• Tweets

• Mr Lee helped to grow his father's small trading business into a global industrial powerhouse. View the full article
    • So here's a thought:   The average age of someone dying of Covid-19 is 82.4.   The average life expectancy is less, at 81.4.   The rest of the population is making huge sacrifices to save people who, on average, would have been dead anyway.   I wonder what the total of life-years saved by all the restrictions we've had on us since the pandemic started is? Probably not many.
    • Hi Thankyou for your response    yes it is ! I sent of a SAR and within the comms Log Lloyds advised PRA  no CCA or paperwork available  .  hence account unenforceable.   The default is listed as PRA so does that mean it’s active ?  I can’t see a default for LLoyds on there.  I will follow your advice Thankyou 
    • i will guess this is:   a debt buyer dca cannot register a default notice    if the original creditor registered a default notice then get a copy of that  staple it to a letter to PRA and demand the account is removed from your credit file forthwith or a serious complaint will be registered with the ICO and financial compensation will be sought.   give them 14 days 
    • Freight industry body warns the lack of an agreement on tariffs could make things more expensive. View the full article
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

£3500 fault after 4.5 months ***Resolved***

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2159 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Coniff,

This correspondence is between me and the finance company. When I originally contacted the garage, they ignored me.

However, they do seem to have tried take a step back from the whole thing. I'll get a letter off to them today.

Thanks for the reply :)

For anyone who might find the information in this thread useful, I replied as follows;

I am writing regarding a recent email I received on September 17th 2014 from **** ****, Branch Administrator of your **** office.

Both of the options presented to me in said email involved the supplying dealer. My claim is not against the supplying dealer but the buyer of the vehicle (*****). Therefore I find the options presented to me unacceptable. Furthermore, the expiration of the warranty is of no importance in this matter and does not affect my statutory rights.

I feel that an unreasonable length has passed in getting to this stage. If an acceptable resolution has not been reached within 14 days I will reject the vehicle for a full refund.

Yours faithfully,

I received this reply very promptly;

Thank you for your letter dated 23rd September 2014 regarding your complaint.

You mention in your letter that your claim is against (the finance company) and not the supplying dealer. To clarify our position, we have an obligation under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) to ensure that any faults that manifest within 6 years from purchase, are investigated and if appropriate fixed, this repair should be effective and on a like for like basis. If a fault manifests within the first 6 months, the burden of proof lies with the vendor (in this case, us). Beyond this point, the burden of proving that faults existed at purchase lies with the customer.

Therefore, as suggested in my earlier email we recommend that we arrange for your vehicle to be collected and taken to the supplying dealer for them to diagnose and fix any faults with the vehicle. If you would like to contact me to arrange this then please call me at your earliest convenience.

You should give them the opportunity especially as no charge to you.

The reference to timing is of no relevance as you reported this before the 6 month expired.

Ok, so you have had your garage take a look and they recon it's the timing chain(s). Did he give you a price for repair ?

If so and it was below £500, the seller has offered you a goodwill gesture of £500 so that could be a way to go. Then again, although a price for repair is given, it can't know of any other problems brought to light when the car is dismantled so the end costs could be a lot higher.

Yes, the selling dealer inspecting and repairing is a legitimate option, in fact he should be given the first opportunity to do so. It is the sellers choice of 'repair, replace or refund'.

You won't need to go to court over this if it all falls flat as the Financial Ombudsman Service can take on the finance company for you.

Hi Conniff,

I was given an estimate of around £2400, with the verbal addendum that it could go up to around £3500 once properly examined. The reason for the high cost is the complex timing system and the fact the engine has to be removed to access it.

Do you want the car repaired or would you prefer a refund ?

At this point, either outcome would be acceptable. My only concern is that the supplying dealer will do a rushed job replacing the minimum of parts, when really, considering the time involved in removing the engine, a full timing system overhaul should be performed.

• 2 months later...

So it's been a few months since this all began but it's been resolved!

To fill you in, the car was taken away by the finance company (at their cost) to the supplying dealer so that the dealer had an opportunity to inspect the car and make any repairs. Of course they found none, but the finance company asked the dealer to have the car inspected by an independent third party, who also gave the car a clean bill of health. When I looked on the map, the third party was about 15 metres away from the dealer and in the same yard. The car didn't even have to travel on a public road to get there. At this point the car was returned to me (again, paid for by the finance co). I was extremely unhappy with this result so I took the car to Audi to have a fourth inspection.

Audi reported that the car did indeed have timing chain problems and gave me an estimate for nearly £10,000! I gave this to the finance company who two days later called me and offered me the best resolution I could have hoped for. Yesterday I received my deposit and all finance payments back into my bank account, and tomorrow the car is being collected and taken away to auction.

To say I'm happy is an understatement, but it's been a frustrating few months with lots of delays.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all those that helped with advice on how to resolve this situation. I'm very pleased with the outcome!

That's a great result. I can't remember if the name of the selling dealer has been mentioned at all, if not I think it should be ?

Are there any consequential losses you have suffered ?

If you paid for the Audi inspection you are entitled to be refunded that.

I haven't mentioned any names at all. While I don't believe the dealer knew of the fault when they sold the car to me, their handling of the situation since has left a bad taste.

I paid for the Audi inspection, but the finance company have also refunded it. I have hired a car once for a weekend but I haven't bothered to chase that since it was through work and I couldn't get a receipt in my name.