Purchased car but V5C in wrong name ***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3553 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

We purchased a new car and paid the car via debit card.

The total amount was paid from my wifes card. Before we bought the car we asked the salesman if it was paid with my wifes card the car would have to be registered in my name, and he said that would be no problem.

If that was an issue we would have paid them cash but saved us carrying cash with us.

They taxed the car, we signed the paperwork and he gave us the green section of the v5 but they had put my wifes name on the new keeper section. I told him that it was my name and he apologised telling me that they would give me a letter to send to dvla.

I emailed dvla who replied saying they can do this with a letter confirming the mistake.

The salesman has now said they cant give a letter because of their audit and because they are regulated by the fsa.

Not the biggest issue in the world but when I get the v5 back im going to have to change into my name giving it another owner !

Ive phoned dvla back and they say they cant do anything without a letter from the dealer.

Also called the dealer back again but she is not budging and now says she cant remember the conversation about me asking for the car to be put into my name.

Thanks

Hi Conniff,

Thanks for the reply. That is my next step and thought id post here first as there is always good advice and pointers from members that could be used in a letter that I wouldn't think of.

Thanks

It doesn't matter who it says the registered keeper is on the log book and you don't need to put another owner on it.

You can just leave it as it is.

What the dealer has told you is absolute nonsense anyway...regulated by the FSA...so what? you didn't buy it on finance did you? They just can't be bothered, fairly typical of the taker your money and run attitude far too many of them have.

The name on the V5 is not necessarily the legal owner of the car, and it says so on there, the name on the logbook is the registered keeper. So it makes no difference, you can insure it etc and dispose of it all perfectly normally.

We had the same issue and although we informed the DVLA they changed the car into my wife's name with me as a former keeper. Gave up after a couple of months as coudl get nowhere and dealer was most unhelpful. Couldn't sue the finance company to add muscle as unknown to us it was a loan on the car and not HP thanks to a devious Toyota dealer!

Thanks everyone who replied.

Took advice from above and called my insurance company. They said it was no problem because it was my wife and we stay at the same address but they would amend my policy at no charge.

As the dealer wasn't playing ball and I didn't want all the hassle it would have ended up with an extra owner on the log book....

So thanks again !

• dx100uk changed the title to Purchased car but V5C in wrong name ***Resolved***