APCOA running NHS car parks- should I complain or ignore parking charge notice?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3550 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took my disabled dad for a long procedure last week at Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow (Greater London). I parked at what I thought was a disabled parking space, displayed the blue badge properly as required. When my dad finished his procedure and we got back to the car around 4 hours later (still within time limit imposed), to my horror I saw a parking charge notice stuck on the windscreen wiper. I was astonished and dad was very upset. The guy parked next to me told me he was here yesterday and saw another car given a parking charge notice- apparently he said where I parked was meant to be the exit!

I have uploaded an image on Youtube to show where I parked that day. Since I am relatively new to this website I am not allowed to post a link but if you go to Youtube and type in ''NHS hospital car park run by APCOA'' you will see the image I took.

It shows the space has a ''disabled'' sign on it and I didn't see anything else obvious to me that it was the exit. Coincidentally when I was waiting for my dad in the hospital that day I read an article from Daily mail newspaper. It can be seen online if you search for ''Daily mail, Parking cowboys hit cancer victims: Now scandal of 'disgraceful' fines spreads to NHS hospitals''.

If APCOA really want patients to know it was an exit, surely they could have cleaned up the disabled sign and repaint clearly something like ''Exit only, no parking'' on the ground?

My key question is : Should I complain to the NHS or should I just ignore it?

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.

I took my disabled dad for a long procedure last week at Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow (Greater London). I parked at what I thought was a disabled parking space, displayed the blue badge properly as required. When my dad finished his procedure and we got back to the car around 4 hours later (still within time limit imposed), to my horror I saw a parking charge notice stuck on the windscreen wiper. I was astonished and dad was very upset. The guy parked next to me told me he was here yesterday and saw another car given a parking charge notice- apparently he said where I parked was meant to be the exit!

I have uploaded an image on Youtube to show where I parked that day. Since I am relatively new to this website I am not allowed to post a link but if you go to Youtube and type in ''NHS hospital car park run by APCOA'' you will see the image I took.

It shows the space has a ''disabled'' sign on it and I didn't see anything else obvious to me that it was the exit. Coincidentally when I was waiting for my dad in the hospital that day I read an article from Daily mail newspaper. It can be seen online if you search for ''Daily mail, Parking cowboys hit cancer victims: Now scandal of 'disgraceful' fines spreads to NHS hospitals''.

If APCOA really want patients to know it was an exit, surely they could have cleaned up the disabled sign and repaint clearly something like ''Exit only, no parking'' on the ground?

My key question is : Should I complain to the NHS or should I just ignore it?

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.

I take it there is another exit or after four hours the queue must have been tremendous!

As this was a windscreen ticket, wait until they send a Notice To Keeper in the post. This should be received between 29-56 days from the parking event.

You are not ignoring it though.

Car parking charges

Northwick Park Hospital

1 hour

£2.40

2 hours

£4.60

5 hours

£6.00

8 hours

£9.20

24 hours

£12.00

5 day pass

£22.00

7 day pass

£28.00

Penalty notice

£30.00

http://www.nwlh.nhs.uk/patients-visitors/northwick-park-and-st-marks-hospitals/

How much are APOCA asking you for?

And what is the ticket called?

Thanks for everyone's reply. Armadillo71, thanks so much for the input. I didn't think of that. In fact it was nearly 5 hours for my dad's procedure to complete and I had to use the wheelchair to take him back to the car. That particular parking area is a designated disabled parking area for over 10 cars or so. I would think someone must have left the car park during the time we were there and they would have left where I drove into the parking area (where I also thought was the exit). As for the ''Parking Charge Notice'', APCOA want £30 within 14 days, and £60 within 28 days and thereafter debt collection / admin costs on top etc.

You wait for the Notice To Keeper in the post.

This must be received between 29-56 days of the windscreen ticket.

This is what you will appeal.

( you are the registered keeper? )

Hi Armadillo71, In that case I will wait until the Notice to Keeper comes through then. Is there any point for me to write to the NHS Chief Executive, assuming it was NHS Trust which employs APCOA and if their signage is confusing then the hospital can intervene, as afterall I assume they pay APCOA for managing the car park?

And yes I am the keeper.

I suspect the hospital will tell you to appeal to APCOA...

Acting now identifies the driver, which you do not want to do.

APCOA have to follow correct procedure to try and chase the reg keeper for the charge, and sometimes fail at the first hurdle. ( the Notice To Keeper ).

Hi and welcome to CAG

I have to disagree with not complaining to he hospital. By raising the issue with the hospital about APCOA may just be the icing on the cake that gets them kicked out.

The more people that complain, the sooner things will change.

Other than that, I fully agree with Armadillo

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

OK, in any event I had done the letter yesterday just a matter if I should recorded post it or not. I assume it is OK for me to post with my full address etc to the Chief Executive? I won't provide the parking charge reference on the letter in case the hospital will just categorically direct my letter to them and APCOA, without having to make any effort, know where to post to me to chase up...