17 year old working in a shop

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3548 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Are there any laws regarding a 17 year old working in a shop? No alcohol is sold.

Can they be left on their own running the shop?

Can they open up and close the shop - on their own?

Thanks,

Fred

17 seems fine to me but then I'm from a country where you can get married at 16.

Has a lone worker risk assessment been done?

Are you the parent by any chance?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

They shouldnt be left on their own until they are 18 and fully trained. They can work in the shop as they are over 16. They cannot sell any age restricted products though. I dont think there are any laws about it as i know some young people that run their own businesses.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I don't think there is any blanket restriction. But there are two aspects which need to be considered. The first is health & safety, the second is working time regulations. For the working time rules have a read of https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/restrictions-on-child-employment, it looks like it technically won't be legal for a child below the school leaving age to be opening the shop if it opens before 7am or closing after 7pm.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS