Preloved - think i've been done over

Teddybear154
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As Title Suggests.

I found a 4ft marine tank advertised on preloved.

It was perfect just what I had been looking for.

I contacted the seller via email,

then we spoke several time on phone.

He seem a really nice guy.

He lived a little way away from so

I asked if I could arrange my own courier to collect tank.

He said that was not a problem.

He said he owned a hotel and asked if I could pay over phone as he had a card terminal at hotel.

I was not keep to give out my bank card details to a complete stranger over the phone.

we finally agreed to PayPal.

He sent me a invoice and I was a little concerned when received invoice

as PayPal account was in different name to what he had told me.

I phoned him to query it and he explained that he did not have a PayPal Account

and that it was his step brothers PayPal account.

He seemed genuine so stupidly sent payment.

I arranged and paid for courier to collect this Friday which he said was fine.

Then alarm bells started ringing in my head.

I asked him for more photos of tank

at first he said no problem

now he is refusing and saying he cant take more photos.

Also after saying he owned a hotel, he now says he is a full time student at home all the time.

He was un responsive yesterday not responding to my messages,

then used a excuse that he had been at work all day so could not respond to my messages.

Then very early this morning I received this message from him

" Paypal has just suspended my accout !!

for no reason !

i will be contacted them right now to get problem resolved !

you have probly been refunded . so you probly carnt buy tank till problem is solved

sorry not my fault nothing i can do till they pull there finger out"

Firstly he is contradicting him self by now saying it is his PayPal account.

I have checked my PayPal account and money has not been refunded

and it is not showing any problems.

I have sent a message back but so far no reply.

I am starting to get concerned some thing does not feel right.

Do you think I'm being [problem]med or am I just being paranoid.

As I paid by PayPal.

Can I file a claim with PayPal to get money back.

When sending payment via PayPal I did select paying for goods not the paying a friend option.

I paid £175 and don't really want too loose this much money.

Should I report this to some where as a [problem] and fraud and if so where.

I cant imagine police would be that interested.

Sorry this is so long

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

how did you pay paypal?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

chargeback!!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes my PayPal balance was zero when made payment with debit card. I would never let my PayPal balance get in to negative or any thing. When I check my PayPal account it shows payment went through fine. It is not showing any problem. Surely if PayPal were investigating payment would it not show a hold or some thing on my paypal account.

Thanks

I don't believe in spending money you don't have so would never have a credit card. Don't want to get in to debt.

A credit card is the safest way of making purchases in this day and age. Everybody should have one who wants maximum protection.

You don't have to spend more that you have and you wont get into debt if you are responsible.

I buy everything on a credit card and pay the balance off each month.

Just recieved this message from seller

Ok the account im using ..

. if you think your being [problem]med then dont buy the tank contact paypal for refund

.. i tryed to purchase things from ebay using new set up account

so maybe they might think some ones hacked it

i realy dont no they are asking for back account info and id etc..

I mostly concerned about the money in his account alot more than 175

so hopefully i can get resolved before he comes back from work

if not im screwed both ways by you and him .

so i carnt send tank out till this is resolved

sorry hope you understand that paypal should contact you

or will be refunded soon if not contact them .

. i will let you no by the night sorry again but it was out of my hands

i'd ask paypal what is going on by their online chat thingy.

i'd also consider doing a chargeback to Lloyds.

and they

Excellent do as DX suggests.

Yes my PayPal balance was zero when made payment with debit card. I would never let my PayPal balance get in to negative or any thing. When I check my PayPal account it shows payment went through fine. It is not showing any problem. Surely if PayPal were investigating payment would it not show a hold or some thing on my paypal account.

Thanks

I have just contacted PayPal and they are going to get back to me. I have also opened a dispute with PayPal that was automatically escalated to a claim by PayPal. It says PayPal are now reviewing it. I'll wait and see if not I'll contact bank.

I have opened a dispute with PayPal that was automatically escalated to a claim. It now say they are waiting for seller to provide additional information. They are giving the seller 12 days to respond and won't do any thing until seller has responded or 12 days has past. Its ridiculous to be made to Wait so long. If seller does not respond in 12 days which I doubt they will, I'll still have to wait for PayPal to review case.

Does any one know if seller has removed the money from there PayPal account already and there is no money for PayPal to reclaim will this mean Even if they decided in my favour that I won't get my money back.

I've had a lot of experience with PayPal and these kind of issues. If the seller doesn't provide proof that he sent anything, then after 12 days it pretty much automatically is decided in your favor. There isn't anything paypal need to do unless they provide some tracking info. If the seller has withdrawn the money from PayPal, that is up to paypal to recover, you will get a refund out of paypals pocket and they will attempt to reclaim from him. PayPal always protect the buyer and are pretty good at it.

I have just had a message from seller. They say they have tried to respond to claim but cant due to account being suspended.

Does any one know if this is true. Can you respond to a claim if account is suspended or not.

Or are they telling more lies

It's lies. They suspend activity, as in freeze the balances and stop any money transfer. They don't stop you from replying on the resolution system. They are stalling, and trying to make you cancel the dispute, which will make it much harder to get your money back if you do.

Just keep the dispute open and ignore all from the seller. If paypal don't refund. Then do a charge back

I definitely will not be closing dispute thats for sure. Just out of interest. If PayPal does not refund my money, would small claims court be another option to get money back.

If I have to do a charge back won't I get in to trouble with PayPal. I use PayPal a lot and don't particularly want to loose my PayPal account because of some stupid [EDIT].

Does any one think it would me worth reporting to Actionfraud.police.uk to get a police crime number or not. I have kept copies of all correspondence with seller.

I would report the matter to Action Fraud, it can do no harm. They lisy various frauds on their site, see if any match.

I definitely will not be closing dispute thats for sure. Just out of interest. If PayPal does not refund my money, would small claims court be another option to get money back.

If I have to do a charge back won't I get in to trouble with PayPal. I use PayPal a lot and don't particularly want to loose my PayPal account because of some stupid [problem]mer.

Does any one think it would me worth reporting to Actionfraud.police.uk to get a police crime number or not. I have kept copies of all correspondence with seller.

Thanks everyone for your replies. The seller still hasn't responded to claim. Still 9 days to wait. Really hoping PayPal will refund my money. The seller has now stopped responding to messages and phone numbers just rings. Have heard nothing in over 2 days. He also said he owned a hotel before & even gave me a link to hotel website. This link no longer works, website no longer exists.

I have reported it to Actionfraud.police.uk now and have a crime reference number.

Can any one tell me is there a time limit for contacting bank to do a charge back. I don't want to wait the full 12 days (9days left) for PayPal to see what they decide and then find I'm to late to contact bank re charge back.

Also I noticed last night that this guy has now listed another marine tank for sale. So I know he is still around some where. I am really concerned that he is trying again to [problem] some one else. I have contacted preloved to report him but have heard nothing back yet. Ad it still there. I'm guessing there is nothing else I can do to stop him.

• dx100uk changed the title to Preloved - think i've been done over