Money in a joint account, after relationship has ended. Other party withdrew remaining funds.

unhappy ex tennant
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Not sure if this is the best sub forum for this but here goes.

A relationship ended last year during July. The girlfriend and I had a joint account which had around £2500 in when we split up. Foolishly, I left that money there until a few months ago. I rang the bank to close the account and transfer the remaining funds. The bank informed me that the other name on the account had emptied it into her bank account in October.

The partner did not work due to disability and my wages were the only source of income, therefore I kind of feel a bit cheated. Especially as the funds were the remainder of a refurbishment venture's profit, so I will still have to pay tax on the £2500 as well as being without it.

I realise this may just be tough luck as it was a joint account, but is there anything I can do at all? What should have happened to remaining funds in the joint account? Split? Would it be a small claims case if I thought I had a case to argue?

• 1 month later...
Any idea anyone?

Hi, Difficult situation if only one signature was required to make withdrawals.

You might succeed in court if you have proof that the only money paid in to the accounts was your wages.

The problem is if your ex is on benefits and has no other income will they still have the money available to meet a judgement order?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi and sorry you've had no replies.

I suspect it probably is tough. With a joint account either party can withdraw the money.

You could try a small claim if you think you have a case but I have no idea if you have so I'll try and get comments on this.

If you do take your ex to court is she likely to be able to repay you? Bear in mind you will have fees to pay and if you win you may have to accept a few pounds a week or month, or use some kind of enforcement.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.