• Tweets

• Our price is the same all day, but varies day to day. Yes there's a risk of high prices but it has never gone above SVR any time since I signed up. Last 30 days average 17.67p/kWh, max 20.67 and lowest was 11.83.  It saved just under £300 during 2023.  
    • It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

George Orwell's 'Big Brother' society could be on its way!!! Will bailiffs be granted access to ALL our private data?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

BIG BROTHER is a fictional character in George Orwell's novel: Nineteen Eighty-Four and in the society that Orwell describes, every citizen is under constant surveillance by the authorities and everyone is reminded of this by the phrase:

'BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU'

Yesterday a surprise press announcement was made concerning radical proposals to link thousands of government databases with the aim of permitting access to sharing of this information by 'all bodies providing public services'.

It is generally assumed that such a 'body' (allowed access) would include bailiffs/enforcement agents pursuing government debts.

The 'databases' (of which there are thousands) will include the following:

The Passport Office,

Land Registry (regarding property purchases and sales)

School and University records (to check qualifications)

Local Authorities (to check council tax records)

HM Courts (to check details of criminal records/fines)

Energy companies (to check gas and electricity usage)

Driving Licence and DVLA records (to check endorsements and vehicle ownership)

The 'proposals' have been drawn up by Francis Maude MP and will be contained in a White Paper in the Autumn and may feature in draft legislation for introduction after the 2015 election.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...vate-data.html

Edited by tomtubby
Weblink not working (thank you Mr.P)

There is also expected to be another measure put in place for new born babies to have chips fitted under their skins similar to the ones vets use for cats and dogs. Then when they want to apply for a passport etc, they are scanned so the authorities know it is the same person.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You will note from the above link that it is understood that Ministers are 'split' as to when the public should be consulted.

A far simpler solution surely would be for every UK citizen to have a 'chip' inserted into their neck ( just like with dogs and cats) !!!

PS: I am of course joking.....

You will note from the above link that it is understood that Ministers are 'split' as to when the public should be consulted.

A far simpler solution surely would be for every UK citizen to have a 'chip' inserted into their neck ( just like with dogs and cats) !!!

UB....You must have been reading my mind as I was typing !!! Great minds must think alike.

I think this is a very bad idea, data and mistakes regarding personal data will have the propensity to be un resolvable as the wrong data will be shared in so many different places it will be nigh on impossible to separate the John Smith in debt from the innocent Marstons chase after a faulty trace leads them to the wrong street.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

UB....You must have been reading my mind as I was typing !!! Great minds must think alike.

And you thought I was making it up !:madgrin:

The strange thing is that Tories and Lib Dems were dead against authoritarian measurers such as ID cards.

Once you go down the route of connecting databases up, you start to harvest as much information as you can. Where do you draw the line as to what data is available, who can upload/amend/delete data, who can access it etc.

I got a letter from my local council (Rotherham) yesterday. Instead of just having the Electoral Register, it is now also creating another one called the Open Register.

This is the describing paragraph:

"The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person,company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote".

Ive already requested NOT to be included in this latest money making ploy unless I receive commission for the use of my details.

Notice though how, as usual, its made as sugary as possible - "used by businesses and charities" - no mention of the DCAs and hoardes of other unscrupulous characters that will be using the latest tracing tool. No thanks Mr Councillor, I have a deep distrust of anyone in authority and quite rightly so!

I see Maude the Fraud, as he is known, has his grubby mitts all over it. The Tories have to get themselves re-elected and, to be honest, they might as well sign on for JSA now. A lot of them are admitting, privately, and resigning themselves to the prospect they won't get re-elected. In a nutshell, they are finished. And they know it. It is more likely there will be a hung parliament with no group having enough seats to form a coalition. It is not unlikely there will be another election shortly afterwards with independents and the smaller parties pushing the main three parties out to the periphery and marginalising them. There are rumblings in the jungle in certain circles that could bring the world crashing down around the ears of Dodgy Dave and his Degenerate Desperados. An election later this year cannot and should not be ruled out.

I see Maude the Fraud, as he is known, has his grubby mitts all over it. The Tories have to get themselves re-elected and, to be honest, they might as well sign on for JSA now. A lot of them are admitting, privately, and resigning themselves to the prospect they won't get re-elected. In a nutshell, they are finished. And they know it. It is more likely there will be a hung parliament with no group having enough seats to form a coalition. It is not unlikely there will be another election shortly afterwards with independents and the smaller parties pushing the main three parties out to the periphery and marginalising them. There are rumblings in the jungle in certain circles that could bring the world crashing down around the ears of Dodgy Dave and his Degenerate Desperados. An election later this year cannot and should not be ruled out.

Because of the fixed parliament act, it is very difficult for an early election to be called, unless Cameron calls it. Even if the Lib Dems jumped ship, unless Tory backbenchers voted in favour of a no confidence division, there would not be an election. I believe that the fixed parliament act requires two thirds to vote for no confidence in the government and not just a majority of 1. It was a dodgy deal between Tories and Lib Dems to ensure that there was a 5 year period of government.

Because of the fixed parliament act, it is very difficult for an early election to be called, unless Cameron calls it. Even if the Lib Dems jumped ship, unless Tory backbenchers voted in favour of a no confidence division, there would not be an election. I believe that the fixed parliament act requires two thirds to vote for no confidence in the government and not just a majority of 1. It was a dodgy deal between Tories and Lib Dems to ensure that there was a 5 year period of government.

I imagine any attemp to join up databases will be a total farce! So much so its not much of a threat to be taken seriously at the moment.

I worked (and supervised) for a Council data entry team inputting asbestos reports.

The city under new rules had its social housing split up into 4 arms length management orgs. For 1 of those almo's the data regarding their asbestos surveys had to be inputted in a different way and on a different system to the other three. That is one part of a local authority! It would be a nightmare to try and link up.

A phonecall to a particular org for their info on an individual is the obvious solution. Except All these government appendages are extremely unlikely to do it for free, and if they are going to charge private commercial entitys you can bet it will be at a profit on top of costs! And I bet it won't be cheap, look how much they claim FOI requests cost them in time and resources.

And given many Bailiff companies have had their DVLA access revoked I can see many depts refusing bailiffs point blank.

Certain depts, allowing private commercial access could potentially break stuff like anti terror laws.

Chipping kids however, I can see the likes of the Police lobbying hard for it. It would be easy to set up devices in streets in tube stations etc that act like ANPR but for human beings. And it won't just be kids you can bet!

The voice of logic will say well, why not convicted prisoners on release from prison? Then it will be everyone suspected of a crime whilst on baill but not removed if proven innocent.

Civil Servent? Well it will make tracking during fires etc and for restricting access...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As much as I would like to agree with you, UB, there is nothing to stop any MP tabling a motion of No Confidence in the Prime Minster and/or Deputy Prime Minster which, if passed by a majority would throw the Tories and LibDems into crisis. Whilst they are reeling from that, you slam in a further vote of No Confidence in The Government.

In policing circles, there is something called the Ways and Means Act. It isn't an actual piece of legislation, but a principle that if you can't deal with something one way, you can deal with it another way, or as an instructor at Hendon Police College once said during my foundation training, "Confucius he say ' There is more than one way of skinning honourable moggy."

That is exactly what the one-world government nutters want to do, TT. I am attaching a document that will explain a lot of things.

Not to mention Captain Cyborg Professor Kevin Warwick who was one of the first to want to chip children, especilly initially rich kids at risk of kidnap and ransom

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/10/world_to_captain_cyborg_youre_rumbled/

The loonies are definitely in charge of the asylum.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Not to mention Captain Cretin Professor Kevin Warwick who was one of the first to want to chip children, especilly initially rich kids at risk of kidnap and ransom

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/10/world_to_captain_cyborg_youre_rumbled/

The loonies are definitely in charge of the asylum.

IFYPFY :becky:

IFYPFY :becky:

a

LOL both cretinous and dangerous in his case. Mind you shouldn't bailiffs be chipped so that they can be positively identified? Only joking

I got a letter from my local council (Rotherham) yesterday. Instead of just having the Electoral Register, it is now also creating another one called the Open Register.

This is the describing paragraph:

"The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person,company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote".

Ive already requested NOT to be included in this latest money making ploy unless I receive commission for the use of my details.

Notice though how, as usual, its made as sugary as possible - "used by businesses and charities" - no mention of the DCAs and hoardes of other unscrupulous characters that will be using the latest tracing tool. No thanks Mr Councillor, I have a deep distrust of anyone in authority and quite rightly so!

These letters are very confusing and I have just emailed BBC for clarification.

In the 3rd paragraph of the letters we have been sent you state..

“Your details are not on the Open Register” – you then continue to advise that if we wish to be added to the Open Register, we need to telephone you.

In the 3rd sentence of the 6th paragraph headed “The open register” - you say

“Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed”

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52621[/ATTACH]

Edited by citizenB

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

And given many Bailiff companies have had their DVLA access revoked I can see many depts refusing bailiffs point blank.

Private bailiffs still have their DVLA access (because they pay for it?) Its the local authorities, police and other public bodies that lost access.

Anyway, I'm a lone voice because I like the idea of ID cards and joined up data. As ex police I was always frustrated by the way big criminals used the law to beat the system. And all the time we have shady politicians looking over their shoulders it will never change. Look how easy it is to use company law to rip people off....time for a lie down!

Hi Bazm,

Like yourself, I, too, am ex-police. One thing I have come to realise is that until the City of London Police is disbanded, the criminal cabal in the City of London and their puppets in Westminster will continue to get away with it. Evicting the Remembrancer of the City of London from the Palace of Westminster and dissolving the Corporation of London, in addition to disbanding CoLP, are essential steps to putting a stop to a lot of the criminality that is current going on. I do know that fraud is being committed against people right across the UK and in all social groupings on an industrial scale.

These letters are very confusing and I have just emailed BBC for clarification.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52621[/ATTACH]

I've just sent an email to the ERO of my local authority requesting my details be removed from the Open Register, CB. It looks like it is on "opt out" from the Open Register.

UPDATE: Just received an email from the ERO at my local authority to confirm they will be removing my details from the Open Register. There should be an email address on the letter. Make sure you send them the following information as per the example below -

Joseph M Bloggs

12 Any Street

Anytown

AT1 2AT

As the meerkat on the tv advert says, "Simples."

old bill,

I have received an email response .. I must admit, I was impressed with the speed of reply.

Dear citizenB and hubby,

Thank you for your e-mail, unfortunately the wording of the letter is confusing, but it has been prescribed in regulations and we are unable to change it. However, I can confirm that your names are not included in the open register.

Democratic Services Manager

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I was opted out before and the letter I have had confirms this will continue. It asks me to notify them, if at any time I want to opt back in. ( as if I would)

Wouldn't it be a good idea for councils to be under a statutory duty to inform people whenever their data is accessed, for what purpose, who, when, if it is sold to whom and for what purpose etc. It won't happen, but if it did and there were penalties for non compliance, they would be much more careful with peoples data.

Bazm - pretty sure I read on this very forum that some private bailiff firms had their dvla access revoked for misuse.

Also I am puzzled as to how I'd cards would stop crime being comitted. The united states jas I'd cards and yet also has more crime than us!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Where I am an ex pat I have to carry an ID card. This card is invaluable for ID purposes and there is no forging. All the following details are on a centralised computer and when the card is swiped by Immigration it connects to the centralised computer and downloads all the details.

Name, Address, Country of Birth, Date of Birth, Date entered Country, Visa Type and Validity, Height, Weight, Ethnic Origin, Hair Colour, Eye Colour, Blood group. As well as this information it also hold a digital eye scan, Fingerprints

So how anyone can forge digital eye scans and fingerprints that come from a centralised unit would need to be an IT genius. So I do believe that ID cards are well worth thiewr weight in gold.