Killed by benefits cuts: Starving soldier died 'as result of Iain Duncan Smith's welfare reform'

rebel11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Why is IDS not facing investigation for manslaughter in some cases ?

It does seem that DWP is not taking its welfare responsibility seriously and in such tragic cases they always seem to blame local support services, which the government has cut funding to. In this case they refer to hardship funds when benefits are withdrawn, but from what I understand access to hardship funds is not guaranteed and is limited. In this case the local job centre has not taken into account this persons health/welfare situation, when withdrawing benefit.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

David Clapson, 59, was stripped of the cash after missing an *appointment under harsh Coalition reforms.

A diabetic ex-soldier died starving and skint after officials axed his benefits.

But under the Coalition’s callous new benefits rules he had his £71.70 a week Jobseeker’s Allowance axed – merely because he missed an appointment with an adviser.

Stripped of his income, the 59-year-old could not afford food or electricity and died starving, *penniless and alone at his home.

His death was from diabetic *ketoacidosis – caused by not taking his insulin.

OMG!!! This is truly tragic!!

How many more people have to die in such tragic circumstances, before something is done?

It's very disturbing to read that David died in this way, esp in today's day & age.

As we can communicate around the world, we can cure most illnesses, we can travel in space, yet we couldn't save David, all because he missed an appointment!

My heart goes out to his family...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

There but for the grace of God go I, or you, or any of us.

As you sit opposite any one of those so called advisers the next time you attend a Jobcentre you will be looking into the face of a person who perpetuates this system and who has the potential and the power, by their ignorance and arrogance, over life and death.

Regrettably all too many of them tend to revel in, and gloat about, this state of affairs.

I will be taking a copy of that paper with me the next time I go to the Jobcentre and I will ask, “Doesn’t this bother you?” “What sort of people are you?”

Like many others I extend my sympathy and heartfelt commiserations to David’s family and friends. I did not know him personally, but as a man who voluntarily put his life on the line when duty called, his life touched us all. It is a sad reflection on the country that he served, helped protect and defend so honourably that it, not only ignored him when he needed help, but was instrumental in killing him.

Edited by honeybee13

David had been sanctioned before, a similar situation, so the DWP knew he was vulnerable, nothing on the system to automatically cancel any sanctions. They did nothing, even a phone call to check he was o.k., job done DWP you saved some money but killed someone who put his life on the line by serving his country.

This same sad news rag ran a story the other day about somebody who was on benefits going to sue the local council because their dog got hurt when chasing a cat through long grass, they reasoned that the local council was at fault for the dog's injury because they had not cut the grass.

Perhaps, by the same reasoning the person who sanctioned him should be 'sanctioned' themselves, be stripped of their income for the next 3 months and denied any other help... or, based on the flawed logic stated in the first paragraph, be sued by the poor man's family for indirect manslaughter.

Disgraceful Duncan-Smith needs to have a reality check, but sadly he probably has money saved and stored away for when his 'rainy day' comes and he is out of government.

Very sad indeed.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The sanction was out of order - but why was this man not receiving help from one of the many of the Armed forces charities ?

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

the Armed forces charities are out of their depth when it comes to welfare reforms, as most local volaters are not trained in the in and outds of the system, and the people who are specialets are totaly swamped by cases. I know this because i needed help from one and untill i got onto the national team, the advices was at best ot of date from the well meaning local team

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-28523058

Then you get news like this chap who has defrauded Help the Heroes of £300,000

Edited by citizenB
one too many zeroes !

BCOBS

Do these people never think outside the box.

He was 59, living alone and a diabetic not exactly your average weekly appointment evader, what about applying some common sense, and judging each case on facr to face merit before cutting off anyone's life line.

Even his electric had ran out, so he could not even keep his medication chilled, it is disgusting how we are treating the sick and unemployed.

Makes you realise that we mean nothing to politicians, outside a tick in the box to vote them into power, once you have stopped earning and paying towards their wages, you are of nothing else.

When governments introduce changes to their policies, they have a risk assessment done. In this assessment it will say that as a result of DWP changes, a certain number of people will die. I suspect that IDS and the DWP must have accepted the risk assessment, therefore they have direct responsibility for deaths like this.

At some point cases like this will end up in court, subject to a judicial review. Are you aware that this government is trying to make it much more difficult for people to seek a judicial review ? Chris Grayling as justice secretary is currently passing a bill through parliament that will make it more difficult for people to hold the government to account through the courts. It is currently in the House of Lords where it is facing a lot of opposition from all sides.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The government want to do away with 'Human Rights' and move towards a 'Bill of Rights', that isn't a good thing, they then will not be accountable for many of their actions and decisions.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/key-issues-for-the-new-parliament/security-and-liberty/from-the-human-rights-act-to-a-bill-of-rights/

In addition to this, the Tories also have indicated that they want to restrict peoples rights to FOI requests. Labour introduced FOI, but they have also raised concerns about the numbers of such requests, as it obviously means employing a lot of people to deal with them. But surely this is an essential element of a government being accountable to the public and therefore they have to meet the cost of dealing with FOI's ?

What is certain, is that if we are silly enough to elect a majority government, we will get an authoritarian government, who will seek to limit citizens rights. I am personally in favour of coalition governments, but hope that the Lib Dems and other smaller parties will learn from Cleggs mistake, which is that you don't have to get too close to the major party. The Lib Dems have allowed policies to be implemented that they would have fought against in opposition.

A few months back I would have said 'hung parliament' and another coalition but I think Cameron is starting to do all the pre-election stuff that stupid gullible people buy and he will get a majority. Put it this way, I am not happy with it but Milliband has no chance IMHO, far too weak and offers nothing