up demand what proof that they have that your salary deduction covered every day for the last X months and the time up until the current date but not that particular day? They will not be able to answer as it is just a cock-up as said.

When you write to the BPA with your cmplaint about PE stupidity point out that your employer has had to waste time dealing with this matter and that their action is not only pig headed in the extreme but a breach of the contract they entered into with your employer and misrepresentation

Thank you to everyone for their advice. My appeal to POPLA is below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Following a parking charge notice received from Parking Eye for an event on 21st July 2014 and issued on 25th July 2014 I appealed via their website.

My appeal detailed the fact that my parking fees at the Park Inn Hotel were paid on a monthly basis via my employer (xxxxx xxx Ltd) who occupy land next to the hotel and provide this facility to many of their employees via their monthly salary. These charges have been paid via my salary since I began working for them in November 2012 and via my previous employer (xxxxxxx xxxxxxx Ltd) since August 2001. This facility allows me to park my registered vehicle at the Park Inn without charge at any time of day.

In fact I have parked my car almost every day since the start of my employment(s) to the present day without issue and I continue to do so. As such I find it very strange that they have issued a parking charge for parking on 21st July 2014 and not for any day before or since. I also find it doubly strange that they have decided to reject my original appeal.

I can understand an error in their sophisticated computer system which would issue an initial Parking Charge but I cannot understand a rejection of my appeal when further details were supplied. This would appear to be complete idiocy resulting in costs to both Parking Eye and myself rejecting the accusal. Clearly, their processes are lacking in governance and without compliance to the contract between Parking Eye and the Park Inn hotel. This lack of coherence will affect the relationship between Parking Eye and the Park Inn since I will be making a complaint to the hotel regarding this matter.

In addition, I will be informing my employer of the poor service received by Parking Eye via the Park Inn hotel and will bring this matter up with the British Parking Association and Shropshire Trading Standards.

A sensible reponse from Parking Eye would be interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also sent an anonymised payslip .jpg which showed my payment for parking.

I hope it does get interesting :)

Edited by Swirly
Added info about evidence to POPLA

Well that is half appeal half complaint as I read it.

I couldn't guess how the assessor would rule on that....

obviously you are in the right and will not be paying any money.

I suspect PE will offer no evidence.

POPLA can and do pass on concerns to the BPA and a complaint coming from them does carry some weight. Also, they may have seen other similar incidents so are in a better position than the average motorist to judge if an apparent fault is a one off or systematic.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

The position I've taken is to provide enough evidence to discredit PE but also to point out their failings. No matter which way the POPLA appeal goes I'll still have enough evidence to make a fool of PE which in turn will focus attention on PE and the way their systems are at fault.

Hopefully, this will make them reconsider their way of working (I doubt this) and by costing them money will take a look at themselves.

If PE take me to court I'll be making the most of it and will be publishing the full details to all media outlets.

I've informed my employer of their poor performance and they're completely behind me with this. Obviously, they'll be able to use this case as a way of negotiating a lower cost for parking in future!

• 1 month later...

OK...I've just received the evidence that PE have provided so it seems they they want to press ahead with the claim. Frankly, it's pretty weak; it consists of 32 pages of guff including 11 pages of pictures of signage, 7 pages of previous emails (ie, two of my emails saying I don't owe this - why does this take up seven pages?), etc.

Their compelling evidence seems to be 'Section G - Other Evidence' where they do a search for my car reg on their whitelist of cars that are permitted to park on the land - it come up with nothing hence why they are waving their hands. I have been legitimately parking there for several years using my employers agreement/payment with the hotel and still do to this day; since the start of this farce I have been parking every working day in their car park without a charge because I pay for it.

This sounds to me that PE are trying to use me as some sort of test; probably because they are watching this CAG thread.

I'm quite happy to take this to court since I will easily win but thought I'd let everyone know of the hassle that ParkingEye are creating me.

John

Surely it is just the case of having evidence of your company paying for the parking. If this is provided, then it is the end of the story.

Perhaps your employers did not make the payment and PE are using you as a way to deal with the situation.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

As your employers are behind you ,then they must have checked that payment was made surely ?

I cannot see what sought of ' test ' you would be either...

Do PE somehow think they will win at POPLA because you haven't mentioned GPEOL? ( correctly imo ). As said before, I can't guess which way the assessor will decide...

But if they took you to court then you would certainly win.

As your employers are behind you ,then they must have checked that payment was made surely ?

I cannot see what sought of ' test ' you would be either...

Perhaps the employers did not pay for all the parking provided and they are hoping that this gets reported back to them, with a resolution between employers and PE.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Your 'bundle' sounds identical to the one they sent me. In your reply, point out that their check of the 'whitelist' doesn't show the date they checked or the date they were checking for (if that makes sense!) and could have been done at any time, and was obviously not done before your invoice was issued - early on in the bundle should be a list of what date they did everything.

Also say that your vehicle not being on the whitelist check is only proof it wasn't there, it isn't proof that they hadn't made a mistake and not put it there when it should have been.

Finally, as you have proof that your company paid for the parking, they have suffered no loss anyway. I won on this point since PE hadn't even mentioned it in their bundle.

I'd be tempted to mention that their bundle seems entirely generic and doesn't address any of your specific points of appeal - they've already had a telling off from POPLA for doing that.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Just because PE are stupid they expect everyone else to believe that they are right. Well, this is how they make money but if your employer really wants to back you this can bite their backside a damned sight harder then they could possibly imagine. I'm not sure what the contract is worth overall but the loss of amenity damages will be at least a years charges and probably a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice that everyone has given me with my Parking Eye problem.

As expected, I've won my appeal to POPLA. I think the kicker for the evidence was the £6000+ invoice sent to my employer from the hotel for the rental of 38 parking spaces for the period covering my charge date. Obviously this had been paid and Parking Eye offered no defence against that.

So, the next step is for me to start making complaints about Parking Eye's behaviour to the various bodies. Clearly, a formal complaint to the hotel is in order as is one to the BPA and the local Trading Standards department. Are there any other suggestions of organisations that I should contact?

Also, I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what I should include in the complaints I make.

Thanks in advance.

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what I should include in the complaints I make.

Members of Parliament for both your 'home' constituency and that of the hotel.

DVLA, for supplying Keeper information applied for in pursuit of fraudulent gain.