Is this criminal behaviour - if so who should I report it to?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The following scenario is about a current account with a bank that I will call "L" to give some anonymity

L took money from that they shouldn't have, then applied charges over the years that were only possible because of the money they took.

L finally refunded the money, but not the charges (despite the banking regulations saying they should), then closed the account and demanded payment of the balance - mainly the charges.

I told L all about this but they didn't care.

In my view the charges shouldn't have applied and this is a fictitious debt invented by L.

L blustered a bit, threatened court action, but for some reason didn't go ahead.

L sold the account to "M". Presumably they also wrote this off against tax. That's fairly normal.

However, because L invented the debt, L had an inflated balance sheet for a while then got money from the tax man & M.

For a single account, I think that that might be something beginning with "F" and maybe should be reported to the police. However if L was making a habit of this, that would probably be something a bit more serious

Does this behavior sound criminal to anyone else?

Where do I go from here?

It's not the taking money that they weren't entitled to that I think might be criminal, but the claiming of tax relief on an artificially inflated debt and the sale of that to a 3rd party.... I thought that fleecing the tax man and selling something that they weren't entitled to sell would be more serious.

"L" in the Lloyds section might be a bit of a clue, but I don't want to say any more otherwise it can be easily identified by L or M.

It's not the taking money that they weren't entitled to that I think might be criminal, but the claiming of tax relief on an artificially inflated debt and the sale of that to a 3rd party.... I thought that fleecing the tax man and selling something that they weren't entitled to sell would be more serious.

"L" in the Lloyds section might be a bit of a clue, but I don't want to say any more otherwise it can be easily identified by L or M.

I cannot see anything unlawful or illegal here.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

It was the taxman that got Al Capone!

I was hoping that a bank claiming tax relief when writing off a debt that they invented might be fraud or something similar

It occurred to me that they would have claimed back more tax than they were entitled to, in the same way that they were claiming more money from me than they were entitled to.

The money they took from my account was for services that they didn't supply taking me into an un-authorised overdraft and loads of charges that they refused to refund.

The debt they claimed was mainly charges that the FSA rules (at the time) say should have been refunded.

They stuck to their claims but wouldn't take me to court, just sold on. meanwhile they got money from the sale based on an inflated account and as far as I see it, claimed back more than they should against tax when they wrote off the debt

It was the taxman that got Al Capone!

I was hoping that a bank claiming tax relief when writing off a debt that they invented might be fraud or something similar

It occurred to me that they would have claimed back more tax than they were entitled to, in the same way that they were claiming more money from me than they were entitled to.

The money they took from my account was for services that they didn't supply taking me into an un-authorised overdraft and loads of charges that they refused to refund.

The debt they claimed was mainly charges that the FSA rules (at the time) say should have been refunded.

They stuck to their claims but wouldn't take me to court, just sold on. meanwhile they got money from the sale based on an inflated account and as far as I see it, claimed back more than they should against tax when they wrote off the debt

You cannot possibly know what action a company has taken in regard to its internal accounting and tax liabilities..

Your case lies entirely with the creditor, if you want to take further action in regard to this make a Formal Complaint (at director level), await their response, if this is not satisfactory you can take the complaint to FOS.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

You cannot possibly know what action a company has taken in regard to its internal accounting and tax liabilities..

You are right, I cannot prove that they claimed this against tax, but if they didn't, that would be because they knew that it was dodgy yet continued to demand money from me & sold the debt on

Your case lies entirely with the creditor, if you want to take further action in regard to this make a Formal Complaint (at director level), await their response, if this is not satisfactory you can take the complaint to FOS.

How would I make sure that a letter gets to a director, and which one would I choose that might care about their past conduct?

They are well into their usual policy of refusing to discuss the matter any further ...

You are right, I cannot prove that they claimed this against tax, but if they didn't, that would be because they knew that it was dodgy yet continued to demand money from me & sold the debt on

How would I make sure that a letter gets to a director, and which one would I choose that might care about their past conduct?

They are well into their usual policy of refusing to discuss the matter any further ...

If this refers to a "retail" bank account i.e., a current account/overdraft/ personal loan research the responsible director.

A formal complaint requires full investigation (even for historic events) and a response within 56 days.

What were these services that they charged you for but didn't provide?

I think you need to give the full picture here.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

What were these services that they charged you for but didn't provide?

I think you need to give the full picture here.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS