• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Spectrum Financial Protection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4482 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please HELP!!!!!!!!

Need some info in a company called Spectrum Financial services based in west yorkshire who deal with debt management.

My sister has just started using them to help and they have just charged £1500 (in three monthly installments) before they will release the debt management plan to her creditors is this allowed.

She is still getting nasty calls from the likes of LloydsTSB and Halifax regarding missed payments etc although spectrum has said that this normal but she is very worried and scared that spectrum and not as honest as they seem also there was a report on them and last Tuesdays BBC watchdog program

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try to get the money back, as i believe they are companies that dont charge for the service

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm with Spectrum and have been with them since Sept 2007. Yes they do charge ~£1500 in three monthly instalments before they begon sorting you out and they also charge £30 a month for sending your money to the various creditors and generally managing all the paperwork.

Is it worth it?

For for us. A resounding yes. I was £50,000 in debt. Yes the creditors do hassle you for a while and tell you that you got have got your finances sorted for free with the citizens advice bureau. It's true but as a long distance commuter with a full time job i just didn't have the time. Spectrum have been brilliant they have negiotiated managable payments with all of the companies invlved and now (after six months of them phoning me up with meaningless threats) I don't get any phonecalls any more. They have been so reassuaring everytime i have called them. And know just how to deal with the creditors and what i should say to them when they call.

conclusion:

So if you really can't handle the stress or haven't got the time to, then use their service. If you are super organised and have got the time, then do it via the citizens advice bureau for free.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Don't go near these numpties, they'll take your money under the guise of helping but when things get tough they cave.

e.g.

By using them you are admitting the debt. What ever you do, don't send court claims to them as they just admit the debt and you end up with CCJs & COs

They don't always pass on negotiated reductions to you they just leave it sitting in they're account earning interest

They fail to communicate at anything approaching reasonable business pace.

I'm firing them and reporting them to the FOS

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

There is no freemasonry like the freemasonry of Golf

• 9 months later...

has anyone noticed the amount of people in support of companys that have join time of under a month?

call me cynical but pepps999 and blackswan both have run time of under a month and peps has posted the exact same post on two threads both of them about spectrum

i do think i have a dont feed the troll notice somewhere...

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

has anyone noticed the amount of people in support of companys that have join time of under a month?

call me cynical but pepps999 and blackswan both have run time of under a month and peps has posted the exact same post on two threads both of them about spectrum

i do think i have a dont feed the troll notice somewhere...

SPECTRUM do not keep their promises, they do not keep you fully informed, their systems cannot keep up with the volume of calls they get from creditors, leading to creditor frustration and eventually CCJs, they don't tell you any bad news and hardly ever returm your calls if you leave messages because no one is picking up the ohone, apart from that their ok ------ NOT

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to get out of the contract with these complete wastes of space as they are just making our life worse and have now told us due to the current economic climate when they first came out and said they would be able to write off 70% of our debt have now told us it will be more like 50% and the figures they gave us are now miles away from what we needed to put away

Stop paying them, your not obligated to them they work for you. Just write and tell them they are fired.

Before you do that though, write to each of your creditors and post registered delivery, explain that you've fired Spectrum and that you're now taking control of the payment plan.

Request that they send you an account number, reference number and sort code so that you can set up standing orders to maintain your payments and that all correspondence regarding the payment plan should be sent to you.

Then complain to the FOS about SPECTRUM (PM I'll send you my complaint form)

• 3 weeks later...
spectrum put me in sh#t. f###ers, now i could lose ma home.

Complain to the FOS, OFT and your local trading standards

The problem we have is that they originally came out and the sales guy said you need to have a contingency plan you need to put this amount into a savings account with a particular interest rate and then by the end of the 5yr term you will have enough to pay the settlement figure, they have now said with 2 years left that we now need to raise twice as much as first disscussed and also that we are now not allowed a contingency plan and that, any spare money is to be paid to the creditors.

So when i asked how we were to pay the settlement in a couple of years that is going to be twice the original total they just said it was down to me to find the cash to pay it they were here just to arrange the settlement and sort payments to the creditors.

A complete waste of time and would never recommend these cowboys to anyone

The problem we have is that they originally came out and the sales guy said you need to have a contingency plan you need to put this amount into a savings account with a particular interest rate and then by the end of the 5yr term you will have enough to pay the settlement figure, they have now said with 2 years left that we now need to raise twice as much as first disscussed and also that we are now not allowed a contingency plan and that, any spare money is to be paid to the creditors.

So when i asked how we were to pay the settlement in a couple of years that is going to be twice the original total they just said it was down to me to find the cash to pay it they were here just to arrange the settlement and sort payments to the creditors.

A complete waste of time and would never recommend these cowboys to anyone

Check all your paperwork to see if you can prove they came up with the settlement figure. If you can't find it SAR Spectrum for all your data.

They said pretty much the same to me but I didn't put money aside as they said I needn't do that as at the end of 5 yrs they'd renegotiate a new schedule.

Write to all your creditors and inform them that you are displeased with the service you are receiving from SPECTRUM and would like to take control of your own agreement. Request standing order information (account number, sort code and payment reference)

Explain that this would save you their fee and allow you to potentially increase your payments to them.

Send Spectrum a Subject Access Request to get all your data, template on site

Fill in the income and expenditure spreadsheet, template on site, include the itemised payment schedule SPECTRUM agreed as part of your IVA this will help when your creditors agree to your resuming control

Keep paying SPECTRUM untill you get the majority of your creditors to agree. In the mean time complain about their service, send me your email and I'll send you some letters I sent to them plus the FOS complaint.

good luck

• 1 month later...

hi ..i was with spectrum ( til i also fired them) and also have similar thoughts to yourself.....howver i paid nearer 2,200 back in nov 05 plus 30 a month !!! i belive they mis sold me a plan when it was quite obvious i needed to go bankrupt...which i have now done.....i will be looking for legal recourse.....chris

• 1 month later...
hi ..i was with spectrum ( til i also fired them) and also have similar thoughts to yourself.....howver i paid nearer 2,200 back in nov 05 plus 30 a month !!! i belive they mis sold me a plan when it was quite obvious i needed to go bankrupt...which i have now done.....i will be looking for legal recourse.....chris

Spectrum told me mine was an iva and would be out of debt in 5 years which is a lie, think i need to go bankrupt do i get my deposit back they are useless... christina

• 4 weeks later...

Spectrum did the same to me. After getting REAL financial advice I was advised to declare myself bankrupt, which I did in 2006, no mortgage, no car, a coupla of CCJs, crap credit record, thanks to 1st credit, way to go Reigate!

Didn,t know I may have recourse to claim back my costs, these put me in a personal debt which I still pay back now. (Lovely lovely mum of mine, bless her little cottonies):)

• 2 months later...

I am a solicitor dealing with a claim against Spectrum for negligence. One of the allegations is that they advised him he was entering into an IVA when in fact it was an informal plan as well as the fact that he should have been advised to go bankrupt. I would be interested in hearing from anyone else with similar problems as you may be able to help in my case and, similarly we might be able to help you also claim back money from these guys.

• 1 month later...

I am currently in the process of making a formal complaint about Spectrum to my IVA people using their complaints procedure. I am not sure whether this is the correct process to follow so any advice would be appreciated. I firmly believe that I should have been advised by the Spectrum representive to consider alternative debt solutions such as debt management or bankruptcy. As it was, I was only advised of the IVA route. I paid 4 instalments of £290 (the amount they advised I would pay in the IVA) whilst the IVA was formally agreed. It was never fully explained to me that my income would be under so much scrutiny and there seems to be no limit to how much my contributions can increase. But I accept that I'm now in this arrangement.

I have been paying the IVA for 3 and half years and my contributions have increased to £430 which includes a payment towards supposed extra income that I have earned. What galls me is that part of of the IVA stipulates that a further payment of £1,000 is to be paid to Spectrum for their 'work' in setting up the IVA, this brings the total paid to them to aproximately £2,000. I don't believe I should be paying them anymore than the instalments I paid them prior to the IVA being secured, I also want to know were I stand about them misadvising me in the first place. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. (rant over).

Yes I would follow their formal process first. You can also make a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman if that doesn't get you anywhere. Your final option is to actually sue them. It depends on your exact circumstances but, basically, if you had no significant assets to protect (e.g. a house) and do not work in a profession who are affected by bankruptcy then bankruptcy may have been a better option. In such a case you would claim the excess monies you paid in the IVA over what you would have paid in bankruptcy back from them. PM if you want any further advice and I will let you have my phone number.

Thanks for the information Chris. I spoke to my IVA people yesterday about my intention to complain about Spectrum. They suggested I complain to the I.F.A(?), as companies such as Spectrum are governed by a different body than that of IP's.

My main complaint is misadvice, I've no doubt in my mind that I should have gone into a bankruptcy or at least been advised of it as I had no assetts to protect and my employment would not have been effected, even a debt management plan may have been more suitable on the basis that debt was not that great and I am currently paying at a rate wherby the total debt owed to my credtors (excluding interest) wil likely be paid within the five year IVA period, however, becasue nominee/supervisor fees are so high, a lot of my contributions are swallowed up by them.

I'm pretty sure that the IVA was advised to me by the representative of Spectrum for their and the IP's commercial gain. Again, it was definately hardsell as a guy who came round to my house and got to agree it on the same day, he made it sound like a win win situation, almost like buying a new car...

I'm aware of the Financial Ombudsman, they are currently looking at a PPI claim I have ongoing, again, another example of misselling on the basis that my dob does not require me take out that type of policy. Would they likely take on a case like this? Do you know whether Spectrum still exist in the same form as it did in 2006(i.e, has the name changed or anything). Suing them sounds quite interesting, however, I wouldn't have the funds available to take them to court. Thanks for your time.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I am currently with Spectrum and have been for 4 years I have never had any correspondance from them and none of my debt is getting cleared I am going to change to Payplan which I was advised to do so by Citizens Advice but has anyone got a number for them now as I cannot even find them on the internet

Cheers

Their contact number is 0844 567 4242. please let me know how you get on as i have been with them since Jan 08. Now i have been in touch with them quite a bit over the past as i have kept my details up to date. I will be getting in touch with them this week as the amount of worrying information on here and other websites is concerning me. Chris the solicitor, i believe i may be another contender for your legal recourse!!

Edited by sol047
updating information

Yes I would follow their formal process first. You can also make a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman if that doesn't get you anywhere. Your final option is to actually sue them. It depends on your exact circumstances but, basically, if you had no significant assets to protect (e.g. a house) and do not work in a profession who are affected by bankruptcy then bankruptcy may have been a better option. In such a case you would claim the excess monies you paid in the IVA over what you would have paid in bankruptcy back from them. PM if you want any further advice and I will let you have my phone number.

SPECTRUM are not regulated by the FOS or the FLA so who regulates these suckers

Their contact number is 0844 567 4242. please let me know how you get on as i have been with them since Jan 08. Now i have been in touch with them quite a bit over the past as i have kept my details up to date. I will be getting in touch with them this week as the amount of worrying information on here and other websites is concerning me. Chris the solicitor, i believe i may be another contender for your legal recourse!!

Just an update!!! I spoke to Spectrum customer services yesterday, ( i think there is only one person managing it) plz be patient as i had to wait for 20 mins.... 20 worrying minutes i might add!!! but spectrum still are in business however I think they are using it as a 'trading style' which doesnt have to be registered at companies house!! Apparently their new name is 'Money Village' i have done some digging into this new company. A few things dont add up so i will be speaking to them later on in the week and try to see where the proffessional relationship ties are!!!

I will keep you informed plus if you are in a very lucky position to pay off some of you debts i have some good advice. Small debts (under £1k) its worth going through spectrum to do your settlement but as there is a fee of 5% of the saving on completion, bigger balances are worth doing yourself. N ow you are supposed to tell Spectrum you are doing this but i dont think / Cant see how this would matter!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i'm also with Spectrum but want to end my dealing with them. Can anyone tell me how to do this - do i just cancel my standing order to them and write a letter? - what do i say in letter to them?

Ive spoke to my creditors and set up payments with them and will have my debts cleared alot quicker than if i stayed with Spectrum (paying them £30 a month for what?????)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4482 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks