• Tweets

• I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
    • Susan Crichton is at the Inquiry today. She seems to have trouble remembering a lot of things but seems to find it easier if it's something that shows her in a good light.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

dfs *****Resolved*****

sherlock18
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone give me some advice. My mother who is 83 and suffers from dementia bought a sofa and chair costing two thousand pounds. She has paid for it in full using her debit card. The sofa and chair are too big for her flat and she will be physically unable to lift herself up when sitting in it. I have asked dfs to cancel the order but they say my mother has signed an legally binding agreement. Is there anything I can do

Please will you tell us more about the circumstances in which the contract was made.

Did she visit a shop? Was it made at home? Was she visited by a salesman? How long ago was a contract made? How long after the suite was delivered did you contact the seller?

My mother went to dfs store in liverpool friday 1st august and placed an order. As far as I can tell she paid a deposit but as she is confused I am not sure. She went back to the store on saturday 2nd august and paid the full amount by her bank debit card. I have the receipt for £2678. I tried to cancel it on the saturday morning before my mum returned to the store but I was told by dfs it was a legally binding sale. Yesterday I rang dfs again and when I eventually spoke to them I was informed that the order had been sent to the manufacturer and it was not possible to cancel the sale because if they did dfs would be left with a 3 seater sofa and a chair they were unable to sell because their furniture is made to an individuals specifications. However they did offer me the opportunity to come to the store and choose another sofa and chair. When I pointed out to them that this would still leave them with a set of furniture they could not sell what was the diffence between thier offer and just refunding the money to my mum dfs did not reply. My mum already has furniture that is less than two years old so does not even need a new suite and because she believes that dfs sold her extras she did not agree to such as cushions and stain cover although because she is confused I cannot be sure of this she does not want to speak to them. I hope this clarifies the situation for you

Thank you.

How obvious is it that your mother is confused or not fully in command of her situation?

Why was she allowed to go on and pay the outstanding balance even though you were trying to cancel.

You had notified them of the cancellation. What happened that she was then permitted to go on and pay the outstanding balance?

Thank you for your prompt reply. If you were to speak to my mum it would be very quickly become obvious she was confused certainly less than the length of time it would take to sell her furniture. When I had rang up on the saturday morning I only spoke to the receptionist who told me the contract was legally binding I then rang dfs complaints dept I was told they could not deal with my complaint because it was not in my name so I needed my mum to gave her permission for me to speak on her behalf. I rang my mum and said that I would come to her home on monday and ring them up while she was with me. In the meantine mum decided to go to the store and pay for the furniture.

I'm afraid that you are going to have a difficult time of it. The only basis I can see for avoiding the contract is to say that your mother did not have the mental capacity to contract.

From what you say it may well be that she was already being diagnosed with dementia and therefore it would be easy enough to get a doctor to give a statement that she lacked the mental capacity. However, mental incapacity must be obvious also to the contracting partner. You say that it was obvious – but they may say that it was not. Also, it does seem strange that she knew that she had entered into a commitment to the extent that she remembered and understood that she was required to return to the store and to pay the outstanding balance. Even if you had a doctor who was prepared to say that she lacked the capacity to contract, the fact that she returned to pay could easily be interpreted to be sufficient to allay any fears on the part of a contracting partner that she might not have the requisite mental capacity.

I'm really not quite sure what to suggest – except to examine the suite very carefully when it arrives and to latch onto any defects as a basis for rejecting the contract. Also, if there are any delays in delivery, this could also form a basis for rejecting the contract – if you inform them in advance that the promised time of delivery is essential. However, I think that whatever you do, you are going to have a battle.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you write a very decent and full expansion letter to their CEO and also involve your member of Parliament. It may be that these combined pressures – plus a medical certificate could be enough to sway them. It's a shame that such a large company has to be such hard-nosed with its customers and is unable to show a human side.

On a side note, it could be a good time to think about taking control of your mother's cards and other payment instruments.

Thank you for your advice. My mother has been assessed as having capacity but she is on medication for her dementia. She does not want the suite and is prepared to lose the two thousand pounds. Dfs should have realised that she was confused because although she was originally charged 2768 pounds but the total price should have only been 2000. Dfs have reinbursed her the difference blaming computer error for the overcharge. If you or I would have looked at the invoice we wiuld have spotted that immediately. Like you say it is a pity that dfs could not show a little understanding and agree to waver the legally binding contract. I do normally manage her cards but as she has been deemed to have capacity the bank will not give me full advocacy of her money.

I am very interested in this latest information. Could you please tell me a little bit more about exactly what has happened. We seem to be getting the story by drip feed.

Please could you lay out a chronology. I am wondering whether the pricing error you have referred to might help us to avoid the contract.

Also, I have started looking at the recent Consumer Contract Regulations – which to my shame I am not at all familiar with.

I do see that they impose some "on-premises" conditions for consumer contracts.

Please have a look at this link https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/310044/bis-13-1368-consumer-contracts-information-cancellation-and-additional-payments-regulations-guidance.pdf

And also http://www.businesscompanion.info/quick-guides/on-premises-sales/selling-on-business-premises-from-13-june-2014

Maybe we can go through and analyse very carefully what the new requirements are and see if we can spot anything that has been missed out by DFS which will give us an opportunity to challenge them.

I think that we need to work quickly before we have to deal with the problem of the suite being delivered.

I have spoken to my mother today to try and get some clarification about the chronology of this and she is unable to clarify the timeline. She says she cannot remember how events unfolded and she now says she wants the suite! This is a symptom of her dementia. I have looked at the two links you gave me but I am afraid I do not understand them so I would be grateful for any advice

• The Regulations extend the list of pre-contract information that a trader must give to a consumer and there are certain changes to the form in which the information needs to be provided.
  • Before the consumer commits to the contract the trader must provide certain information in a clear and comprehensible manner about the trader, the goods, the price, any other applicable charges, the terms of the contract, and the cancellation right.
  • The trader must also confirm this information on a “durable medium”, unless it was already provided on a “durable medium” before the contract was made. This confirmation must be provided within a reasonable time but by no later than delivery of the goods, or commencement of provision of services.
  • The Regulations make it clear that a “durable medium” can include email and text messages as well as paper. However, a website link is not a durable medium as the content can change.

Okay, I am interested in two aspects.

Firstly whether the pre-non-premises contract requirements have been fulfilled. If we can find that something is missing there then maybe it will allow you to escape the contract.

I still haven't had an opportunity to read through it all. However, you need to go through the on-premises pre-contract requirements. Make a list of them and then go through them and decide whether each one has been satisfied.

Do it in a spreadsheet and then give each one either a yes, a no, or don't know. Then we will see what you have.

Have a look at the terms and conditions on the back of the receipts that she received and see if these comply with the new regulations. I suppose that they probably will – but you never know, lots of these retailers are very slack.

Secondly, I am interested in the train of events regarding the overcharging and then the refund. You say that she is unable to recall what has happened – but this doesn't make sense to me because you took charge of it and you must know because you noticed the overcharging and at what point you contacted them and at what point they then agreed to make the refund. Because you had a hand in this, you must be aware of the timeline. Please explain to us here.

I'll tell you why it is interesting to me.

Your mother entered into an on-premises contract. They initially overcharged her. Then they went on to make the correct charge. Did all of this happen on the telephone? Is there a possibility that by their error they have turned an on-premises contract into an off-premises contract? If we could find a way of arguing that, then a whole new set of rules comes into play and in fact your attempt to cancel the contract becomes a valid attempt and their refusal to accept the cancellation becomes unlawful. In fact, it may be that you retain the right to cancel the contract until 14 days after delivery of the suite – although I am not certain if there are special rules for items which are made to measure.

So please could you deal with this and tell us what has happened.

If there isn't a moral case I'd turn up outside their shop with a clipboard and a survey asking their customers walking in if they believe what has happened is fair and reasonable under the circumstances.

I'd think they'd soon resolve the issue, as long as you are on public property. (ignore me its just my frustrated idea).

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

• 2 months later...

You will be pleased to hear that my mum received a full refund. I just noticed when looking at her bank statements she had received a credit from DFS for the full amount. I dont know why because no one from the company bothered to contact me I just assume it was because I kept on ringing them about it and that they realised that the whole situation reflected badly on them.