Same motherboard has died on two seperate PC's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My brother had a MSI 990FXA-GD65 motherboard for about two years which worked fine until one day it turned off, and wouldn't power back on at all, changed RAM / CPU / Power supply but it was the motherboard that had somehow blown.

He bought another one to replace that, which he gave to me when he upgraded it. I had a completely different set of components and it worked fine for just over a year, but then a couple of weeks ago, the screen went blank while watching a movie, and a nasty burning smell came from the PC, I had to pull the plug to turn it off. It didn't work again either.

I've now bought the newer MSI 990FXA GD-80 (same as my brother). Hopefully these will last longer!

Sounds like a PSU issue to me. I've had the same problem over the years. WHen the PSU starts to go, it makes it appear as if the mobo has died. Then randomly it might come back on even with a diff motherboard. But when it goes, it goes big time and might take your entire system with it.

Have you tried the mobo/components in a different machine, or switched the PSU out?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

What PSU is in the machine?, as in some are not up to the job if you add highend graphics cards, and oodles of RAM etc. If less than 450 Watts there isn't much headroom. Usually 450 is fine fore a csaic machine, but if using gaming graphics 600 Watt or more is better.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Each MB had a different power supply. One was 600W and another 750W. The graphics cards in each used a 6pin PCI-e connection from the PSU.

Very annoying as they are suppose to be a decent brand. My old ASUS MB is still working after 4 years.

Each MB had a different power supply. One was 600W and another 750W. The graphics cards in each used a 6pin PCI-e connection from the PSU.

Very annoying as they are suppose to be a decent brand. My old ASUS MB is still working after 4 years.

What brand PSU? I have been using an XFX 850 watt, one of my sons has just had one of those go down after 5 years,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

They were named brands, Corsair was one, not sure on the other, but I definitely don't go cheap on PSU. The same PSU's from both broken MB's are still running fine on different MB's.

5 years is almost expected. A couple of years I don't think so. I'm not sure if the SOGA covers me for this, I don't even remember where we bought them both from.

Sounds like a PSU issue to me. I've had the same problem over the years. WHen the PSU starts to go, it makes it appear as if the mobo has died. Then randomly it might come back on even with a diff motherboard. But when it goes, it goes big time and might take your entire system with it.

Have you tried the mobo/components in a different machine, or switched the PSU out?

I have stacks of old components, tried it with complete new components but still same issue. It's very odd to me that the same make and model MB have both blown, exact same symptoms.

Could other parts in the PC be causing them to blow, maybe think outside of the box.

I have stacks of old components, tried it with complete new components but still same issue. It's very odd to me that the same make and model MB have both blown, exact same symptoms.

Check your mountings and also check for anything that can short it out. From your information, it really sounds like a shorting issue, or maybe a Ram issue.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D