Equifax moving default date - slightly

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I defaulted on one of my credit cards on 17/07/2008.

Over the last year I have purchased my £2 statutory credit report from Equifax a few times (Jul'13, Nov'13, Apr'14) and

each has shown the same 17/07/2008 default date for my credit card.

Last week I purchased another report on the 18/07/2014 expecting this default to no longer show

but despite the report being a 'snapshot' of my report 6 years and one day after the default it was still showing.

Not to worry I thought as a search on the web has shown that Equifax dont normally knock defaults off until 1-2 weeks after it should have.

Just checked my report again today 27/07/2014 not only is the default still there

but they've sneakily moved the original default date over 6 years ago to a few days later to 21/07/2008 (should be 17/07/08).

I thought the default date was immoveable?

Can they keep shifting the default date at will?

By the way I have pdf copies of my previous reports on my hard disk showing the original date.

The default date cannot be changed.

This should be removed at any time in the next few days.

If not off your files by Tuesday make a compliant to the Data Controller at Equifax.

There is the point that the data on a £2.00 report is only current for the day its taken to prepare the report you receive.

An online free 30 day trial may help you to check more accurately, you may also want to check Experian and Call Credit ( CCs Noddle is free)

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thank you for the reply.

I did two seperate orders for my statutory credit report so two lots of £2.00 spent and two seperate snapshots of my report 9 days apart - one on the 18/07/2014 a day after I expected the default to drop off and another one today which is 10 days after I expected the default to have dropped off, as I explained earlier i've since read that Equifax can be a bit slow and its normally upto 2 weeks (wasted £4.00 in the meantime).

The thing that has annoyed me today though is the ever so slight change in the default date even if its only by 4 days - someone has obviously made the effort and has the power to change it? If so why?

Anyway i'll check again (Another £2.00) on Tuesday or Wednesday or think about the free trial. I have got two more defaults to drop off on the 05/08/14 and 30/10/14 when my report should be clean at last so am interested in how they deal with this first one.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the reply.

I did two seperate orders for my statutory credit report so two lots of £2.00 spent and two seperate snapshots of my report 9 days apart - one on the 18/07/2014 a day after I expected the default to drop off and another one today which is 10 days after I expected the default to have dropped off, as I explained earlier i've since read that Equifax can be a bit slow and its normally upto 2 weeks (wasted £4.00 in the meantime

The thing that has annoyed me today though is the ever so slight change in the default date even if its only by 4 days - someone has obviously made the effort and has the power to change it? If so why?

Anyway i'll check again (Another £2.00) on Tuesday or Wednesday or think about the free trial. I have got two more defaults to drop off on the 05/08/14 and 30/10/14 when my report should be clean at last so am interested in how they deal with this first one.

Thanks again.

Could just be an input error.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I have ordered the Equifax credit report/score free trial version (£14.95 after 30 days - I'll cancel before then)- am I correct in assuming this will update automatically during the month if something changes (eg A default drops off) unlike the statutory one which is just a snapshot of the day you order it which you can still view for 30 days?

I have ordered the Equifax credit report/score free trial version (£14.95 after 30 days - I'll cancel before then)- am I correct in assuming this will update automatically during the month if something changes (eg A default drops off) unlike the statutory one which is just a snapshot of the day you order it which you can still view for 30 days?

Yes, events are updated ongoing.

All errors should be reported to ico

Such a small discrepancy is better dealt with directly with the CRA and the company that posted the entry!

Yes, events are updated ongoing.

Tuesday the default was still showing so

I queried it using the online 'ask a question' facility on my account,

I got a reply saying they had removed the default off my account and sent me a free snapshot of my report dated 29/07/14

(effectively a free statutory) with that default now missing.

Disappointed I had to prod them.

surely they did not need to send me a free updated snapshot of my report as on Sunday (as I explained earlier in this thread)

I ordered the free 30-day credit report+score trial which i'll cancel before the 30 days are up

- I thought this product would automatically update when changes happen

but when I click on this 30-day trial product I get a snapshot of my report when I ordered it (27/07/14)

which still shows the old default.

So this £14.95 product is obviously not an evolving, real time product that updates every day then?

Does this product not generate a new updated report each day?

If not when my next default is due to drop off on 05/08/14 I will have to prod them again

and be sent another 'free' (Bless them) statutory snapshot?

I hope the WHOLE ACCOUNT disappeared

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Tuesday the default was still showing so

I queried it using the online 'ask a question' facility on my account,

I got a reply saying they had removed the default off my account and sent me a free snapshot of my report dated 29/07/14

(effectively a free statutory) with that default now missing.

Disappointed I had to prod them.

surely they did not need to send me a free updated snapshot of my report as on Sunday (as I explained earlier in this thread)

I ordered the free 30-day credit report+score trial which i'll cancel before the 30 days are up

- I thought this product would automatically update when changes happen

but when I click on this 30-day trial product I get a snapshot of my report when I ordered it (27/07/14)

which still shows the old default.

So this £14.95 product is obviously not an evolving, real time product that updates every day then?

Does this product not generate a new updated report each day?

If not when my next default is due to drop off on 05/08/14 I will have to prod them again

and be sent another 'free' (Bless them) statutory snapshot?

The main system that the individual sees is slower to update, but the entry is no longer seen my anyone one making a search of your files.

Potential lenders see a different format so it is resolved.

May I suggest getting £2 stat reports from Experian and Call Credit which will have been publishing the same data.

May I suggest getting £2 stat reports from Experian and Call Credit which will have been publishing the same data.

Yes i'll do the £2 experian one but wait until next week after 05/08/14 when a default is due to drop off, I believe from what i've read that experian really do get rid of defaults on time. My 30-day Equifax trial has still not updated from 27/07/14 so still showing the earlier default though as you say lenders should no longer see it. I've tried the free Noddle one but they can never verify my identity even though i'm on the electoral roll and have been at the same address for 40+ years, have valid cards (debit card/aqua credit card - Important during registration) and have had no problem in accessing my Equifax/Experian reports in the past.

Yes i'll do the £2 experian one but wait until next week after 05/08/14 when a default is due to drop off, I believe from what i've read that experian really do get rid of defaults on time. My 30-day Equifax trial has still not updated from 27/07/14 so still showing the earlier default though as you say lenders should no longer see it. I've tried the free Noddle one but they can never verify my identity even though i'm on the electoral roll and have been at the same address for 40+ years, have valid cards (debit card/aqua credit card - Important during registration) and have had no problem in accessing my Equifax/Experian reports in the past.

Not an unusual experience with Noddle because of 2nd hand data, and being slow and often inaccurate, it is basically what you get for free I'm afraid!¬

• 1 month later...

Hi thanks for the replies.

Those two defaults dropped off and my report became excellent (or so I thought!).

But I had 3 defaults overall in 2008,

the first two went off my file in July and early August respectively as explained during this thread.

The reason I have resurrected it after 7 weeks is because back in 2008 there was a third default applied to me

this time by CL Finance on 30/10/2008 (Passed to them from Barclaycard),

this was passed from CL Finance to Hoist Portfolio at the end of last year about 10 months before the default was due to drop off

- however whereas CL Finance reported to the credit reference agencies each month so any lender could see the default

Hoist Portfolio have never reported it since they took over so

even though I had three defaults overall only the two (earlier in thiis thread) showed up this year until they dropped off.

my credit report was now clear....

at the end of August I applied for a proper bank account with NatWest

with a small overdraft and

cheque book and

a credit card and

I was accepted for both,

this was on 30th August.

I have just checked my statutory credit report from Equifax tonight

and a search was undertaken by RBS group and NatWest card services on 30/08/14

Hoist Portfolio have suddenly updated my report on 06/09/14 after showing zero interest in my report since the end of last year

and I now have a big fat red default on my report again

it is no longer clear (It was clear for about a month!).

Now its still within the six years since the default

they are within their rights to ressurect the default again until 30/10/14 and

I know its only another 5 weeks to go but I find it strange that since hoist took over the debt late last year

the debt had disapeared from my report only to reappear 7 DAYS after I finally get a proper bank account again,

is this just a coincidence or is it someone being a bit vindictive at Hoist

- checking my report ,

seeing i've been allowed credit at NatWest and then muttering to themselves

"Who does he think he is, owing us money and getting credit again before the six years are up

- we'll put that default back on his report and maybe Natwest will notice

and close his new accounts or downgrade it to basic hahahaha" :-)

My question -

Are my new accounts safe or do banks check your report again after the initial checks at account opening?

Dont forget at the point of opening the accounts in that month window my report was excellent

and default free for the first time in six years but for the next 5 weeks its got a single nasty (and I mean really nasty) red default again.

hoist/cl are the same lot

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi thanks for the replies.

Those two defaults dropped off and my report became excellent (or so I thought!).

But I had 3 defaults overall in 2008,

the first two went off my file in July and early August respectively as explained during this thread.

The reason I have resurrected it after 7 weeks is because back in 2008 there was a third default applied to me

this time by CL Finance on 30/10/2008 (Passed to them from Barclaycard),

this was passed from CL Finance to Hoist Portfolio at the end of last year about 10 months before the default was due to drop off

- however whereas CL Finance reported to the credit reference agencies each month so any lender could see the default

Hoist Portfolio have never reported it since they took over so

even though I had three defaults overall only the two (earlier in thiis thread) showed up this year until they dropped off.

my credit report was now clear....

at the end of August I applied for a proper bank account with NatWest

with a small overdraft and

cheque book and

a credit card and

I was accepted for both,

this was on 30th August.

I have just checked my statutory credit report from Equifax tonight

and a search was undertaken by RBS group and NatWest card services on 30/08/14

Hoist Portfolio have suddenly updated my report on 06/09/14 after showing zero interest in my report since the end of last year

and I now have a big fat red default on my report again

it is no longer clear (It was clear for about a month!).

Now its still within the six years since the default

they are within their rights to ressurect the default again until 30/10/14 and

I know its only another 5 weeks to go but I find it strange that since hoist took over the debt late last year

the debt had disapeared from my report only to reappear 7 DAYS after I finally get a proper bank account again,

is this just a coincidence or is it someone being a bit vindictive at Hoist

- checking my report ,

seeing i've been allowed credit at NatWest and then muttering to themselves

"Who does he think he is, owing us money and getting credit again before the six years are up

- we'll put that default back on his report and maybe Natwest will notice

and close his new accounts or downgrade it to basic hahahaha" :-)

My question -

Are my new accounts safe or do banks check your report again after the initial checks at account opening?

Dont forget at the point of opening the accounts in that month window my report was excellent

and default free for the first time in six years but for the next 5 weeks its got a single nasty (and I mean really nasty) red default again.

Hi yes they can, the default date how ever must remain the same as the original creditors entry on the CRA files.

How far adrift is the "new" date?

If there is only one day difference in the dates on your file contest it, add notices of dispute/correction to each CRA entry (you can do this online, instructions are on each CRA site.

Once an account has been opened and is running satisfactorily unless you make and applications say for an overdraft or credit limit change the creditor will have no reason to recheck your files.

Once an account has been opened and is running satisfactorily unless you make and applications say for an overdraft or credit limit change the creditor will have no reason to recheck your files.

Hopefully this

- I have no intention of appliying for an overdraft increase or credit limit change over the next 5 weeks (or after that as well )

so hopefully they (NatWest) wont re-check my report.

If hypothetically they did then they will wonder how on earth they originally granted me a normal current account

and a credit card just a few weeks earlier because that last default which has magically just reappeared on my credit report was a bad one.

Just can't understand why Hoist suddenly put the default back on my credit report again after a gap of 10 months

(I thought they had forgotton about me!) - and just 7 days after I opened my new accounts.

Still it will only reappear for another 5 weeks because the default date was 30/10/08.

One other thing and the reason I posted is that i've read on moneysavingexpert forums that some banks (Lloyds)

get a monthly feed off the CRA's and adjust their existing customers internal ratings accordingly, I hope NatWest dont do this.

Hopefully this - I have no intention of appliying for an overdraft increase or credit limit change over the next 5 weeks (or after that as well ) so hopefully they (NatWest) wont re-check my report. If hypothetically they did then they will wonder how on earth they originally granted me a normal current account and a credit card just a few weeks earlier because that last default which has magically just reappeared on my credit report was a bad one. Just can't understand why Hoist suddenly put the default back on my credit report again after a gap of 10 months (I thought they had forgotton about me!) - and just 7 days after I opened my new accounts. Still it will only reappear for another 5 weeks because the default date was 30/10/08.

One other thing and the reason I posted is that i've read on moneysavingexpert forums that some banks (Lloyds) get a monthly feed off the CRA's and adjust their existing customers internal ratings accordingly, I hope NatWest dont do this.

Been an NW customer for years and have relatives working for them never a hint of this.

I should add to this regarding default dates.

Date added, Dec 2005, Date Removed should have been Dec 2011 - In February 2012 the credit file was checked and

the date had been extended by one year.

Wrote to the Credit ref Agency ( Experian ) asking them to explain why it was that a alleged debt was extended.

Experian wrote back stating it was not for them to make the dates and the lender putting on the entry should be contacted.

I wrote back to Experian saying they had an obligation to keep their records true and uptodate and that no file of

the nature on the credit file should be extended by a year regardless of who the lender is.

I also wrote to the lender regarding the data breach, initially the didn't respond.

I also wrote to the ICO

One month later the entry was removed, no explanation was given by either the lender or Experian.

Lender = Egg

Experian = Not to be trusted

ICO = Seems to have worked.

Personally speaking I have given up on applying for my credit file, even in the event of being knocked back on credit.

Simply put I don't trust them, they appear to be on the side of the lender and leave the end user to fight any anomalies

on the account. At the same time as this and in the past, a reasonably trouble free from lenders/dca's period would

be the norm but if I was to check my credit file for any reason i would for some strange reason and within just a few

weeks of my checking my file and I would end up with a slew of letters from the various scavengers.

So it is my opinion that Experian and the likes are wholly untrustworthy with our information and with the amount of

organisations now seemingly able to check out our credit files without out consent, well let them, they can kiss my

patooty, no more will I be guided/held to ranson by such bottom dwellers.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

DCAs,Debt Purchasers and Potential Lenders, check credit files, an individual will have given a potential lender "permission" to search files within the application form.

The DCAs and Debt purchasers will search files under the " agreements/debt"

that they have purchased.

The Credit Reference Agencies have to rely on the data fed to them by creditors and the debt collection industry and can only assume the data is correct.

The larger problem with this is that the CRAs have to contact the data controller of

a company placing an entry when a query is raised regarding the accuracy of data on an individuals file, and again the agencies have to rely the answer given by the company submitting the data.

So we enter a continuing circle of argument regarding the accuracy of data on CRA files and until some more stringent regulation is put in place by the ICO and the Department of Business and Skills nothing will change.