British Gas stress making me ill ! ***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3542 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, im hoping someone can help me .

I moved into my home 2 1/2 years ago, its all electric, with BG.

Ive had problems since the start, with BG getting readings that Ive given the wrong way around on their website, over and over again,

bad communications, umpteen emails, extortionately high bills for the property Im in, and so on.

When I moved here it was on an Economy7 tariff, but with combination radiators apparently ( Im not even sure what that means),

and I used them as normal radiators as I am in bed by 9.30 each night and home all day.

Each meter reading I gave was transposed, and I kept telling them but it kept happening..

.actually if I post the last 2 emails, one from me and the reply from BG it may make it a little clearer,

I couldnt afford the bills and queried how high they were, believing the transposed readings were at fault...here are the last 2 emails...

Dear British Gas...you are making me ill !! Seriously, you are affecting my health to such an extent

Ive just had to sit for an hour over-coming a panic attack.

I dont know how much longer I can deal with this.

I am disabled. i have MS and I also have an autistic daughter and I can say hand-on-heart that BG is causing me MORE stress

than both those things at the moment, but making them worse! I am on benefits and a single parent.

Please PLEASE read the following email, slowly and carefully, in its entirety, and respond to the points one by one, NOT a standard reply fob-off !

I have kept ALL my correspondence to you and frankly it makes shocking reading ,

the left hand of BG doesnt know what the right hand is doing.

Not only do my meter readings constantly be pit in the wrong way around on the website

but I keep being told different things and the estimates are a total joke!

Right..here goes with the letter I received today.

Now saying I owe £1357.72 ....

..This is the final straw for me and I burst into tears. I cant deal with it anymore!

I cant even phone you because part of my Disability means I get muddled when talking a

nd cant get my points across properly and I have short term memory loss and

whatever tou say to me via phone is soon hard to remember.

So tou have me over a barrell as all I can do ks email you and you keep sending me standard letters.

So, these are the points I want raised...looking through the bill you sent me,

showing usage and cost from feb 2012 - july 2014 not only am I being charged wrong due to the readings being reversed,

there are lots of estimates that cannot be right.

To remind you...i live in a tiny, 2 bed bungalow for disabled people.

I dont have lots of electrical stuff,

i dont even have a tumble dryer!

Ive spoken to other residents in the same bungalows and none of them have bills like me.

A 4 bed house opposite mine has bills similar to me!

An estimate for 6th jan 2013-6th april 2013 is for £495. Very high but if i thought that was bad, i was in for a bigger shock!

On 6th july-20th nov 2013 the bill is a whopping £936.28 !!!

Close to a thousand pounds for 4 months electricity in part of summer??? A tiny 2 bed bungalow, not a mansion!

Im not paying it, I CANT pay it, and I want to complain strongly. I will not be staying with BG a

nd will make sure everyone knows the distress you have caused me in the 2 years Ive lived here.

I keep goimg around in circles with you....I keep telling you the readings are being reversed,

you send me a monitor to keep check of bills and I send to regular readings.

im then advised that bills may be high due to being on an Economy 7 tariff because I have combi heating

but as I am in bed by 9.30 every evening,

I use electricity in a " normal " way...but the day rate will be higher on that tariff.

So you switch me to normal tariff...only then that means I cant give you readings, so all bills are estimates,

which is a worry because you seem to estimate me as living in a mansion!

So I have solar panels to lower my bills....waste of time because you still keep giving me estimated bills based on HUGE amounts of usage.

.even though I can SEE on the monitor that I am using less than 30pence A DAY in electricity!!

You have taken money out of my account in the past without telling me you are taking more than the agreed DD amount,

and left me with NO money to live on, the list of problems you have caused me is endless.

I am SUPPOSED to be having a meter change over tomorrow but have no faith that this will even happen.

I have no faith in BG to sort all these problems out once and for all.

If this is not resolved this time, I am stopping the DD, and will go to court.

I am not a vindictive person but when you are making me as ill as you are, I have to do something!

I am now going to be worried constantly that you will take more money out of my account than the agreed £88.00 per month,

and leave me again with nothing!

Please please please look into all Ive written here, and in particular the bill of a thousand pound for 4 months bloody electricity!!!

Before you drive me to something stupid!

----------------------------

And their reply today....

Dear Ms ********

Thank you for your email about the electricity bill.

I'm sorry that your electricity bill amount has upset you. Trust me, it is never our intention for you to experience distress as a result of our actions

and I am very sorry for the difficulties caused to you.

I can certainly understand your situation and I would have felt the same if I was in your place.

The reason I asked you to provide the meter readings and its registration code was to confirm that we have correct details before escalating it.

You've provided us your meter readings as 35870 (day) and 20797 (night).

The meter readings on your electricity have been corrected as you've mentioned that we had the meter readings wrong way around.

For example: The meter readings taken on 31 March 2014 were updated as 20461 (day) and 35104 (night).

We've corrected it to 35104 (day) and 20461 (night).

We had to cancel all your previous bills in order to correct your all the meter readings.

This is the reason; we have re-billed your account from 06 February 2012 onwards.

We've billed your account to the meter readings of 36401 (day) and 21076 (night).

The debit balance on the account is £1357.72.

We've received your payment of £88.00 on 15 July 2014.

The debit balance on the account is £1269.72 (£1357.72 - £88.00).

I assure that I've cancelled your above estimated bill and re-billed the account based on your actual meter readings.

I've re-billed your account to the meter readings of 35870 (day) and 20797 (night).

The current debit balance on the account is £1131.01.

The billing period is 06 February 2012 to 02 July 2014.

You'll receive your bill within 7 working days.

Your account is up to date completely based on your meter readings.

I understand the bill amount is higher than your expectation.

This is because as we've re-billed your account based on corrected meter readings.

Thank you for letting us know about the new meter.

It takes 28 days to update your new meter details on the account.

You can ask someone to check the meter and reply to my email with the following details.

1. Meter removal reading:

2. New Meter Serial Number:

3. Start Read:

4. Current Meter Reading and Date:

I'll store the above mentioned details on your account for the information purpose.

We can make arrangements to amend the new details in case your meter details aren't updated after 28 days.

I regret that your impression of British Gas is not good at present

and would like to assure you that this is not typical of the level of service we strive to provide.

You have my assurance that your comments have been noted in our records.

We strive to provide the highest levels of customer service at all times and I regret you have not experienced this.

As one of the UK's big six energy suppliers, we take any complaint regarding our service extremely seriously.

Please get in touch by 31 July 2014 on the details above, so we can progress this for you.

Don’t worry if you’re unable to provide this information, just contact me so we can discuss our next steps.

If however, you don’t need us to help or you’re happy that this is now resolved,

you don’t need to do anything and I’ll make the arrangements to close your complaint on 31 July 2014.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly and resolving this issue for you.

If you’d like information about our complaints handling procedure you can view a copy by either going online at britishgas.co.uk/energycomplaints,

or by getting in touch and one of our advisors will arrange to send you a copy free of charge.

Thank you for contacting British Gas.

Kind regards

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Customer Service Advisor

---------------------------------------

So please,

Im hoping someone can help me make sense of this, as it really is affecting my health now.

Ive no idea what any of the above means,

Im thinking possibly that Ive highlighted the transposing of the readings to BG,

hoping my bills would be lowered as I struggle to pay the huge bills, and now,

because BG have been billing me wrong due to THEIR mistake,

they have now re-billed me, even higher!

And no matter what they say, there is NO WAY on earth I use almost a grands worth of electricity in 4 months! How is that even possible?

Can they do this?

Do I just have to try to,pay it off a small amount at a time, which is going to be hard as I struggle financially now,

and can you also tell me if its possible to switch suppliers or cant I do that because of the debt?

This company is going to make me seriously unwell and I cant afford to be as I care for my disabled daughter too.

Thanks, I hope you can help and tell me what I should do next.

Hi bhb1958

Economy 7 basically means you have a Tariff for day time and a Tariff for night time, thus the two readings. If you don't use at least 45% of your electricity during the night time, then there is no benefit in keeping Economy 7. Because you are on an Economy 7 Tariff, you are paying more for your day time electricity. Your combination radiators allow you to benefit from Economy 7 by storing cheap electricty during the night, then using it during the day when you switch the combination radiators on.

It could be that you are on the Standard Tariff, which would be expensive.

Click on far right:-

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/business/manage-account/how-to-read-meter

It could be that the meter is faulty:-

https://www.gov.uk/electricity-meter-accuracy-and-billing-disputes

Backbilling rules might apply in some circumstances and you would only be required to pay 12 months billing:-

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/publication/finish/43/412.html

Hi Rebel11, thanks for your reply.

Im a bit confused because they told me I was on a E7 tariff but on my bill it says a standard tariff? The meter was changed yesterday to a normal one with just one reading on it, which thankfully means that British Gas cant cock up the readings anymore, but it doesnt help me with the debt Ive accumulated with them.

I looked up " back billing" after reading your post, and Im still pretty confused to be honest. Most Ive read seems to be about consumers not being billed for a year or more then having one large bill, would it apply to where BG has consistently put the transposed readings in? ( they said its not their fault that happened, a computer does it automatically apparently)

Plus, seeing as the bulk of the bill is the Grand ( almost) that they say I owe for the period of July-November 2013, that amount would fall under the "one year" period wouldnt it?

How a spike of usage could suddenly appear in that 4 months, to the tune of almost a Grand, is beyond me! But they say its right.

Im at my wits end here, Im exhausted from battling them for the last 2 years. Would this be a case for taking this further do you think? Im never going to be able to prove I didnt use that amount of electricity though am I. Even though I know 100% they are wrong.

Hi bhb1958

Hi Rebel11, thanks for your reply.

Im a bit confused because they told me I was on a E7 tariff but on my bill it says a standard tariff? The meter was changed yesterday to a normal one with just one reading on it, which thankfully means that British Gas cant cock up the readings anymore, but it doesnt help me with the debt Ive accumulated with them.

You are on a Standard Tariff which means you aren't on money saving Tariffs such as a 'Fixed or Capped Tariff', if there are price increases they will apply them to Standard Tariffs but not to' Fixed or Capped Tariff'. Have they charged you for installing the new meter?

I looked up " back billing" after reading your post, and Im still pretty confused to be honest. Most Ive read seems to be about consumers not being billed for a year or more then having one large bill, would it apply to where BG has consistently put the transposed readings in? ( they said its not their fault that happened, a computer does it automatically apparently)

There is no such thing as 'transposed readings', he means 'estimated readings'. Yes it is done automatically. British Gas should have sent someone around to get 'actual readings' at least every two years. Have they tried to do that?

Plus, seeing as the bulk of the bill is the Grand ( almost) that they say I owe for the period of July-November 2013, that amount would fall under the "one year" period wouldnt it?

You would have to pay for that period, But that should actully be the lowest billing as it is mainly for the summer months.

How a spike of usage could suddenly appear in that 4 months, to the tune of almost a Grand, is beyond me! But they say its right.

It is possible but very unlikely. Have they changed your Tariff without your knowledge?

Im at my wits end here, Im exhausted from battling them for the last 2 years. Would this be a case for taking this further do you think? Im never going to be able to prove I didnt use that amount of electricity though am I. Even though I know 100% they are wrong.

Send them a SAR request, they have 40 days to respond with all the info on your account for the last 6 years. You will have to send £10 with the request.

seems to me that you've actually diddled yourself here by complaining.

this sentence explains why:

The meter readings on your electricity have been corrected as you've mentioned that we had the meter readings wrong way around.

For example: The meter readings taken on 31 March 2014 were updated as 20461 (day) and 35104 (night).

We've corrected it to 35104 (day) and 20461 (night).

this means that you have actually used twice as much electric now at the higher day rate than the way it was!!

its always better to have the larger reading for the night hours as the rate is cheaper.

no wonder BG agreed with you and didn't argue!!!

however all might not be lost

it strikes me that the meter [that's been removed]

might well have been faulty

i'd request via BG that they get it checked before its destroyed.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

have you a picture of your old meter please

I've quite a good history of with working these out

had exact same issue for 9yrs

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

have you a picture of your old meter please

I've quite a good history of with working these out

had exact same issue for 9yrs

dx

Hi ive been trying to post the pic i have of the old meter but i cant seem to get it from my ipad album to here. I will keep trying, thanks.

Cant seem to do it, sorry.

Ive emailed them again, saying I dispute this amount, and that the fault lies with BG and that I want the old meter inspected.

Ive also said I want to officially complain.

Im sorry, im at my wits end and my health really is suffering because of this.

I simply cant pay a £1200 odd debt.

I struggle with bills as it is,

how can I be expected to pay 3 times the amount I struggled with before.

But do I even have a leg to stand on?

If they dont check the old meter,

im never going to be able to prove its faulty.

And it MUST surely be faulty?

Who uses a grands worth of electricity suddenly, in 4 month, summer months, in a tiny 2 bed property!

pm sent with contact email for pics fwd.

your key here IMHO

is to start taking daily reading.

it should after a few months or poss weeks

be easy to show and avg usage over say a week/month etc.

if after calcs which I can do

it shows the new weekly usage is a lot less than the historic meter

it should give them good cause to investigate and question past years.

through the very same method

after a VERY long time

where by I complained from day one in 1994 I had a faulty meter

it took 9yrs until

oneday in a thunder storm the meter failed

they came and changed it

my electric useage went down by +30%

I eventually got over £1300 out of BG

and the previous supplier powergen I got £2600 back.

dx

and they

Thanks a lot dx, have sent you the pics.

The taking of meter readings daily now wont be much help really though, my housing association had solar panels fitted on my bungalow in Feb and my usage has gone down a lot because of that so couldnt compare to last years bills.

I feel theyve got me at every turn to be honest, as I cant prove I didnt use that amount of electricity due to the panels now, and what with them removing the old meter I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt conveniently destroyed : (

Hi dx, Ive sent you a couple of the emails from/to BG...ive got in a bit of a mess doing it cuz Im a new ipad/goolemail user and find it all a bit complicated, lol, sorry if they come in a bit of a confusing way or are duplicated.

I've got a couple of emails from you with two bg/you exchganges

i'd like to see a few bils please.

as guessed

the reason for you not being able to enter your two readings is

you have been on a single tarrif

thus the site will not allow two entries

so if reverything has beensingle tarrif

I cant see how they can justify switching the day/night rates around

and charging you more.

are you aware at what point in time

you were switched to a single tarrif please

look at your bills.

i'll be back later.

either way mind

I don't think its 'fair & resonable' for them the gain money

by calculating the higher readings as day rate even if it is correct.

i'd also get them to class you as vulnerable too

you clearly are.

dx

and they

Ok will get the bills sent to your mail dx, thanks for all the help you are giving me, I really appreciate it.

I was only put on the single tariff in the beginning of May this year, because they told me it would lower my bills.

Ive been in contact with them concerning my bills since October 2011, so its something thats been going on for a while.

I will go ( or try to go, as I can rarely get onto my account on the website) to the website and copy & paste the bills to you.

Nope cant get onto the website, they are " updating" it or something.

Just for info, I was on the day/night tariff from when I moved in here in Feb 2011...right from the start my bills were much higher than my old house ( a large 3 bed, 3 storey victorian, so it was a shock that the bills for a small 2 bed bungalow were tons higher!)

I gave readings, they were always switched on the website. I queried my usage also, and on more than one occasion BG took out double the amount of direct debit, leaving me with no money, which they apologised for but then did again. and eventually I guess they got sick of my emailing them because they sent me an OWL monitor so I could watch my usage. It was always high even though I didnt use huge amounts of electricity.

On one occasion when I spoke to a customer services rep she told me that because I was on the day/night tariff it was very likely costing me more so she advised me to go on a single tariff. But when I did that, I found I couldnt submit readings, so was at the mercy of huge estimates (based on usage before I got solar panels, which wasnt accurate) so after speaking to them again about the high estimate they put me back on the day/night tariff..and the whole merry-go-round starts again.

My housing association put in the solar panels, choosing tenants who were struggling and on a low income, in the hope it would help. They are amazing, my usage is less than 30p per day amd I havnt had to put my hot water on since they were fitted. So they were supposed to be helping me with my bills, and enabling me to lower my DD, now, because of all this, I cant lower the DD and they are more than likely going to be put up, which I cant afford. So theres not a lot of benefit to the solar panels because of British Gas ensuring my bills are not going to lessened anyway.

I actually feel like cancelling ANY direct debits to British Gas at the moment, and not giving them another penny until this is sorted, but thats not going to help is it.

were you writing down those owl readings

they would be VERY useful

that's how I nailed my issue

I had the PC device that spooled all my reading to a file

I had hard evidence the meter was wrong.

you are more than welcome to email me anything

I also have contacts with them still that can help.

dx

and they

were you writing down those owl readings

they would be VERY useful

that's how I nailed my issue

I had the PC device that spooled all my reading to a file

I had hard evidence the meter was wrong.

you are more than welcome to email me anything

I also have contacts with them still that can help.

dx

Unfortunately no, i wasnt writing down the owl reading : (

Ive just tried getting on the website again but its still down being " worked on" apparently. As soon as i can access it will send you the bills dx, thanks, and anything else i think might help you.

Thanks so much for helping me out like this, I cant tell you have worried i am about it all.

going by what you have posted so far here and via PM

to me it smells

dx

and they

Hi bhb1958,

I'm on the Social Media Team at British Gas and I've just picked up your post above.

Firstly, I'm really sorry that you've had a poor experience with us and I want to put this right for you as quickly as possible.

I'm here to help so please PM me your details and I can take a look at your account to see what's going on.

Thanks

Joe

British Gas Social Media Team

hi ya nice to see you here.

you wont be able to PM yet

and they

Hi joeBG, how do I send you my details? If you cant pm is there another way please? And what details do you need?

Dx, of I send him a pm will he boe able to read it, or can he not read OR send pm?

Thanks