Rubbish bike ****Resolved****

1ManRiot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a cheap mountain bike to ride the 1.5 miles to work every day from [edit: not Argos] Halfords last weekend.

It was a red Apollo Feud one which you assembled the front wheel, seat and pedals at home.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/apollo-feud-mens-mountain-bike

In one journey the rear wheel had slipped forward knocking it out of alignment. I tightened it up again and the same happened. On closer inspection, the nut on the sprocket is a rounded one so by tightening it it's literally pushing the bracket holding the wheel on apart.

Anyway, I returned it two days later, and while the manager was reluctant at first she was quickly made aware by the bike maintenance bloke that it was a known defect with the bike and they replaced it (this time it has the correct nut as we checked).

I've done one journey on the new one, and the same happened, accelerate in a low gear and I felt it slip and the rear wheel is out of alignment, putting the brakes and gears out with it.

Having spent an hour playing with it and re-aligning it all I've noticed the frame is completely twisted at the rear forks and no matter how I position the wheel the brake or gears will be out of alignment. And even with what seemed to be the correct nut tightening the wheel is pushing the bracket apart again and the wheel slips forward. To top it off some of the teeth on the pedal gears have split already! I've ridden 2.5 miles on it!!

This is marketed as a £260 bike and it is absolutely junk.

Unfortunately I pulled all the stickers off when I was building it (they made it look even cheaper than it is), should this matter?

Am I within my rights to return it a second time for a full refund? I can't afford to upgrade, I just want my money back and rid of this absolutely terrible quality bike. It isn't fit for purpose, and I'm someone who never returns things as I almost blame myself.

Edited by 1ManRiot
Brain fart

Hi 1manriot

Go back to Halfords, ask them to refund under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

If they don't refund, contact your Credit Card provider, ask to carry out a Section 75 refund, amend the template (scroll down), send it Recorded Delivery.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act

I bought a cheap mountain bike to ride the 1.5 miles to work every day from Argos last weekend.

Argos? Apollo is Halfords own brand. Either way the advice remains the same. take it back.

Thread moved to correct forum, let us know what happens.

Sorry yes Halfords, I have no idea why I planted Argos in my head and posted in completely the wrong sub-forum.

My bad. If a mod could kindly move to a relevant sub-forum.