• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Xercise4less/Harlands/CRS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. Hope someone can help me. I did an online application in November 2013 for a 12 month contract at £9.99 per month. They sent me an email with a link which I haven't used. I cancelled my DD after 4 payments because I had never put a foot in the door. I have been receiving letters from Harlands on a regular basis and now I have received a letter from CRS claiming they have been employed by Xercise4 for less and I owe them £186.43 (including £66.50 in fees). Today I went to the gym to try and sort it out but they said it was out of their hands now because CRS had taken on the 'debt'. They also said if I had contacted the gym before receiving these letters they could have done something about my cancellation :-/.

I did offer to pay £60.00 to cancel my membership but they said the least they could accept was £96.50. Ithought as I have already paid 4 x £9.99 the offer of £60.00 would mean I had paid for my year's membership. Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

Theyre wrong. DCA cant touch you. Neither can harlands. Although you did agree to stick to a 12 month contract with the gym.

You do NOT have to pay any of their silly charges. Write and tell them something along the lines of you are willing to pay what remains of the contract, but you will not be paying their charges. Tell them they have 14 days to agree, or you wont pay them anything.

One other bit of advice, ignore the DCA. Completely.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Pargaluvva and welcome to CAG

I did an online application in November 2013 for a 12 month contract at £9.99 per month. They sent me an email with a link which I haven't used.

If you set up the m/ship and paid for it for 4 months, I'm not sure what relevance the email and link would have. Can you tell us anything about the email and link that affects your case.

I doubt that the gym would have helped you cancel even if you'd contacted them earlier.

You are committed to the m/ship agreement for the full 12 months. The only means of cancelling early are if you are made redundant, move away from the gym or cannot use the gym due to injury or illness. In any of these cases, Harlands would require evidence.

As Renegade says above, we do not advise paying any admin penalty fees added by Harlands or CRS, who just happen to operate from the same office !!

I think you have 2 options :-

1. If you want to use the gym for the remaining 4 months, you'll have to pay the missed 4 months fees. But you need to tell Harlands that you'll only pay the missed and future fees if they agree to waive all admin penalty fees.

2. Tell Harlands that you dispute their admin penalty fees and they will not be paid. Furthermore, you consider the imposition of unlawful penalty fees to be a breach on their part and you therefore consider the agreement to be terminated. If they agree to waive the penalty fees, you will pay the fees for April to July to end the matter. If they are unwilling to accept this offer, then you will pay them nothing.

In either case, confirm to Harlands that you have never set foot inside the gym. Contact them in writing only - no phone calls. Read other threads here for examples of how others have dealt with Harlands.

Unless I've missed something, you are at a disadvantage because of the way you cancelled with no reason.

Let us know what happens.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for your replies. I know I'm probably at a disadvantage for just cancelling the DD. I did offer to pay the gym £60.00 to get out of the contract but they are saying it's out of their hands and I need to pay £90 odd pounds because the debt has been taken over by CRS. Should I send a letter offering to pay this and hope they leave me alone. It has cost me £150 for foolishly signing up on line :(

Hi Pargaluvva,

I think you are past the stage of being able to get the gym to help. You will have to deal with Harlands.

I suggest you write to Harlands as per Option 2 above. If they continue to insist their penalty fees are payable, you can use the breach of agreement argument to cancel the remaining time of the agreement.

Doorstep callers will not happen, nor will they put any adverse markers on your CRA records.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote to CRS on the 14th August as follows:

Thank you for your letter dated 29 July 2014.

Since joining, I had never set foot in the gym so I cancelled my DD mandate after making 4 payments of £9.99 and I thought this was adequate notice of my cancellation.

I dispute your admin fees; these are unlawful and cannot be enforced by your company. Furthermore, the imposition of unlawful penalty fees is a breach on your part and I consider the agreement terminated.

I am willing to pay £9.99 for the months of May, June and July (£29.97) to cover the period I have been in dispute with

Xercise 4 Less/Harlands/yourselves in full and final settlement.

Please advise if you are willing to accept this offer. If this offer is not accepted, then I will pay you nothing.

I have now received a letter saying they believe I am in breach of a legally binding contract because I have not paid my membership or their fees. They may purse a claim under this this contract through the Courts.

The letter goes on and on about CCJ and also outsourcing the debt to an external agent.

I'm not sure that they received my letter of the 14th before there's was sent out on the 18th. Should I ring them?

"Should I ring them?" No !! Never speak to them on the phone - you'll hear nothing of any use to you at all.

Was this letter from Harlands or CRS ?

Their letter contains nothing unusual, threatening court action and/or DCA's. But they usually do not use the courts.

Wait a week or two. They will by then either reply specifically to your letter of 14th August, or make some further demand for payment. Then we can take it from there.

Thank you slick. When I first read their letter I was worried but after reading it again I think they hope they will scare people into paying their fees with regard to legal action and outsourcing the debt to an external agent. Hope I'm right. Going on holiday next week and my dad will be at our house; don't want anyone knocking on the door.

They use all kinds of threats, but its just words.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Ok, like I said, wait a week or two and see if they write to you again.

I'm subscribing to this thread as going through the same thing at the moment, cancelled DD because I didn't recognise Harlands, next minute they were trying to penalise me!

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

Hi Jhaw,

Please feel free to start your own Gym thread and give us details of your dispute.

• 1 month later...

Didn't: hear from them for a few weeks then received 2 letters; one quite threatening the other not so. I ignored them then about 10 days ago got a phone call saying I owed £186 and they would be taking it further if I did not pay. Challenged them and said their fees were not enforceable. Said if I paid £100 the case against against me would be closed. Should I pay; only got a few days til the deadline

. Thank you. 0 on'

Hi Pargaluvva,

No, you should not pay them. They are just chancing their luck.

If they wanted to discuss or argue properly about you owing fees or penalties, they should have replied accordingly, in writing, to your letter in August.

Do not discuss this by phone with them at all. If they call you, tell them to put anything they want to say in writing. Or simply don't answer calls from numbers you don't recognise.

Do not contact them further but let us know if they write to you again. Do not even bother calling them to say you will not be paying. There is no need as they have no power or authority.

Hi Par,

I hope you told them NOT to call you at all. They may be tempted to call you when you're NOT at work.

If they do, just tell them to keep it in writing only.

Hi Par,

Haha !!

"When would be convenient to call you back?"

"Never, so put it in writing. All calls will be logged and recorded for evidence of harassment. Goodbye !" ........ CLUNK

;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Slick. CRS haven't sent me a letter for a while but had a few phone calls.

Today, I received a letter from CRS

"We regret that despite our attempts to reach an amicable resolution to your account, you remain in arrears to Xercise 4 Less.

"We must therefore give notice that failing to reply to this letter within the next

10 days will result in your account balance being passed to Zinc Group Ltd,

one the UK's leading providers of debt recovery solutions.

We are still happy to listen to your reasons for not paying and will do whatever we can to reach an acceptable resolution for both parties. All that is required is for youn to call us on 01444 449 165 by no later than 27th November 2014 so we can discuss your account further"

What shall I do? :|

Hi Par,

No need to respond to this at all, because they have still not replied properly to your letter in August.

Next, you'll hear from Zinc and, when you do, let us know,

In the meantime, read through this thread which shows plenty of threats but no serious action - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?424491-Harlands-and-Xercise-4-Less&p=4534355&viewfull=1#post4534355

Hi Par,

No need to respond to this at all, because they have still not replied properly to your letter in August.

Next, you'll hear from Zinc and, when you do, let us know,

In the meantime, read through this thread which shows plenty of threats but no serious action - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?424491-Harlands-and-Xercise-4-Less&p=4534355&viewfull=1#post4534355

Thanks Slick. Worried because I just cancelled my DD without giving them notice