Formal complaint against Virgin Media

Apollo1969
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3515 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In June, I initiated a formal complaint with Virgin Media as they came and installed a media cable onto my property without my requesting it (eg they basically came to the wrong address!). In doing so, they drilled several holes in my front garden wall, damaged a plant, etc.

Whilst they have since returned (after I brought the mistake to their attention) and removed the cable, I still expect them to restore my front wall (which is fairly new) to its original condition and pay compensation for the inconvenience, recorded delivery, phone calls, etc. Despite an exchange of letters in which they claim to have repaired the wall they have failed to do this and have also said they don't believe they are liable for any of my expenses!

I contacted the CAB who advised me to contact the Comms Ombudsmen (which I did), only to be told that Virgin are not covered by them. They put me on to CISAS, but it appears I can only use them if I am a customer of Virgin (which I am not).

I'm running out of ideas on how I should proceed now. I even tried raising it with the Police as I believe it constitutes criminal damage, but they didn't seem to share my view.

Any advice on how I can get this matter resolved? Is it time to appoint a solicitor?

Plod won't be interested, there's no profit in it for them.

Get back onto CISAS https://www.cisas.org.uk/Contactus-13_e.html

Have you exhausted VM's complaints procedure? How far down the line are you?

If they have damaged your property and have failed to rectify it, and they are denying all liability, which is pretty standard for this outfit, then IMO,

you may need to get the work done yourself, get a couple of written quotes, document everything, photograph the 'before & after' repair work, then send them the a bill, when they refuse to reimburse you for it, then use the small claims track to force them to repay you.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi Apollo1969

Welcome to CAG

I don't think you need to get a solicitor involved. You can make a claim yourself through the small claims court.

Send Virgin Media a Letter Before Action, with pictures of damage they have done to the wall, give them 14 days. Send it Recorded Delivery. Send it to their Registered Office. Don't do this unless you intend to follow through with it.

Get some quotes to fix the damage.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/letter-before-small-claims-court-claim

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/law_w/law_legal_system_e/law_taking_legal_action_e/small_claims.htm

Thanks folks, I'll take a look at these links... I don't think there's any mileage in pursuing the CISAS route though as they specifically say that you need to be a customer of the organisation concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO it would only be for costs you have incurred in repairing the damage.

I would get a couple of quotes for the repairs, send them to VM asking them which one they prefer giving them say, 14 or 28 days in which

to respond.

Failure to respond within that time WILL result in you having the work completed, which you will pay for and then demand recompense from VM,

and if needs be you are prepared to make a claim against them in the small claims court to recover your losses.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!