Car Park Height Problem .....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3549 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently entered a car park with my van, at the entrance to the car park the sign states the car park min height is 2.5m however the car park internal height was 3.1m.

My van entered without any issues however whilst parking a section of the car park is lower than the the 3.1m and drops to 2.6m and as a result i managed to damage the top of my van.

There was no signage showing a difference in height within different sections of the car park. Would anyone know whether I have any chance legally in recovering damages for this from the car park owner.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Sid

...at the entrance to the car park the sign states the car park min height is 2.5m...

So the sign warned you that the minimum height was 2.5m and the minimum height in the carpark was indeed just over 2.5m and you want to complain ?

The sign was a warning of the safe MAXIMUM height of a vehicle that could safely use the carpark. You chose to ignore that warning.

So the sign warned you that the minimum height was 2.5m and the minimum height in the carpark was indeed just over 2.5m and you want to complain ?

The sign was a warning of the safe MAXIMUM height of a vehicle that could safeoly use the carpark. You chose to ignore that warning.

No my complaint is that there is a difference in height within the car park and the height difference is not sign posted or made clear.

The sign was a warning of the safe MAXIMUM height of a vehicle that could safely use the carpark. You chose to ignore that warning.

No my complaint is that there is a difference in height within the car park and the height difference is not sign posted or made clear.

I wonder instead if they could come after you for the damage to their car park .......

They don't have to warn of a drop in height, at that point, provided the height is greater than 2.5m : given the 2.5m maximum warning at the car park entrance.

If you bought a claim, they would defend on grounds of your contributory negligence, making you 100 % liable for ignoring the warning which you admit you saw and ignored.

You ignored the warning sign at the car park entrance (why do you think it is there?). You've ignored CrappoMan's advice which I believe is 'spot on' ......

Do you have a warning sign prominently displayed advising: "Will ignore good advice and create spurious legal cases"?

Sorry Sid, but as said above, the 2.5m height warning at the entrance means that no vehicles higher than 2.5m should proceed. The fact that the car park is higher in other places is therefore irrelevant.

Personally, I have never trusted those height warning signs to be accurate. In a multi-storey car park (one that is supposed to be high enough for my vehicle), I still watch the head room just like any other potential obstruction. Just in case.

• 2 weeks later...